Thread: Post Your UI

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by transorD View Post
    Go ahead and tell me how bad it is....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...811_232112.jpg
    How??? I never understood what people saw in the default UI. I just can not play with it. Let alone having a ton of stuff on screen. I've been in the beta since like ever and I've never played it because I can't stand the default UI at all. It's just so ugly and cluttered.

Deleted
    Here is my visible UI There is some hidden action bars aswell (shown on mouse over)
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-a...112_002735.jpg

Please tell me what your thoughts are on the UI!

Please make some sort of thumbnail if you want to embed an image.
    ~ Treeston

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    How wide is that widescreen?
    3 monitor i suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Ruie View Post
    Hello! I do not post on MMO-Champion, but I was happy to show off my UI to fellow healers! I have tried many, many things with many different types of UIs. Some guild members the other day finally made me try out ElvUI. I will say that I have tried it out before but it felt so clunky and you weren't able to customize much of anything. Nowadays it is pretty amazing and for the last two days I have been liking my UI so far.

-snip-
    Is that your stance bar on the top of left chat? Freaking genius. Is that like a power aura's thing and you have stances bound or are those actually clickable?

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    How wide is that widescreen?
    Just shy of 4 meters wide. I was waxing my floors and moved all the furniture and electronics into bedrooms - I've wanted to try an eyefinity setup for gaming for a while so I took the opportunity. It's neat but the giant pixels and poor colour gamut of televisions make for pretty crumby computer monitors. It has convinced me to look into buying a more 23" displays for my computer a regular setup.

Would you mind clarifying how your "combat log processor" concept is implemented and what "clever tricks" you're thinking of?
    Typically UI elements are linked up to events that cause them to do stuff like update. Your unit frames listen for spells dealing damage to you and when they hear that, they'll scamper off to redraw themselves. There's a very direct event => do calculations => update display sequence that happens.

I'm imagining a system where UI elements redraw themselves on a schedule (say once ever second for example). Instead of asking warcraft for information about unit buffs/debuffs/etc directly, it an addon I've written that consolodates data.

So your health frames say "it's been a second, hey touchy: what HP do I have?" and I'll respond with an answer.

The way I generate that answer can vary. If I've noticed that health is going up and down by ~2k all the time I might just replay "you're still at 100%, don't worry about it" even though you're only at 99.5% HP at that exact second. If I notice something important (ie: you just took 150k damage) I might scream "Hey, unit frames! update right now!" and they'd do their redraw routine ahead of schedule. I might say "update your display 3x more often" if I notice you're standing in fire, etc.

What's cool is you can extend that - I could maybe make cooldown auras that are clever enough not to say "use all the things" on ultraxion when DBM says that fading light or hour of twilight are going to cast in the next 5 seconds.

Imagine unit frames that change color based on incoming DPS and raid timers. IE, I'm tanking an amalgamation - my processor notices the raid is doing 300,000 DPS to it. It notices it has 3M HP -- that means it'll know that it'll be dead in 10 seconds and it should warn me: change the name/health red so I notice that I have to do something with it (ie: move it over bloods). Maybe I could have it notice that my amalg has 6 stacks of blood on it and display my "use shieldwall" button before it actually gets to 9 stacks. I could have it scream "slow down" in /s if it notices that it has <10 seconds to live but only 5 bloods are dead on the ground.

Imagine if I could say "show the external raid cooldowns that are up" as a result of DBM noticing that big damage is about to come in, or a tank is sitting at low health for a long time without needing to re-code that for every single aura.

Maybe an aura that watches DPS going into your target, estimates it's time-to-die, and displays information to an arcange mage to spam AB now because it'll be dead before you're OOM. or maybe "don't blow AP now, it's about to phase change".

You can do that sort of thing now but it's complicated and involved. I'd like to see if I can't make that a little easier. Rather than being driven by stuff happening in the combat log I want them to be driven by the game state changing in some important way. Maybe that state changes as a result of single entry, maybe it changes as a result of a dozen entries + events fired by boss mods, or /yells. Either way I want the ability to make my UI elements 'have a memory' and be able to do some prediction rather than just mindlessly parroting back game state.
    Last edited by a21fa7c67f26f6d49a20c2c51; 2012-07-01 at 12:09 AM.

On the discussion of the default ui. It's not as bad as it used to be. Atleast now you can have party frames look like raid frames and the ability to move/unlock the player/target frames. My main problem with the default used to be the frames being so far away up in the corner. Target debuffs, health, spell cd's and your own raidawareness too far away from each other. It's ok now tho :> atleast just to play beta.

--------

Quote Originally Posted by Andosup View Post
    Decied to try out a retro wotlk style minimalistic setup. I'm not sure which one is best. :< Help?

Last edited by Andosup; 2012-07-01 at 02:57 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like the new one better.

And the default ui still looks ugly as shit to. I'd rather have my UI look good and still be functional as well. I'm a tank, so maybe that has something to do with why I hate the default UI so damn much. I like having my health, target, etc in the middle of the screen and nothing else shown basically unless it's something I NEED to show, etc.

Also, it has to look good to for me.

Here's my new one:

Last edited by Bryce; 2012-07-01 at 06:07 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post

I've picked up some new hardware and have a few ideas for now to make an interesting UI.
    I blew everything out and I'm starting from scratch.

Day 1: make some unit frames that update on events that I've fired rather than on combat log events. That'll let me put a "processor" between the combat log and the things that display data and do "clever tricks".

I've lugged all the televisions into the house to make one giant wall of video-game nerdiness (and to test performance of an eyefinity setup). It's been pretty good so far: I'm probably going to go buy some regular computer monitors and keep it permanently. For now the giant pixels on the tv screens made pixel fonts actually viable - normally I hate those.
    If you don't mind me asking, what font are you using for your cast bar text? I know it's a pixel font but it's one I particularly like but I sadly can't seem to find anywhere :<

Deleted

I've picked up some new hardware and have a few ideas for now to make an interesting UI.
    I blew everything out and I'm starting from scratch.

