Disc priest question

Are the following stats ok for our only healing priest (disc) in our 2 drake sartharion kill?

Renew: 37 %
    Flash Heal: 31 %
    Prayer of Mending: 20 %
    Penance: 11 %
    Glyph of Power Word: Shield: 1 %

What looks weird to me is the following:
    Power Word: Shield cast only twice
    Greater heal cast zero times
    Penance only 11% of total healing
    This priest was only 6% of the raids total healing.

Is this the position that disc priests normally come in healing? and does the flash heal glyph really make the spell more worth casting than greater heal?

Personally I think we have a terrible disc priest that doesn't know what she is doing. It is also possible I know squat about disc.

Re: Disc priest question

Well from what i have heard a Glyphed Flash Heal is more efficient than a greater. It also depends on the healing job you gave the said priest. If you gave a disc priest a raid healing job then your a fail leader. I can see where penance is only 10% of his healing since it is on a 10 second CD. Renews are always up which is why its such a high percentage. And Flashes are obviously his spam heal. Doesn't seem too bad to me IMO. Put him on a MT and watch him flourish. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah it does depend on what he was healing. Although a disc priest who only casts his shield twice might as well go spec holy.

This priest is almost always 6% or so of the raids healing even in naxx and on trash. Also pre wrath she insisted on being disc when it was not all too hot for healing because she "Likes a big mana bar"

Perhaps tank healing is perfect for her.

What jod did she have? Cuz srsly if she was raid healing.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dominada
    This priest is almost always 6% or so of the raids healing even in naxx and on trash. Also pre wrath she insisted on being disc when it was not all too hot for healing because she "Likes a big mana bar"

Perhaps tank healing is perfect for her.
    Well now I'm just more leaning to a bad player...People who purposely hurt their character's performance because of things like, "wanting a big mana bar", usually just aren't very good.

Putting her on the tank could work. Maybe it's her "true calling" as a healer. heh Or maybe your tank will die....time will tell I guess.

I healed as disc on Sath 25man with two drakes up and had the following breakdown

46% Flash Heal
    40% Penance
    6% Binding Heal
    3% Prayer of mending
    3% PW: Shield 25 hits

The number of PWS may be a little lower on this fight if the priest is healing the main tank as they should be saved and used to mitigate the breath rather than when the cooldown is up.

OP penance was way way too low.

Disc (with the exception of Sarth +3d) should use their shield on the main target every cd. Penance also should be much much higher as the poster above me mentioned.

I'm gonna have to agree, you might have a priest you are carrying in ur raid.

Disc's strengths are not goin to be reflected in a standard healin meter, because they prevent a lot of dmg instead of healin it.

just send her to EJ's for the godly healin compendium and if they dont get it after reading that you might just have a bad player on ur hands

Personally I think we have a terrible disc priest that doesn't know what she is doing.
    This.

Are the following stats ok for our only healing priest (disc) in our 2 drake sartharion kill?

Is this the position that disc priests normally come in healing? and does the flash heal glyph really make the spell more worth casting than greater heal?

Personally I think we have a terrible disc priest that doesn't know what she is doing. It is also possible I know squat about disc.
    Yes your disc priest is terrible.

The first problem : Renew. A Disc priest should NEVER EVER use renew. Flash Heal is more mana efficient, can crit, takes the same amount of time. and benefits from more disc talents than Renew. At no point should a Disc priest ever cast renew. Flash Heal does MORE HPS for less mana than renew, and it does it NOW.

The second problem : Penance 11% ? Seriously? Why even bother to spec for Disc if you don't cast Penance EVERY TIME it's up off of CD? At a moderate gearing level the spell is FREE of mana cost, stacks grace 3x, has 3x the chance to proc a Divine Aegis, has 3x the chance to proc "on cast" trinkets and effects, and did I mention it should be FREE MANA COST.
    Seriously I just cast this every time it's off of CD even if the tank doesn't need it. Worst case scenario it costs me 100 mana. Best case scenario I GAIN mana. That's right I gain mana from healing someone AND I help the other healers by dropping the incoming damage by 3% and buffing incoming healing by 6%. This should be (Saphiron and Loatheb excluded) the #1 heal for a disc priest on the overall healing.

