Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Disco priest - Warrior tank asking questions

So I understand that Discipline priests should be recieving some buffs in 3.1.

One thing that really caught my attention was that they're planning it so that Warrior's can still gain rage from damage through a damage shield such as Power Word: Shield.

So now I'm looking at talents in the Discipline tree and trying to figure out how they'd benefit me, the Warrior tank w/ this new change to damage shields.

-So absorbing damage through shields while still getting rage = good.
    -Causing damage via Reflective Shield would be uber if they changed it so it gave the tank threat. Don't really see a point to the talent otherwise besides a tiny amount of damage.
    -Grace buff of less damage + more healing = great. Does this stack with other similar effects?

So if we already have one or two Holy priests in raid, why wouldn't we want a Discipline Priest in our raids too? Especially after 3.1?

Enlighten me my priesty friends.

Re: Disco priest - Warrior tank asking questions

-Causing damage via Reflective Shield would be uber if they changed it so it gave the tank threat. Don't really see a point to the talent otherwise besides a tiny amount of damage.
    It's a pvp talent really. The damage is useful there.
    -Grace buff of less damage + more healing = great. Does this stack with other similar effects?
    Yeah, it's been reported to stack with BoSanc and other things that increase the healing from the priest (eg treeform aura).

So bottom line if we had more then one priest in raid, would we want of them to be Discipline?

Yes/no and why please.

Disc is hawt. MT healing quality coming close to pally level with awesome damage mitigation. You can easily get by without one, but it's cool to have one (and extremely useful for Sarth 3D attempts).

Quote Originally Posted by heerobya
    So I understand that Discipline priests should be recieving some buffs in 3.1.

One thing that really caught my attention was that they're planning it so that Warrior's can still gain rage from damage through a damage shield such as Power Word: Shield.

So now I'm looking at talents in the Discipline tree and trying to figure out how they'd benefit me, the Warrior tank w/ this new change to damage shields.

-So absorbing damage through shields while still getting rage = good.

So if we already have one or two Holy priests in raid, why wouldn't we want a Discipline Priest in our raids too? Especially after 3.1?

Enlighten me my priesty friends.

Even if reflective shield DID give threat, it wouldn't do anything, because reflective shield only works on the priest who cast the bubble, if I cast a bubble on the tank, it won't reflect, Its been bugged like that for a long time, they just recently decided whatever, we'll keep it that way.

So how much damage does the PW:Shield of a deep Disc specced Priest absorb?

Also, may be a noob question...

but is the Damage shield the "first" thing to be calculated or the last?

Like, if 5k damage in incoming, does the game check my parry/dodge/miss/block first, then if it still goes through it'll hit the damage shield?

Or does it hit the damage shield first?

As disc my shield absorbs roughly 7k. The dmg is mitigated through the normal avoidance first, meaning that it can be dodge/parried/ or missed without hurtin the shield. Not 100% on blocks tbh.

Get an unholy dk tank and a disc priest and watch him never die.
    bone shield + pws =win

7K? Not bad.

Even if it's calculated after block (doubt it is) it's still a pretty much free avoided attack from most bosses every 15 seconds.

Does the +4% healing from "the priest" or whatever it is only count from the Disc priest who gave me the buff, or any priest in raid who would be healing me?

only "problem" with discipline is we are not lovely on recount with HPS and toping the charts. You need to use us correctly in raids and forget about watching the numbers, look at our activity level if you want to figure out if were doing our job, and make sure were using all our spells and tools and not just using a couple or one. That being said fights with heavy healing like patchwerk, Kt, etc. etc. is where we are useful. with enough MP5 gear and intel gear we usually last mana wise without needing help with inervate.

and when we're geared well we can heal any of the heroics, so don't go asking if were holy spec...srsly...lol

We primarily use a Druid tank and two Warrior tanks, so the ability to build rage through the shield is essential before we'd give it a try...

but I am very curious.

As a tank, I don't like seeing my health dip down then have to be brought back up. What if my healers are lagging? What if they aren't pre-casting? etc. etc.

Absorbing/avoiding damage is the name of the game for me.

