Which two trinkets should I be going with??

Im very confused about which trinkets I should be using as a shadow priest. Currently I have been using the sundial and the hit trinket from Heroic VH ( havent been able to get dying curse to drop and win the roll). I won the Illustration of the Dragon Soul last night and now have to make a decision. With my current gear setup I can switch the lost jewel ring to a ring with hit on it and replace the hit trinket with the illustration but it just seems like im shifting equipment around that isnt making much of a difference.

On a side note I keep seeing shadow priests with the sundial and the dying curse putting out the most dps. Is this just a coincidence or are those two the best combo to go with?

Re: Which two trinkets should I be going with??

Getting gear for not immident use is perfectly fine.

Illustration is probably better the Sundial.

Dying Curse is superb. One of the best trinkiets ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Knf
    Illustration is probably better the Sundial.
    Actually it's not.

I would pick 3 trinkets for best-of-the-best gear set, not two.

Sundial of the Exiled
    Illustration of the Dragon Sou
    Dying Curse

[ item = 40373 ]

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40373 I always saw a dps boost from my timbals focusing crystal, not sure if the math has been done on this one.

Ultimately, Illustration of the Dragon Soul + Dying Curse is the best combo.

Quote Originally Posted by meowfecta
    I can switch the lost jewel ring to a ring with hit on it and replace the hit trinket with the illustration but it just seems like im shifting equipment around that isnt making much of a difference.
    This shift is rather significant. Mark of the Prisoner to Illustration is a huge dps increase. You just need to make sure your hit is OK. Pick up Dying Curse for sure though and swap it with the Sundial when you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Actually it's not.

I would pick 3 trinkets for best-of-the-best gear set, not two.

Sundial of the Exiled
    Illustration of the Dragon Sou
    Dying Curse
    Guaranteed SP is always better than crit chance, thats not to say you ignore crit but major SP gains are far better than slight crit gains... www.shadowpriest.com also ranks the Illustration at 195 PP compared to 159.33 which is a fair indication it's superior.

As for the 2 trinkets you should aim for? I still believe the best setup is Illustration & Dying Curse.

In all honesty it will be different from fight to fight. On some the +200sp will stack fast and never go away, on others it may drop off (since as far as I know it no longer procs from "any" spell you cast), but the same can be said about an "unlucky" proc from Sundial/Dying that is wasted because you can't cast during the 10sec, or something similar. I see this constantly (I have Dying Curse + Sundial). To bad I have had no luck with geting the Illustration so far... I will probably take it over Sundial for most fights when I do get it.

I've been running sundial + illlustration (got the curse last night), and my fellow spriest ran dying curse + sundial. His spells would peak higher (when both trinkets proc), but in the long run I did more damage. Our gear's nearly the same, save for the trinkets. I'm still not sure whether to run illustration + (sundial or curse) or to go with curse + sundial :/

Quote Originally Posted by Knf
    On some the +200sp will stack fast and never go away, on others it may drop off
    I'm trying to think how it's possible to not attack for 10 seconds during a boss fight.
    Maexxna - If you get webbed and your hunters are terrible and don't break it instantly
    Gothik the Harvester - If he teleports to the other side and dps can't push him down far enough to tp again
    Kel'Thuzad - If you get mind controlled

3 of 17 current boss fights have maybes but are is still possible to keep it up during those 3. trash on the other hand may be different. depends on how fast you clear.

I used to have the Darkmoon Card Crusade which was just a weaker version of the Illustration and there are certainly encounters (whether they exist at the moment or not) than can lead to you dropping your stack.

You would have to lose it several times before it performed worse than most other trinkets though... it's ranked as 195 PP for a 200 PP gain... meaning that stacking it according to theorycraft will lose you 5 PP... the next best ranked trinket is ranked around 160 PP... so that gives you an idea of how many times you would have to lose the stacks before it wasn't worthwhile.

Geting Ice Block on Saph would be another one.

I'm not saying this is common, only that it may happen even now, my point was: we don't know what is comming in Ulduar, and we ARE NOT gearing up for the CURRENT joke content, are we?

Alot of people seems to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    I used to have the Darkmoon Card Crusade which was just a weaker version of the Illustration
    But you can stack the buff with no damage spells for illus yes? Levitate/inner fiore etc I thought I read.

Pre-3.0.8 Levitate stacked the illustration buff, as of 3.0.8 only healing / dmg spells stack it (pws, mind flay etc).