Warlock spell-pen PvE

I was wondering what are the mechanics of spell-pen.... would it be viable to use it in PvE?? i see on patchwork dmg that he resists dmg (even with boomkin in group) and was wondering if lowering his resistance would overall boost my dmg.. say... over a 19 spl dmg gem??

(really just need to know the math behind it)

Re: Warlock spell-pen PvE

Spell penetration is just crap. It lowers the resistance of mobs but not to the point that it really helps all that much. Stacking spell power will always be better than having spell penetration. If you are actually having resistance problems then cast curse of the elements that lowers the targets resistances by 165 which is much more than you will ever need.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

a couple months into BC i looked up why i was getting some low amount resists in my spells. data might be old but from what i remember every lvl higher then you the mob gain 8 resistance. so a boss should have 24 resistance assumming your raiding and lvl 80. however from what i remember there was no way to negate this factor. assuming this still stands i wouldnt worry about it just stack spell power, but if it has changed i would liek to know myself
    maybe...just maybe blizzard will realize one day that you think naming a tree blood they would have at least one crappy bleed effect in it...

definatly not having resistance problems... http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...den&n=Cheezeit

so what is the math behind it???

my immolate has about a 3% resistance on the overall dmg... that is with boomkins fiery fire up

Spell Pen only applies to reducing a mobs actual resistance rate. The reason you are seeing resists are more likely that someone is not capped with spell hit. Usually this occurs during the first hits before the bonus 3% hit rate is added in, or someone forgot to change gear from trash set, to boss set.

Most Bosses do not have any spell resistance, making Spell pen a wasted PVE talent. However, Spell pen is a great PVP talent if you use a spell school that routinely has a common countered spell type. Fire/Frost/Shadow vs a Paladin comp team. Shadow vs Priests. Nature vs Hunters.

80 Paladin (x2), 80 Shaman (x3), 80 Rogue (x2), 80 Mage, 80 Death Knight, 80 Priest, 80 Warrior, 80 Hunter

http://wowwebstats.com/w2frwbnpc6igm...955&a=x273d787

anything i could do to drop the mitigated dmg???

Even with 0 resistance, there still is a chance for partial resists. If I'm not mistaken, this is partially due to the level difference (not talking about the old miss showing up as resist system).

And spell pen can only reduce actual resistances which are rare on raid bosses, and could be countered by curse of elements anyway,

Deleted

Spell pen is a PVP stat, designed to stop people running around in magic resistance sets. PVE = Get hit rateing

One day a month or so ago I had a brain fart and posted the exact same question on the boards. The answer is this: the mob has 8 resistance per level that it is higher than you, and this resistance can NOT be overcome or reduced. everyone has 2-3% of thier spell damage mitigated. It stinks and given the fact Blizz removed the 1% chance to miss, Im surprised this still exists. so in short, dont stack penetration, and ignore the mitigation column on WWS.

all this question is really pertaining to... lol.... is the gem in my neck peice..... +9spldmg + 10 spl pen.... ORRRR 9spl + 8spirit(2spldmg) :S

the answer is. If you have Spell pen on any gear, in any slot and you are PVE. You will be laughed at.
    80 Paladin (x2), 80 Shaman (x3), 80 Rogue (x2), 80 Mage, 80 Death Knight, 80 Priest, 80 Warrior, 80 Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Nirual
    Even with 0 resistance, there still is a chance for partial resists. If I'm not mistaken, this is partially due to the level difference (not talking about the old miss showing up as resist system).

And spell pen can only reduce actual resistances which are rare on raid bosses, and could be countered by curse of elements anyway,
    This, mostly. There are innate resistances to bosses that you can't overcome. You will almost always have some partial resists, unless the RNG gods like you that night. There's not been a lot of study on this subject.

The only time spell pen helps in pve is if a boss has increased spell resistance to particular elements, either through a buff or naturally high resistance to a particular element. This isnt the case in the majority of fights, and I dont know if there is any in LK at all (Sapp may have enhanced frost resist idk). So overall pretty much a useless stat, even on fights where it may come into play, its still performs subpar.