Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Holy spec after 3.1

Hey :>

I was wondering what you guys think will be viable holy specs after 3.1 I was thinking about going for this one:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbzhZcxxcfMqihVIot

Since PoH will be castable on others the mana reduce for group healing will be very nice. 1854 per cast is a lot. 1483,2 sounds better to me. Also increased range on PoH (and CoH ofc) could be very useful.

The difference between my spec nowadays is that i trade Desperate Prayer & Test of Faith for Healing Prayers & Holy Reach (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbzhZcxtcc0qihVIst).

So, what do you think? What will you go for?

Cheers,
    Venara
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

Re: Holy spec after 3.1

I have always found that section of the holy tree a problem, as in which heals should I discount. I think the actual tallents there are poorly layed out, but it's what we have.

Adding range to PoH strikes me as a poor choice for 2 points. The limiting factor with PoH is going to be the cast on a group. It's really going to be good for healing a group of melée or casters holding hands. Not so much as CoH is for just raid and splash damage.

Reducing the cost of PoH however strikes me as something interesting. Your right it costs a stack of mana so it makes sense to reduce this. I am not inclined to sacrifice any later points to make this so.

When combined with the glyph and a proc trinket PoH is going to heal for something magnificant. With PoH, CoH, PoM and holy nova it makes me wonder what is waiting for us that could require or chew up that sort of raid damage.

The spec seems quite good and makes sense.

But you should consider the new shield talent. It might be very good and if thats the case a build like this might be good

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVsbzhxzZcxxcsMqihVIo

Just a suggestion and it's only if the shield talent is good if it's not I would probably go for the first build you linked.
    Behind every great man there is a surprised lady.

15+ Year Old Account

I wouldn't trade Divine Providence and GS for the new shield talent. Speccing 21 pts into discipline means gimping your AoE heals nowadays and it will stay that way after the patch.

Especially when you're going for a spec with Holy Reach and Healing Prayers it makes no sense not to skill Divine Providence.

Personally i'll go for Dual-Spec with a deep discipline build to test it in raids. This way i can have the shield talent you suggested :> Maybe there are fights where it will be much more useful than GS.

Personally I don't think the shield talent is such a fantastic idea... judging by how much mana PW:S costs right now, I'd say its AoE will take an enormous toll on Priests, which, as Holy, you won't have to deal with.

Disc priests need it because they lack AoE heals as it is, and 'bubble' spells benefit them in an array of ways, but as holy... neh, there are so many other fantastic abilities to utilize in such scenarios.

Original creator of the PointlessThread++;

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Artex
    Personally I don't think the shield talent is such a fantastic idea... judging by how much mana PW:S costs right now, I'd say its AoE will take an enormous toll on Priests, which, as Holy, you won't have to deal with.

Disc priests need it because they lack AoE heals as it is, and 'bubble' spells benefit them in an array of ways, but as holy... neh, there are so many other fantastic abilities to utilize in such scenarios.

My thoughts exactly.

If you really want to be able to use this ability as well just dual-spec into discipline and switch based on fights, like me. This way you'll make sure you're prepared for everything and can change your spec whenever you want to. I think this will greatly improve my personal fun while raiding.

Well, Disc and Holy pretty much serve the same purpose... I'd have shadow as my secondary spec, personally, for occasions where DPSing would be needed, or just for the sake of grinding.

Discipline priests are like paladins - they prove to be very useful, but the more you have of them, the less their utility stands out in comparison to their practical healing, especially in complex raid scenarios. In other words, if you already have one or two disc priests in the raid, it's better off just being jack-of-all-trades Holy.

Original creator of the PointlessThread++;

greenmasheen

Quote Originally Posted by Venara

I was wondering what you guys think will be viable holy specs after 3.1 I was thinking about going for this one:

Since PoH will be castable on others the mana reduce for group healing will be very nice. 1854 per cast is a lot. 1483,2 sounds better to me. Also increased range on PoH (and CoH ofc) could be very useful.

The difference between my spec nowadays is that i trade Desperate Prayer & Test of Faith for Healing Prayers & Holy Reach (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbzhZcxtcc0qihVIst).

Cheers,
    Venara
    test of faith was always a meh talent... keeping people topped off is usually the case when i raid, and im never usually playing catch up so test of faith is useless to me. i give up the extra 10% on holy reach because its not a whole lot... if you want to do some research and see if the extra 10% actually pays off, then i suppose an extra point from somewhere would be justified. i dropped imp renew for the pushback resistance because its just really nice to have in circumstances when adds are on ya momentarily. more threat reduction is also nice in cases where i balance aggro when threat wipes etc...

