Page 1 of 2
LastLast

<Professions> At 80!?!

G'day all.

Anyways, I've got an 80 Death Knight I've been playing who doesn't have any Professions, I never bothered to pick any up at 55 (Yes, I do realize I'm gimping myself).
    I've never really been a fan of Professions and got sick of them on my Shaman.

I was just wondering what I should pick up, keeping in mind that I hate gathering (Herbs/Mining and whatever).
    I'm not incredibly rich, and mates are making loads of gold off some professions.

Basically, I don't want a profession where I have to run around on my mount looking for something.
    Would Enchanting be best for me?
    I'd appreciate it if you gave me some suggestions on what to pick up.

Thanks for the help.

Re: <Professions> At 80!?!

Any assistance would be helpful .

I've been making tons of gold with Alchemy and JC lately. No gathering, not much of a time commitment. Although, JC has been going down in profitability since everyone and their mom is doing it, and the patch seems to have screwed it up even more. Still decent money, but no more easy-mode 10k a week off it.

Inscription is also pretty profitable right now, and it also doesn't require much in the way of gathering stuff up.

Jewelcrafting... Regardless what you pick, JC has to be one. JC is now the best prof in the game atm.
    In life pain is mandatory; Suffering however, is optional...
    Source: Naruto

How would I level up Jewelcrafting without having a gathering prof?

Buy the materials :P
    Mostly cheap except for the hump between 250 and 300.
    Enchanting is pretty solid if you actually do dailies, since you can get greens to DE that way.

Honestly, if you're looking to make money, I suggest not bothering with a profession. They can be quite profitable, but the amount of time you'll take to level them and then figure out how to make them profitable would be better spent doing dailies or something.

This is not to say they aren't pretty good profitability.. JC is probably the easiest for profit, since you just buy gems, cut them, and then re-sell them. Problem being, as was said, loooot of JCs now. They really gave JCs too many benefits in terms of dps/tanking/etc.

I recommend against engineering or blacksmithing, as they are pretty hefty investments for (I'm guessing) low profit.

If your goal is to maximize your character's potential, BS-JC is generally the best pairing (versatile). chanting-JC is alright, and LW-JC is if you know you want SP/AP/stam..

Chanting can be quite profitable if you pay attention to twink chants, since they seem to sell quite well. Lot of people leveling alts will say "Y'know, I think I -will- throw crusader on this new mace. It's expensive, but it'll speed up leveling so much and make it more fun." Then bam, 75-90g chant bought.

Hmmm.
    I don't think I'll grab JC, won't have enough Gold.

Would Enchanting be viable if I just ran through instances on my Death Knight disenchanting all the Blues/Greens?

Would have to make alot of runs though

I'd say if you don't mind running through low level dungeons to gather greens and blues, enchanting is great. You could even go the extra mile and grab tailoring just to be able to make stuff to DE. Most dungeons drop a ton of cloth anyway, but that part is completely your call.

I might grab Enchanting.
    I don't really mind revisiting old content and it should be a breeze running through it.
    I've been trying to get the Baron mount so a few runs in there will be a bonus once I'm high enough.
    Tailoring might be good, is there any other viable Profession besides that for what I'm particularly doing?

I´d say running through instances is the way to go for getting mats to lvl enchanting, also if you
    happen to have access to a tailor, craft the cheapest shardable stuff for all the damn cloth that drops.
    Maybe 40-50% of the mats for skilling enchanting last time i did it, was from worthless tailoring
    and blasmithing-greens i had stacked up on when skilling tailoring and blacksmithing on other characters.

Maybe go for Enchanter + skinner? Use the leather and make more cheap greens to speed up the enchanting.

Tailoring seems to be the way to go for the second one.
    Just pick up loads of cloth while doing the instances, craft them, then DE them on the spot and have more room in the inventory.

