Thread: Holy DPS

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Holy DPS

I'm bored so I'm thinking about alternative specs..
    Anyone tried to dps as holy properly yet? Like spamming Smite and Holy Fire and speccing for it too.
    Any WWS or numbers you come up with? Tried on the dummies?
    EU forum is ignored.
    Game balance is not ok.
    Blue posters contradict themselves.
    Blizzards attitude towards us players sucks.

Re: Holy DPS

"Insert NO here"

Paladin AoE healing is not overpowered - our mana regen is.

Glyph of Holy Light has an 8 yd range limitation, heals random targets (even ones at full health), and procs off of the most mana-inefficient heal in the game. It's not OP.

However, paladins that know what they're doing use several strategies (Divine Plea, Glyph of Seal of Wisdom, 4 set bonus, crit/int stacking, etc) to regen so much mana that we're now able to spam a spell that was never meant to be "spamable".

For everyone crying out for a nerf to paladin AoE healing, it's far more likely to come as a nerf to divine plea or some other regen ability.

Also, holy paladins should not be judging light since the amount healed is determined by sp+ap, unless there are no other paladins in the raid. JoL is also highly situational (such as Saphiron) and I'm not sure how accurate it is to factor in it's healing numbers when comparing pally healing with other classes.

Edit: apologies for thread pollution here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadas
    Paladin AoE healing is not overpowered - our mana regen is.

Glyph of Holy Light has an 8 yd range limitation, heals random targets (even ones at full health), and procs off of the most mana-inefficient heal in the game. It's not OP.

However, paladins that know what they're doing use several strategies (Divine Plea, Glyph of Seal of Wisdom, 4 set bonus, crit/int stacking, etc) to regen so much mana that we're now able to spam a spell that was never meant to be "spamable".

For everyone crying out for a nerf to paladin AoE healing, it's far more likely to come as a nerf to divine plea or some other regen ability.

Also, holy paladins should not be judging light since the amount healed is determined by sp+ap, unless there are no other paladins in the raid. JoL is also highly situational (such as Saphiron) and I'm not sure how accurate it is to factor in it's healing numbers when comparing pally healing with other classes.
    ummm..
    wrong thread?

anyway, yes, holy dps is a spec, it exists, and it can put out some pretty nice numbers. I prefer to refer to this spec as "Jesus Cannon" spec.

Problems:
    Mana inefficient
    You're holy.... everyone is going to have you heal
    You have 0 utility.. oh wait you can heal, and you're holy, so people will expect you to.

I tried it once just for lullz in BT, I got surprisingly pretty numbers right before going oom 1 minute into the fight.

Welcome to "the wrong thread" ^^

I'm not sure mana is that much of a problem anymore though. Could be fun to try it out perhaps. It could be good :P
    EU forum is ignored.
    Game balance is not ok.

I'm leveling my Priest as Holy. Currently level 73 and i'm not doing too bad. I will admit that the DPS and mana are not as great as Shadow would be, but i've done a bunch of instances and could heal with 1 finger. Not to mention, it's nice to make all the naysayers eat their words.

To the OP, I say, if you wanna try it, go for it. It's your $15/month
    Being assertive is NOT trolling. It's alarming how many people (including moderators) still have not got that memo.

I went from 1-80 with holy spec, just some few points in disc at that point. I had shadow for about 2 hours playing time max, and I didnt like it. hehe
    Yes it goes slower, yes I can only kill 2-3 mobs then I need to sit down, but its ok for me I didnt like shadow at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tebby
    I went from 1-80 with holy spec, just some few points in disc at that point. I had shadow for about 2 hours playing time max, and I didnt like it. hehe
    Yes it goes slower, yes I can only kill 2-3 mobs then I need to sit down, but its ok for me I didnt like shadow at all.
    /applause
    Being assertive is NOT trolling. It's alarming how many people (including moderators) still have not got that memo.

Holy dps was a pet project for me at the end of TBC. You could raid with it and run heroics, but it was always 10-15% behind shadow and as others have said mana was a significant issue. The joys of it were holy nova aoe and no resistance, it was a boring cast sequence but a real surprise for horde in BGs.

With the amount of spirit, crit and haste on gear in WoTLk it makes holy dps look interesting as these are the stats you'd need to stack outside of spell damage. The concern with it is hit. I think you'd have to stack too much of it to compensate for not having shadow focus and misery. It would gimp your gear too much. Threat might be a minor issue as well.

In the end, it would be something fun for heroics, but that's it. Right now I'm extremely pleased with shadow PVE so I don't see any reason to do it now.

holy dps /leveling (commonly known as smite) is really good, you can dps like a pro and heal like a pro. the simple logic explanation for my bold statement is that you are taking every possible talent point to MAX your spellpower. while i was leveling as smite, at level 75, i was running around with 1500 sp +. you compensate poor holy damage coefficient with extra sp so you can do fine.

the thing about shadow leveling is that i find a lot of my spells are wasted. pain tick for 2 or 3 and the mob's already dead. it's a bit slow to get the damage onto the mob.

to do smite, pick up power infusion, focused power, improved DS, and spiritual guidance, and of course SURGE OF LIGHT but don't forget spirit tap. Stack spirit, intel (you need max size mana pool),hit,and crit. spirit tap is also very useful in instances, as if your SW crit, your spirit increases which means your spellpower increases temporally and you do more damage.

i don't go oom while i'm questing, never ever. while questing, your rotation should be holy fire + pw:shield (get reflective shield in disc tree as an option) + smite + smite + SW.