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVI0zhZbxtcsMqihVIot

i heard blizzard may be nerfing holy concentration, but i dont see any talent changes so i guess we will just have to wait and see.

Cheers,
    Venara
    WOOOOAHAHAHAHA WHY DO U GET IMP inner fire its a pve build right lol plz explain this i always got holy reach and D prayer is a SAVIOR in alot of situations for the priests to heal himself and Healing prayers is very very very nice 20% less mana cost for 2 moves THAT ARE USED ALOT PoH and PoM yea and PoH will be castable on ANY GRP come 3.1 so u wil lwant the 2 pts in Healing Prayers talent. Been healing with a holy priest for awhile now cleared all content in WoW very shocked at ur specs horrified seeing imp inner fire why do you have that lol WHY???

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by streamster
    WOOOOAHAHAHAHA WHY DO U GET IMP inner fire its a pve build right lol plz explain this i always got holy reach and D prayer is a SAVIOR in alot of situations for the priests to heal himself and Healing prayers is very very very nice 20% less mana cost for 2 moves THAT ARE USED ALOT PoH and PoM yea and PoH will be castable on ANY GRP come 3.1 so u wil lwant the 2 pts in Healing Prayers talent. Been healing with a holy priest for awhile now cleared all content in WoW very shocked at ur specs horrified seeing imp inner fire why do you have that lol WHY???
    You are so full of fail in multiple ways.

Inner Fire has a spell power bonus which can be increased with Imp. IF. This is really nice.

@greenmasheen:

Why the hell are you dropping Imp. PWF for SR? In serious raids SR is a waste of talent points. I can agree that Healing Focus vs. Imp. Renew can be argued about, though IMO you don't need HF in serious raids, as said before. When you're tanks are doing there job properly you will never have any aggro issues, nor will you have adds on you.

I have already that spec lol...
    With a shield for myself and an HS I never found the case where I needed an instant heal on me, in fact I've never taken DP.
    About Test of Faith, the bonus it gives is very high, but probably the times I have to heal players under 50% hp are really low compared to the PoM tick / FH to DPS'ers at around 70%... I always felt better with having 10% less mana cost on my most useful spell and having improved range on my other most useful spell.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Izenhart
    I have already that spec lol...
    With a shield for myself and an HS I never found the case where I needed an instant heal on me, in fact I've never taken DP.
    About Test of Faith, the bonus it gives is very high, but probably the times I have to heal players under 50% hp are really low compared to the PoM tick / FH to DPS'ers at around 70%... I always felt better with having 10% less mana cost on my most useful spell and having improved range on my other most useful spell.
    Yeah, i'm skilled into DP and i rarely use it at all. One BH will do the trick as well + you're healing another person while healing yourself.

IMO ToF in it's current state is a very weak talent. Seriously, how often do you really heal a person at or below 50% HP? In most cases a riptide, FoL, or something else already got that person to more than 50%.

Acording to what i know, and i think maybe some will be suprised: i'll advise before 'planing' on a tree or changing talents perhaps wait and see how the talents change. In both the holy and the discipline. You should also take in consideration what encounters you'll meet in uldar and what role you play in your guild.

Test of Faith, although looks poor on paper/talent calculator, acording to combat log veiws threw WWS i can definetly say its an amazing PvE talent (for raid healing, and especially for tank healing). When players say 'if your tank/target is lower then 50% your doing something wrong' obviously either outgears a encounter before trying it, or on the other side is a casual wow player that usualy goes heroics and maybe sometimes 10ms. With this said, the build you linked in the post is extremely powerfull for group healing i agree, therefore, 'dumping' test of faith is alright (although alot of raid damage does lower raid to less then 50% HP, which will make you notice Test of faith).

Though: if udlar will not require massive raid healing in the encounters you practise, or if you don't fill a roll of 'raid healer' but a different roll - i wouldn't recomend droping Test of faith.

I myself don't really want to stat what talent i think is not valuable - simpley cause i know talents will be worked, and i also know uldar encounters might suprise us (and i hope i'm not wrong).

Yet, must wait to see the talent changes, glyphs and what udlar would be like - in order for you to make the assumption of what talents would fit you best. I guess we will just have to wait and see. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Artex
    As long as the group shield works with Rapture (and I don't see why it shouldn't) disc priests won't need to worry much about mana as long as the shield gets used. Currently when I cast PW:S on a tank I get back about 550 mana if it's used completely (around 2700 spellpower raid buffed). I figure the shield will cost about the same mana as an untalented PoH. Something you definately can't spam, but it'll be a very useful and welcomed tool. I hope the shield glyph works on it too.