If you don't have enough gold, you should get a gathering profession

Not sure how it is on your server but on mine im making a lot right now from Enchanting and Jewlcrafting. Since everyone is gearing up at very quick rate enchanting mats sell for crap loads.
    I buy Stacks of common northrend gems and stacks of eternal earth then make
    something like http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42337 (sun rock ring) with JC'ing then disenchant them all.
    Atm the buy / sell ratio is around 1:3

Lol, enchanting and tailoring are pretty much the ONLY professions you can pick up if you don't want to have a gathering profession along with what you choose and if you don't want to buy the mats off the AH.

Enchanting could make you some decent money, but it seems right now the two biggest money makers are definitely inscription with the Darkmoon cards (especially if you get a Nobles card, that's 1k+ alone), and jewelcrafting. Both would require you to pick up a gathering profession to level but really that's just more money to be made selling the mats once you don't need them as much anymore.

Tailoring is like leatherworking, you can make some nice leg enchants and a few useful pieces, but other than the leg kits they aren't in huge demand nor are they huge money makes. Blacksmithing is all around pretty crappy when it comes to making money. Eternal Belt Buckles are basically the only thing they can make of value, which don't sell for hardly any more than the mats to make em would go for. You can make the epic Titansteel stuff but again, it barely goes for more than you could make off the Titansteel bars the pieces require to make them.

Do dailies!

Get JC and Enchanting (or BS when money isn't a problem). When you're high enough JC, make cheap rings/necks and DE them for huge profit.

Quite simply, JC is hands down the most profitable profession in the game atm (aside from gathering...). Even if you do it on a small scale, you can buy like 500g worth of saronite, prospect it, and sell all your gems for 1500g most of the time. Even if you hit a dry spell, selling perfect gems is pretty profitable in itself - especially perfect bold, runed and veiled. JC is really a win/win, because you get amazing stat benefits from it as well.

On the other hand, my friend (who is easily the richest person in WoW that I know...) swears by leatherworking. He'll buy mats for leg armors, and sell them for 100g more than what he pays for mats. He could do this 20 times per day and sell all of them. Fur linings are pretty good stat benefits, too.

On the other hand, mining and herbalism are wonderful for making money too. Head to storm peaks, fly circles looking for TLPD, and within an hour you'll have probably 4 stacks of herbs that sell for 50-70g on my server. You'll also get 4 or 5 primal lifes and 3 or 4 frost lotuses. I'm not too sure about mining, but titansteel cooldown and finding titanium etc are great money also.

You're really gimping yourself if you are short on money and choose to skip a gathering profession. The best ways to make money in this game involve already having enough money to buy ore/herbs/mats and utilizing your crafting profession to turn them into big money. People are lazy, and most would much rather buy a pre-cut gem, glyph already made, or a pre-made leg armor rather than finding out the mats and finding a crafter...even if it would save them money.

Pretty much every crafting profession is going to be expensive to level at this point.

if you are raiding, youd get the most out of BS/JC due to the extra sockets+epic gems(also not needing to use blue gems anymore to hit meta requirements). JC is also a huge money maker. Im a JC and i just buy afew stacks of Saronite off of the AH, prospect, cut the gems, and make a killing selling them on the AH, so in the long run that would be a good money maker for you.

JC/Enchanting would also be a decent combo, but more on the money making perspective, not so much on the stat bonus you get from it.
    Wow account disabled, waiting for D3!

I am going to lvl JC 100% sure. But I wonder what shall my other proffesion be?
    I want enchanting/leatherworking or mining =)

Please help (PS: I am a mage, and going for pvp)

The thing that makes engineering lowest profit of all the crafting professions is that the majority of items are not geared for combat and are soulbound on pickup and there's always mats that you have to buy off the AH in order to complete an item. Blacksmithing doesn't seem to have that much of a difficulty, in that the items are usually bound on equip and even the highest level items, the titansteel ones, have the majority of their mats you can grind for in mining, except for frozen orbs.