in instances, you should do holy fire + swain + devour plague + smite + smite +SW (when not on cool down). never use mindblast, it's extremely mana inefficient for smite.

as smite, you heal like a holy priest. pom + renew on tank, pop power infusion on long fights to save mana, but you shouldn't have any problems as surge of light proc pretty often so you get free flash heals.

as for dps numbers, i wasn't hit capped when i was leveling so my spells miss a lot lol. but your dps tend to increase by at least 100 when you have a boomkin in your group. but without boomkin i would say 1000-1200 in none fancy gear before you start running heroics. it's not great, but it's the best possible hybrid build you can get if you want to dps and heal while leveling.

with 1600sp (that includes all buffs), my holy fire hits for 3400 crit and 2100 regular, smite is a bit smaller than that. (somewhere around 2000 regular and 2900~3100 on crit).

if you want to raid or do heroics as smite, i highly suggest get your gear using shadow speci first, because pugs don't like carrying people with fresh 80 gear, and if you are smite it's just more complicated to explain/convince people.

here's the speci i'm using when i was smite:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...h=000000000000

if you are lucky and surge of light proc in bg, it's amazingly fun. with a combination of holy fire/smite/SW/and mindblast + SOL proc, you can dish out 10k damage before the enemy even gets close to you. but otherwise, you get killed a lot because you don't have any survivability. best is just position yourself, trinket and nuke.

GM/Raid Leader of <Air>, Sargeras-US, Alliance
    13/13M Mythic Morning/Day-Time Raiding Guild

Now recruiting for Legion! Apply at air-guild.com

shadow dps /leveling (commonly known as pewpew) is really good, you can dps like a pro and heal like a pro. the simple logic explanation for my bold statement is you are talking every possible talent point to MAX your damage. while I was leveling as pewpew, at level 70, I was running around with 1400 sp +. you compensate poor holy healing coefficient with the extra sp so you can do fine.

the thing about shadow leveling is that i find a lot of my spells are wasted. pain tick for 2 or 3 and the mob's already dead. it's a bit slow to get the damage onto the mob.
    On a more serious note. If you're using SW:P after level 70, you're doing it wrong.

! i know i was missing something there ^^"

GM/Raid Leader of <Air>, Sargeras-US, Alliance
    13/13M Mythic Morning/Day-Time Raiding Guild

Now recruiting for Legion! Apply at air-guild.com

Its not bad, but like everyone else is saying its mana deficient. Holy was not meant to be a viable DPS spec as it still incorporates the 5SR into play and if you are dps you should never be out of the 5 sec rule.

Anyone tried it full out as level 80 with good gear then? I mean if it did more than 2-2.5k dps in heroics it would be quite viable (Lately I've been lucky when I find PuGs doing more than 400dps/person :S). Perhaps not in raids, but since you can heal quite well with the same spec it could be fine as a hybrid role.
    EU forum is ignored.
    Game balance is not ok.

Sim craft has shown that holy dps isn't even remotely viable... in TBC the theorycraft showed you could probably output something very similar to shadow but there was no utility. This time the numbers are so inferior that it is completely unthinkable to even try it.

Holy is designed to do small static burst so healers can grind for the daily repairs, and play offensive in PvP.

It's not meant to scale with gear, like shadow does. Thus why it do bad dps.

Its defenetily fun to play. We currently have a priest in guild that for some reason is hell bent on developing his smite spec. So for shits and giggles we let him. Currently in blues and greens with some epics hes only doing about 1800 dps in 10 mans.

The theory behind smite spec is to make sure you pick up power infusion, Imp DI and spirit tap for mana regen, and surge of light. build your gear/enchants/gems around crit/spell power/haste with stats as int/stam/spirit. Basically the goal is to crit as much as possible to proc SoL and use power infusion as much as possible and dont forget to refresh the dots.

Its def a fun spec to play with but will never reach the dps out put of shadow

Basically run with a build like: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVI0z...bZ0Et0bbVbZG0o
    You should always be sw and sw:d when ever its up to try and proc imp spirit tap

But he's not getting the 6% hit that shadow gets, but assuming another shadowpriest, he'll still need 3% more hit from his gear than the other priest.

Which is serious major gimping of the stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    But he's not getting the 6% hit that shadow gets, but assuming another shadowpriest, he'll still need 3% more hit from his gear than the other priest.

Which is serious major gimping of the stats.
    If at endgame, Yes if not then no.

I'd really be interested in the results to be sure, I'm shadow but i really really dislike it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snopptrollet
    Anyone tried it full out as level 80 with good gear then? I mean if it did more than 2-2.5k dps in heroics it would be quite viable (Lately I've been lucky when I find PuGs doing more than 400dps/person :S). Perhaps not in raids, but since you can heal quite well with the same spec it could be fine as a hybrid role.
    "Hybrid role" is completely theoretical. If the other healers in the raid are able to cover the healing well enough while a smite priest casts a holy fire or something attempting to dps they don't really need that extra priest for healing. In which case, they'll replace him with a mage or something and finish the instance faster AND get some raid utility out of it.

The only time that hybrid concept like that works is a fight like Loetheb where the healers have stretches where they can't heal and therefore might as well dps. It also works for fights like Leotheras the Blind where the healer HAS to fight on his own. Beyond that it really isn't effective.

The hybrid role has some PvP utility in that it is a healer that can throw out some occasional dps but it isn't fast or reliable enough to scare anyone.

Majika