Day 1: make some unit frames that update on events that I've fired rather than on combat log events. That'll let me put a "processor" between the combat log and the things that display data and do "clever tricks".

I've lugged all the televisions into the house to make one giant wall of video-game nerdiness (and to test performance of an eyefinity setup). It's been pretty good so far: I'm probably going to go buy some regular computer monitors and keep it permanently. For now the giant pixels on the tv screens made pixel fonts actually viable - normally I hate those.
    What font is that for the names of yourself and target? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zwair View Post
    Avanti, or less likely Century Gothic.

They're both very similar.

http://www.911fonts.com/font/downloa...ular_14179.htm
    http://www.911fonts.com/font/downloa...gular_4365.htm
    Last edited by Cowt; 2012-07-01 at 02:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by purplehazen View Post
    Is that your stance bar on the top of left chat? Freaking genius. Is that like a power aura's thing and you have stances bound or are those actually clickable?
    Hey! It's Bartender and I actually made it small enough to look like it was fitting into that bar in the chat box. I am quite OCD with things and I did not want that stance bar to be placed randomly. Haha, I am glad that you like it! It is like that for every single one of my characters. I can definitely still click it; however, I just keybind the abilities normally.

Once again you deliver a sweet UI. Will there be a YT series of how to set this up aswell?
    Looking forward to seeing more on this.

If you don't mind me asking, what font are you using for your cast bar text? I know it's a pixel font but it's one I particularly like but I sadly can't seem to find anywhere
    The pixel font is called Seven 7. I'm 99% sure it's just a free font but I can't find the original designer's site to be sure. A google search will offer you a million different places you can download it. I don't want to just post it as a zip incase I'm wrong about it being free.

Cowt guessed correct - it's century gothic - it comes bundled with many popular addons and (i think) Windows or Microsoft Office too.

Deleted
    The pixel font is called Seven 7. I'm 99% sure it's just a free font but I can't find the original designer's site to be sure. A google search will offer you a million different places you can download it. I don't want to just post it as a zip incase I'm wrong about it being free.
    Thanks, much appreciated :>

*correction, the font name is "sevenet 7"

Deleted
    On the discussion of the default ui. It's not as bad as it used to be. Atleast now you can have party frames look like raid frames and the ability to move/unlock the player/target frames. My main problem with the default used to be the frames being so far away up in the corner. Target debuffs, health, spell cd's and your own raidawareness too far away from each other. It's ok now tho :> atleast just to play beta.
    Hey! I rlly like ur UI, its so clean.
    Would be nice if you could share it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crummy View Post
    Once again you deliver a sweet UI. Will there be a YT series of how to set this up aswell?
    Looking forward to seeing more on this.
    That setup is fairly involved - it's got a one-off addon, a metric crapload of one-off lua, and some pretty hacked up pitbull code to make it all work.
    I thought about adding it as a trick to my weak auras series (because you can do that sort of thing with it) but I decided against it when I realized the topics are fairly complicated to explain to non-programmers.

This time I'm keeping track of where I got fonts/audio/etc, I'm avoiding stuff I wouldn't be able to distribute (like expensive fonts) and planning ahead to have permission to distribute addons with my additions. If all that falls through, I've got git racking my changes to addons so I could just toss up some diffs and you could make my UI in 10 seconds.

No promises yet, but I'm planning ahead for sharing my UI way more than I have in the past. Look for more closer to patch 5.0

[...]
    Decied to try out a retro wotlk style minimalistic setup. I'm not sure which one is best. :< Help?

I like this one more... except some small things (I am no fan of pixel fonts in chats, urgs).

Quote Originally Posted by pitschi View Post
    Hey! I rlly like ur UI, its so clean.
    Would be nice if you could share it.
    The new one or the old one? I can't give out the old one because it relies too much on shared media and somehow breaks if you turn off atlasloot_loader. I'll consider it for the new one, but it wouldn't really support different resolutions much, so you'd have to move some things yourself (mainly stuf) to install.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyn View Post
    I like this one more... except some small things (I am no fan of pixel fonts in chats, urgs).
    Yeah I've setteled for the new one as well. More space between stuff made it alot less chaotic. As for the chat pixel font, it's the most readable one I've ever found. Just can't seem to go back to a non pixel perfect, solid, font anymore. And I normally try and use as few fonts as possible. ^^; A lowercase Hooge for chat, chat bubble and tooltip, a uppercase one* for unitframes, grid, dbm and nameplates, and prototype for raid warnings / special warnings and player names (non nameplate ones).

*I may have edited the uppercase hooge a bit, no clue if thats allowed ;_;

Deleted
    The new one or the old one? I can't give out the old one because it relies too much on shared media and somehow breaks if you turn off atlasloot_loader. I'll consider it for the new one, but it wouldn't really support different resolutions much, so you'd have to move some things yourself (mainly stuf) to install.

Yeah I've setteled for the new one as well. More space between stuff made it alot less chaotic. As for the chat pixel font, it's the most readable one I've ever found. Just can't seem to go back to a non pixel perfect, solid, font anymore. And I normally try and use as few fonts as possible. ^^; A lowercase Hooge for chat, chat bubble and tooltip, a uppercase one* for unitframes, grid, dbm and nameplates, and prototype for raid warnings / special warnings and player names (non nameplate ones).

*I may have edited the uppercase hooge a bit, no clue if thats allowed ;_;
    I talked about the new one, it's great My Monitor is on 1920x1080 Resolution. If you need someone for beta test, just PM me