The third problem : You think this priest should actually cast Greater Heal. This spell should not be on the hotbar of a disc priest for the same reason that renew should be off of it. Flash Heal x 2 is just as effective as a Greater Heal is and it keeps your tank from dying between the first and second cast when you might lose the tank during the days long cast of greater heal. If you REALLY need to put a big heal on the tank, just cast Penance instead. If Penance is down Shield the tank then wait for Penance to be ready. If you just can't wait that long, cast Flash Heal twice and be done with it. Greater Heal = no no for a Disc Priest. Leave that silliness to the Holy Priests.

The fourth problem : Your priest is god awful. Seriously, like terrible. 6% at overall healing WITHOUT casting PW:S more than twice? Your priest is probably the same type of person that brings a Hunter, Rogue, Mage, or Warlock to a raid and manages to just edge out the MT for overall damage. This person is dead weight and needs to be taught how to heal or gotten rid of. I can top effective healing meters with Holy Paladins and still about 20% of my "healing" is through mitigated damage with Grace, Divine Aegis, or PW:S.

The solution : Tell your priest to take renew and greater heal off of her hotbar. Place said healer in the role of keeping the OT alive since I'm guessing multi-target healing is an issue for her. I'm assuming that with 6% raid healing done this means you're doing 25 man. Lord knows you don't want this to be the person keeping your MT alive. Have this priest cast Penance EVERY time the cooldown is up. Have this priest cast Flash Heal if the OT falls below 75% and Penance is on CD. Cast PoM every cooldown. That's it. That's really all there is to heal as a bare bones skill Disc Priest. Like all other classes there are tons of other things to flesh out your ability with, but keeping it simple is the best solution for solving a terrible player.

Suggestions : Have your priest make a macro that casts PW:S on herself. Have her make another macro that casts Flash Heal on herself. I'm guessing this priest spends a lot of time standing on fires or in blizzards. This will help YOU by keeping one of your healers alive longer and then she won't have to switch targets while healing herself.

Talent Tree for a bare bones skill Disc Priest.
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbuhxtMx0VfMtbE0cc

This tree assumes that your priest is fairly bad at mana conservation (which I'm guessing is true, or is true for her gear level) and that there is a supplementary shaman or other priest able to buff the spellpower that is missing from the Divine Spirit of this tree.

Once your priest learns to conserve mana, has better gear, and learns some more advanced playing skills she can move to this build:
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbuhxtMxoifRtbezc

This second tree offers more survival tools for your priest's healing target (Pain Suppression, Renewed Hope) optional dpser or healer buffing (Power Infusion) and a self heal for when things are looking grim (Desperate Prayer).

Once she learns how to operate PW:S effectively (and the fix is in for the Rapture effect on non mana targets) then she can work on slipping PW:S in sometimes before a Penance to gain a few more seconds on those extremely mana dependent fights where every second spent in regen is a blessing. It also helps to gain some more Divine Aegis love from the crit.

Suggested Glyphs :
    MAJORS
    Flash Heal - DEFINITELY required for Disc healing. Pretend this glyph says "MAKES YOUR CRIT FLASH HEALS REFUND THE COST OF THE SPELL!"
    PW:S - DEFINITELY required for Disc healing. Disc's greatest tool after Penance and Flash Heal is PW:S.
    Prayer of Healing - Highly suggested since most of the other glyphs suck for PvE Disc. That and Disc needs some AoE healing help any way it can get it. GREAT when combined with the Inner Focus talent for a free spell with +25% crit.

MINORS
    Glyph of Fade - reduced mana cost on fade. Sure, why not. Nice to know it's cheaper when you've landed a crappy pug tank that likes to let adds slip by.
    Glyph of Fortitude - reduced mana cost on PW:F. Useful for not drinking so much during buff time or casting fort on the recently dead. Meh.
    Glyph of Shadow Fiend - restores 5% mana when your fiend bites it. It's a toss up between the Shadow Protection one for slot 3 honestly. The Fiend glyph can be replaced by simply timing your fiend better OR 20 seconds of replenish!