Yeah, desperate prayer was crappy when it was a human racial and Blizz didn't make it any better when they made it a talent with a mana cost. It should have been baseline to all priests along with holy nova and a decent talent put in place. If I take damage in raid I'd rather use binding heal or simply flash heal myself as both are more efficient. Not to mention if I do take damage in a raid I generally have 4-5 heals landing on me by the time I cast my own. Our healers are usually pretty competative.

My spec: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbzhZoxtcfMqihcIst.

Empowered healing is overrated. I glyph for PoH and I cast it a ton by placing myself in smart groups. When the patch hits this will obviously be even easier.

greenmasheen

Quote Originally Posted by nikkita
    Acording to what i know, and i think maybe some will be suprised: i'll advise before 'planing' on a tree or changing talents perhaps wait and see how the talents change. In both the holy and the discipline. You should also take in consideration what encounters you'll meet in uldar and what role you play in your guild.

Test of Faith, although looks poor on paper/talent calculator, acording to combat log veiws threw WWS i can definetly say its an amazing PvE talent (for raid healing, and especially for tank healing). When players say 'if your tank/target is lower then 50% your doing something wrong' obviously either outgears a encounter before trying it, or on the other side is a casual wow player that usualy goes heroics and maybe sometimes 10ms. With this said, the build you linked in the post is extremely powerfull for group healing i agree, therefore, 'dumping' test of faith is alright (although alot of raid damage does lower raid to less then 50% HP, which will make you notice Test of faith).

Though: if udlar will not require massive raid healing in the encounters you practise, or if you don't fill a roll of 'raid healer' but a different roll - i wouldn't recomend droping Test of faith.

I myself don't really want to stat what talent i think is not valuable - simpley cause i know talents will be worked, and i also know uldar encounters might suprise us (and i hope i'm not wrong).

Yet, must wait to see the talent changes, glyphs and what udlar would be like - in order for you to make the assumption of what talents would fit you best. I guess we will just have to wait and see. ;D
    i dont like the talent because the gains are very marginal and it is very situational.

6% healing sounds nice, but most of the time, players will probably be around 50 percent or above... if this tends to not be the case when Ulduar comes out, then i may reconsider. for the time being i would rather keep my current spec although i may change for imp fort.

So test of fraith is situational huh
    As is GS of course. And you could say the same about Imp holy conc. how many times do you get that when you don't need it - and when that reduced cast time is needed does it proc? hell no...

I'm so waiting though. Knowing Blizz they are planning a curve ball that will involve hoops of an entirely different nature. And if Ulduar is very hard then we will need all teh oh crap buttons we can get our hands on.

however it wouldn't be the first time blizz has done an OMG they did what raid. Who knows - we could all be stacking Druids in Ulduar or something equally as strange. Or we could be back to hitting dispell 50 times a minute.

Come on blizz - hurry up. Been waiting for this too long already :P

Cheers,
    Venara
    Inspiration over Test of Faith? You're not healing enough, or you're a reactionary healer, bad with triage. You're the tag-along heal rather than a main heal.

The build under yours, with Silent Resolve: Your tanks are fail. Stop wasting talent points.

Until you've gone deep crit to compliment your Blizzard Given Talents you should probably just go shadow. Experiment, but try to do it smartly.

Yes, I know both of you removed healing focus. I enjoy what little it provides as a boon over both your selections. Justify your builds.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Trannysteve
    Inspiration over Test of Faith? You're not healing enough, or you're a reactionary healer, bad with triage. You're the tag-along heal rather than a main heal.

The build under yours, with Silent Resolve: Your tanks are fail. Stop wasting talent points.

Until you've gone deep crit to compliment your Blizzard Given Talents you should probably just go shadow. Experiment, but try to do it smartly.

Yes, I know both of you removed healing focus. I enjoy what little it provides as a boon over both your selections. Justify your builds.
    You fail to realize that you need to spend at least 2 points to further advance into the holy tree after selecting Holy Specialization, Divine Fury and Imp. Renew. Inspiration is still a very strong buff and with a decent amount of crit (25-30% raidbuffed) you should have no problem keeping it up all the time.

Spending those 2 points in Healing Focus is a waste of talent points. Just tell one of your holy paladins to activate Concentration Aura if you need it so badly.

Test of Faith is, as i said before, very weak in it's current state since you will only benefit from it on targets at or below 50% health. In most cases someone else already topped that person above that.