Thread: Disc PvP

Disc PvP

I've decided to give Disc a proper go for PvP... i'm not a massive PvP player but thought i'd try something new.

I'm normally shadow so I have a fair amount of learning to do. I've been mucking around with specs and so far i've come up with:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...h=121502060503

Now I guess i'll explain my reasoning a little, so if you disagree please explain whats wrong with my reasoning.

1. Unbreakable Will - I didn't take this because even if i'm stunned/silenced/feared for 10 sec I don't see how comming out 1.5 sec earlier means anything. I'm going to have renews & PW:S going into CC if im playing correctly and I can always trinket and fear ward some of the CC anyways.

2. Imp Fort - While i'd like to have imp fort it's a buff that can be dispelled and as a general rule I try not to spend points into something that can simply be ripped off me.

3. Inner Focus - I find I barely use this effectively and thus for personal play style reasons choose not to bother with it.

4. Enlightenment - I see a lot of builds skip this but 5% more stam can't be bad and I think haste is a fantastic pvp stat, it helps you to avoid being interrupted.

5. Reflective Shield - I'm very aggressive, even as disc... probably because my main spec is shadow and as such I want to deal as much damage as I can. In addition with all the talents spent on improving PW:S I figure you have to take it.

6. Renewed Hope, Divine Aegis, Holy Specilisation - Orginally I had all of these in my spec but after playing a bit and checking out my stats and possible future gear my crit rate was horrible. It was about 12% and I didn't see how I was going to increase that crit rate to anything reasonabe unless I started to choose dps gear, perhaps that's what you need to do but i'm a bit worried about my piddly 16K mana pool atm. In any case with my crit rate so low I can't justify spending 10 points in something that has such a slim effect.

7. Rapture - I'd like to have it but something has to give somewhere and at this stage i'm not really being killed coz i'm oom... unless i'm in a BG and i've been using my mana for a long long time.

8. Divine Fury - I never cast Gheal, and while i'd like to have a shorter smite I tend to dot and MB and even use Penance to dps with.

9. Blessed Recovery - I could be swayed to drop this talent but I find anything that keeps me alive during a stun is probably a good thing to have. At the moment I stay alive until i'm stunned/silenced so I figure while my resilience is low that this is probably an effective way to help mitigate some squishiness.

I think everything else is self explanatory, I don't expect anyone to comment that I should or shouldn't be taking any other talents.

Re: Disc PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    I've decided to give Disc a proper go for PvP... i'm not a massive PvP player but thought i'd try something new.

I'm normally shadow so I have a fair amount of learning to do. I've been mucking around with specs and so far i've come up with:

Now I guess i'll explain my reasoning a little, so if you disagree please explain whats wrong with my reasoning.

1. Unbreakable Will - I didn't take this because even if i'm stunned/silenced/feared for 10 sec I don't see how comming out 1.5 sec earlier means anything. I'm going to have renews & PW:S going into CC if im playing correctly and I can always trinket and fear ward some of the CC anyways.

1.5 Seconds is enough to not die, your reasoning is stupid.

2. Imp Fort - While i'd like to have imp fort it's a buff that can be dispelled and as a general rule I try not to spend points into something that can simply be ripped off me.

This is correct.

3. Inner Focus - I find I barely use this effectively and thus for personal play style reasons choose not to bother with it.

Inner Focus has many uses, low on mana, guarenteed crit, also takes you out of the FSR, not taking this is silly, its only one point.

4. Enlightenment - I see a lot of builds skip this but 5% more stam can't be bad and I think haste is a fantastic pvp stat, it helps you to avoid being interrupted.

Its good, but not amazing, 0.08 seconds off of a flash heal won't do much, still worth taking anyways.

5. Reflective Shield - I'm very aggressive, even as disc... probably because my main spec is shadow and as such I want to deal as much damage as I can. In addition with all the talents spent on improving PW:S I figure you have to take it.

Wrong, Reflective Shields damage is low, it only works on yourself, and is annoying in the way it gives warriors rage and breaks CC, don't take this.

6. Renewed Hope, Divine Aegis, Holy Specilisation - Orginally I had all of these in my spec but after playing a bit and checking out my stats and possible future gear my crit rate was horrible. It was about 12% and I didn't see how I was going to increase that crit rate to anything reasonabe unless I started to choose dps gear, perhaps that's what you need to do but i'm a bit worried about my piddly 16K mana pool atm. In any case with my crit rate so low I can't justify spending 10 points in something that has such a slim effect.