Well that's all I've got for you now. Hopefully this helped in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by zizfizziks
    Yes your disc priest is terrible.

The first problem : Renew. A Disc priest should NEVER EVER use renew. Flash Heal is more mana efficient, can crit, takes the same amount of time. and benefits from more disc talents than Renew. At no point should a Disc priest ever cast renew. Flash Heal does MORE HPS for less mana than renew, and it does it NOW.
    Ofc u should use renew, it keeps ur MT/OT hp bar from falling trough the flor..

Talent Tree for a bare bones skill Disc Priest.
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbuhxtMx0VfMtbE0cc

This tree assumes that your priest is fairly bad at mana conservation (which I'm guessing is true, or is true for her gear level) and that there is a supplementary shaman or other priest able to buff the spellpower that is missing from the Divine Spirit of this tree.

Once your priest learns to conserve mana, has better gear, and learns some more advanced playing skills she can move to this build:
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbuhxtMxoifRtbezc

This second tree offers more survival tools for your priest's healing target (Pain Suppression, Renewed Hope) optional dpser or healer buffing (Power Infusion) and a self heal for when things are looking grim (Desperate Prayer).
    theres only one good disc build, dosnt mather if ur good or bad
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbuhxtMxoifRtfxzc

u dont need any point in spell warding. its useless in pve. and in a raid u will almost always have a shammy to give the +SP.

depending on the way u play a disc priest, PoM is also very use full, i start of the fight with it up and keep it up, allows for crits without the cast time. renew is basically useless, i sometimes use it on fights were im constantly on the move (i know its not a raid, but the last boss in nexus). but penance should always be on cd and so should pw:s, no reason not to and it can only benefit u.

This priest is the wife if our GM

How to I politely tell her she sucks and needs to kick it up a notch?

This priest is the wife if our GM

How to I politely tell her she sucks and needs to kick it up a notch?
    Assign her to heal the MT and when he dies blame her.

It looks a bit odd to me... when i'm disc penance is easily the highest heal spell, sure it has an 8 sec CD (talented) but it costs 618 mana for a heal equal to Gheal (1200 odd mana) and it's mostly instant... doesnt look to me he is casting that every CD which he should because it's gotta be the most effecient heal there is.

Renew is interesting... i only really use that when I have nothing else to cast, i'm suprised to see it so high... perhaps he was raid healing? Renew on the raid would do a decent amount of healing... so not sure what to think about that.

Only 2 PW:S is very odd... he should be casting PW:S every weakened soul debuff on the tank... again i'm assuming he was raid healing (very odd for his spec) because that should be cast every 15sec of the encounter

Forget the priests actual healing output... throw away healing meters in terms of healing output, it's a stupid way to evaluate healers and it really really annoys me how people put so much stock in it. Healing meters won't show you how much damage was prevented by the disc priest... grace will reduce someones damage by 3%, PW:S reduceds the next 4-5K of damage which isnt recored and then you have the divine aegis every crit which could reduce who knows how much... instead you should be evaluating the disc priest on whether he kept his target alive and how much they spiked and how stressful healing was during the encounter... those are far more important things than raw healing.

Ps.

I forgot, Gheal isn't really used that much by a disc priest, they will tend to spam Flash Heal, however I do like utilising Gheal directly after casting PW:S as you get an insane haste buff and your Gheal is about a 1.5 to 1.7s cast. Still dont be suprised if you dont see many.

Oh it gets better, she is self proclaimed "healing bitch" and gives out the healing assignments. about 6 months ago I gave her shit about her healing in our /heal channel (I'm a shadow priest) she whined to the GM (her husband) and he made all non healers get out of the heal channel.

Oh it gets better, she is self proclaimed "healing bitch" and gives out the healing assignments. about 6 months ago I gave her shit about her healing in our /heal channel (I'm a shadow priest) she whined to the GM (her husband) and he made all non healers get out of the heal channel.
    Had one of these. I gave a nice big "Fuck you" over ventrilo as I gquit. Everyone who mattered knew why I left, and these guys never touched Kael until 3.0, while I was in Sunwell in 2.4.3. Do that math.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~