Anything that will prevent damage IMO is better then healing the damage after it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by skitszo
    only "problem" with discipline is we are not lovely on recount with HPS and toping the charts. You need to use us correctly in raids and forget about watching the numbers, look at our activity level if you want to figure out if were doing our job, and make sure were using all our spells and tools and not just using a couple or one. That being said fights with heavy healing like patchwerk, Kt, etc. etc. is where we are useful. with enough MP5 gear and intel gear we usually last mana wise without needing help with inervate.

and when we're geared well we can heal any of the heroics, so don't go asking if were holy spec...srsly...lol
    I don't care about chart-topping, I care about results.

Every single disc priest we've had with us in 10s/25s (all 3 of them, to be fair), have consistantly healed less on an assigned character (usually tank, b/c I'm watching such things) than an off/raid healer does.

It's possible the Disc-o's we've brought just sucked, too. Hmmmm.

Anything that will prevent damage IMO is better then healing the damage after it's done.
    For most encounters I'm not big on the Beefshield/Tier 1 theory of tanking. I prefer other forms of mitigation/avoidance.

Quote Originally Posted by Trannysteve
    For most encounters I'm not big on the Beefshield/Tier 1 theory of tanking. I prefer other forms of mitigation/avoidance.
    Focusing only on large health pools and "Beefshield" theory of tanking is more TBC then anything, the whole Effective Health > All stuff.

Currently Sarth 3D is the only fight that still holds true. Even then, wouldn't preventing a chunk of damage vs. just healing it up quick be better?

So bottom line if we had more then one priest in raid, would we want of them to be Discipline?

Yes/no and why please.
    You are fine with 1 disc priest, unless the encounter requires 2 tanks who need heavy healing. The effect of Grace won't stack, you won't mitigate more than 3% if you use more than 1 disc. The only thing you can benefit from multiple discs is Divine Aegis proc.

but is the Damage shield the "first" thing to be calculated or the last?

Like, if 5k damage in incoming, does the game check my parry/dodge/miss/block first, then if it still goes through it'll hit the damage shield?

Or does it hit the damage shield first?
    When I played priest, I noticed that the shield was calculated after all other mitigation. So it would calc miss > dodge > parry > > block and include mitigation from armor. So if your shield stops 6k damage, for example, and a 4k hit gets blocked and hits for 2.5k, your shield would still stop another 3.5k before cancelling.

As far as buffs stacking, the damage mitigation does not stack with Blessing of Sanctuary.
    The healing stacks with all other healing buffs since it only affects the priest that owns the buff.

Every single disc priest we've had with us in 10s/25s (all 3 of them, to be fair), have consistantly healed less on an assigned character (usually tank, b/c I'm watching such things) than an off/raid healer does.

you seriously did
    when im healing the tanks im always 1 place on whom healed them
    even when a pally is my assigned partner.. he has no chance (if he would spam fol maybe but they are all hl so before their spell hits they are already full.. most of the times at least :>)
    and for multiply tanks im at least 3rd in healing for the other tanks as well
    PoM / Penance.. best heal spells :>

and btw the healing bonus from grace is stackable but only for the disc herself
    but since if u have the disc u wont have many others healing that target.. so it doesnt matter that it only works for the disc :>

a holy priest is mainly a healer - a disc priest is mainly a damage mitigator, ie, they use shields and stuff to stop as much damage coming in as possible and then use smaller heals to pick up the slack, this is why a disc priest is generally low on the meters on any target if anyone else is healing it too. if a disc priest is topping meters like that either the other healers suck or they're playing it like a holy priest.

Take a good disc priest, look at their heal meter standing, and double it. The amount of dmg that is mitigated through shields is HUGE. Also please dont forget that with a talented power infusion the cooldown is only 1.6minutes. Giving a PI 2-3 times a fight to a dps is a large increase.
    Raid utility anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Folly
    As far as buffs stacking, the damage mitigation does not stack with Blessing of Sanctuary.
    The healing stacks with all other healing buffs since it only affects the priest that owns the buff.
    Run this test, and then come back and say otherwise.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~