This is correct, all of those are useless.

7. Rapture - I'd like to have it but something has to give somewhere and at this stage i'm not really being killed coz i'm oom... unless i'm in a BG and i've been using my mana for a long long time.

Your gear is bad, or you don't know how to play, I raerly die before I run out of mana in 2's, generally having 10-15 minute games, I even picked up items like Sapphire Owl Figurine to increase how long I can keep my mana up, not taking this would be silly, the only annoying thing is if you put a bubble on someone and drink, them taking damage (and giving you mana back with rapture) can break drinking, but its fine if you just spam your drink.

8. Divine Fury - I never cast Gheal, and while i'd like to have a shorter smite I tend to dot and MB and even use Penance to dps with.

I would never go into arena with out this, Dots break CC and shouldn't be used unless you know you're staying on the target, mindblast is worse than holy fire / smite, and penance does horrible DPS and using it for DPS puts it on CD for healing, and generally is a bad idea.

also, I use gheal A LOT in arena.

9. Blessed Recovery - I could be swayed to drop this talent but I find anything that keeps me alive during a stun is probably a good thing to have. At the moment I stay alive until i'm stunned/silenced so I figure while my resilience is low that this is probably an effective way to help mitigate some squishiness.

This talent is very good for multiple reasons, it now stacks like Deep Wounds, and you can see tick upwards of 2k if you get crit enough, its generally around 1.2% damage mitigation, which sounds small, its not bad at all, if you're being crit enough, it could go up to a lot higher mitigation, I doubt ever over 10% though, its also good for dispel fodder, I wouldn't skip it ever.

I think everything else is self explanatory, I don't expect anyone to comment that I should or shouldn't be taking any other talents.

This is a lot stronger spec imo.

Firstly can i say... Inner focus does not automatically get you outside the FSR... unless there is some 5 second healing spell I don't have bound to my bars. It assists you in getting outside the FSR but by no means does pressing that button guarantee it. In addition I'm not going oom (at this stage anyways) so I don't see how having this is going to change anything.

Secondly I'm partnering with people that have little CC, in any case I know how to not DoT something that we want to CC. At teh start of the game when CC is used i'm too busy to be dotting but as the game progresses and i'm less pressured I certainly dot the kill target and throw a MB. Penance isn't as stupid a dps spell as you think, it has incredibly high DPM and 1800 damage isn't that far off smite damage for me and it's a quicker cast time making it very similar DPS. Sure it puts it on CD but when you partner with a Ret Pally & DK they have tons of mitigation, its not really an issue and that penance can assist in killing a target.

Will Unbreakable will stack with the 10% less stun resist meta? I still don't agree that if I am stunned or feared for 10sec that 1 sec makes a difference... whether its 10 sec CC or 8.5sec CC that is plenty of time for us to lose the game, I would think the idea is to avoid being cc'd for that long to begin with. I guess will 15% less stun time be a better way to live than having another 5% renew, PoM, PW:S... i'm just about convinced i'd rather the extra healing becuase those 3 things are always on me b4 i'm stunned.

I'm confused how i'm bad because I don't go oom... i've seen a lot of builds not take rapture, you're one of the few who do. I don't think it's a bad talent but if i'm not going oom how does rapture assist me? The only time I go oom is 10 to 15mins in the middle of WSG or something stupid like that and tbh there is plenty of time to drink or grab a rejuv powerup.

I never use Gheal and when i'm pve disc... why use it in pvp? It's far more susceptible to interrupts and it's a far riskier heal to use during burst damage. Are other disc priests using Gheal a lot? I also find that i'm on the run a hell of a lot, finding 2.2 seconds to stand still is difficult enough, in any case I find that PW:S, Renew, PoM and the occasional penance is more than enough to heal my teammates and flash heal is usually used on myself more than anyone. I do use binding heal quite a bit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka

Terrible. You do know what diminishing returns are, right?

Nobody takes imp fort, its not strong. You still fort, it still blocks other buffs.

Bad.

It's bad for 5 points.

Have fun triggering impact from a mage.

its because you didn't take as much crit stuff and you're speccing a talent build that is based on critting.

Crit -> Aegis -> Rapture -> Mana

correct. if you have penance, gheal = silly.

its a nice crap buff filler for purge/dispel. And it is sizable if you take crits.