Page 1 of 2
LastLast

shadow priest: Crit cap?

Hello guys! I need some informations about shadow priest's crit rating.

Shadow priest have a crit cap?

Buffs, totems and stuff like that will increase our dots dmg too?

If you have more valuable information about our crit rating... please tell me! its pretty hard to find information about this actually.

thanks

Re: shadow priest: Crit cap?

Every 1% of crit increases the damage dealt by your DoTs by 1%.

As to crit capping, there may be a crit cap for uptime of buffs like Imp Spirit Tap and Shadowy Insight (the buff given by Glyph of Shadow). However, for actual damage dealt, I've never seen any data suggesting a point at which crit is no longer beneficial.

I guess you hit crit cap when you hit 100% chance to crit. I'd imagine your dots would still be affected by % over 100 though.

Slight (but significant) correction: every 1% of crit increases....by 1% of their base damage

since shadowform itself yields +15% and shadow power +10%, that additional 1% is really 1%/125% which is closer to a .8% damage increase - of course, this is irrespective of the addition of spell power and the bonuses to spell power which likely provide about equal (if not greater) input to the damage output of the spell. If a ballpark figure was that 50% of the damage came from your sp, then the actual increase would be closer to a .4% increase in damage per 1% increase in crit for a particular dot.

So yes, it scales, but not on a 1% for 1% basis, assuming that I'm correct that the 1% is an additive increase of base damage rather than a multiplicative increase of total damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    Slight (but significant) correction: every 1% of crit increases....by 1% of their base damage
    Oh crap. Source please?
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

retard

15% crit cap i think....

There's no crit cap, and numbers like the 15% above is plain retarded.

However, in the current gear most people seem to aim for 20% crit, and then stack haste afterwards. But mostly that happend automatically when picking the best-in-slot items.

I wouldn't worry to much, if we reach 30% crit with Ulduar gear I won't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by yummykitkat
    15% crit cap i think....
    PMSL

I was on 26% on char page and yet flay and MB showed 40% ish over the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixion

Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    There's no crit cap, and numbers like the 15% above is plain retarded.

However, in the current gear most people seem to aim for 20% crit, and then stack haste afterwards. But mostly that happend automatically when picking the best-in-slot items.

I wouldn't worry to much, if we reach 30% crit with Ulduar gear I won't complain.
    Would you say that this is a good plan
    Whole
    US-Nathrezim Horde

Crit applies to almost all of a shadow's priest spells, while haste only applies to a handful. Thus given the choice between crit and haste I would choose crit.

As to the OP, the crit cap is 100%.

On direct spells direct does suffer a kind of diminishing returns to make it less effective than other forms of damage increase. 1% crit increases your average damage on direct damage spells by 1% of the non-crit value. Since you avg dps includes crits, the 1% of non-crit value is less that 1% of you avg dps, thus as you get more crit 1% crit provides a smaller % increase to your avg dps.

As far as how the dots work, I would have assumed crit would be just another multiplier but I have not tested myself and have not seen any supporting information as to how it works.

The multiplier from crit is applied normally, it doesn't just effect the base. I was mathcrafting a while ago, and my mathcraft results wouldn't match my test results if the crit multiplier was applied to the base damage.

You can also see it very easily on Loatheb.

100% is cap

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Shadow21
    100% is cap
    you're not funny. crit scales exponentially so you'll never reach 100%

Quote Originally Posted by adezero
    you're not funny. crit scales exponentially so you'll never reach 100%
    There are some many things wrong with this statement I have no idea where to begin.

doesn't it also pay to way until you get your raid procs from boomkins/DKs/etc for extra crit before applying SWain in order to get more benefit since fights will last a while?

You only have to worry about that if your getting your 5% crit buff from a elemental shaman, else all the other crit affects are auras or long term buffs.

Quote Originally Posted by yummykitkat
    15% crit cap i think....
    This is so retarded that I had to quote it for the greater laugh I'm about to commence.

I'd just like to point out that you should really be more concerned on how to play a Shadow Priest rather then what stats are best to have....I have one Valor and one heroic (2piece set) and out can out dps other Shadpriests with full valorous just because I know how to play this class better then others. But to answer another question, Yes I believe 20% crit + approx 300 haste is the way to go. If you have a Draenai in your group and a boomkin at all times...the take away some hit gems/enchants and replace with SP/haste or crit and go with a 10% hit rating.