Thread: new shadowform.

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

new shadowform.

new shadowform is it a buff or a nerf? what you guys think

Shadowform: Bonus damage from critical strike chance removed and replaced by the ability of those periodic damage spells to generate critical strikes.

since we lost our crit % to increase dot dmg for dots critting. do we still need to stack high crit and if so will it benefit from scortch buff to balance out?

discuss.

might even change our gear line up

15+ Year Old Account

Re: new shadowform.

Crit will be our new go to stat. With everything we have able to crit we will want to run at least 30% unbuffed. It is going to be awesome.

i'm sorry,i feel like such an idiot here. i dont understand what it's saying, to be honest.

i understand that dot damage will no longer be increased by the same amount of crit chance...

but what's it saying is being done to replace it? i dont understand, unless it's saying our dots can crit...

i see so 5% moonkin / 10% scortch / 3% focus magic in raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Raige
    i'm sorry,i feel like such an idiot here. i dont understand what it's saying, to be honest.

i understand that dot damage will no longer be increased by the same amount of crit chance...

but what's it saying is being done to replace it? i dont understand, unless it's saying our dots can crit...
    Have you even read it? Yes, they can crit now.

Sounds OP to me (especially PvP wise), btw if they do that with spriests, soon every class with dots wants to have their dots critting. Because THAT hasn't been done before.
    Major QQ inc.

already done warlock dots can crit now and i think dk disease's can crit too. and bleeds aswell

well feral druids and warlocks have critting dots in 3.1 too if i read it correctly. how many other classes rely on dots as much?

Quote Originally Posted by nikari
    already done warlock dots can crit now and i think dk disease's can crit too. and bleeds aswell
    If we spec for it

shadowpriests have to spec for critting dots too...

so do feral druids.

Quote Originally Posted by Raige
    well feral druids and warlocks have critting dots in 3.1 too if i read it correctly. how many other classes rely on dots as much?
    Rogue's poisons? (which already do a high amount of damage): Not mentioned in patch notes until now.

Warrior's Deep Wounds? (they already fixed DW because it was doing "too much damage", why would they let it crit now? But again, if they don't let it crit like the other dots, that'd be a nerf.): Not mentioned in patch notes either but there's anyway nearly nothing mentioned regarding warriors.

I really don't understand. Until now Blizz refused to let dots crit because of balance issues and now all of a sudden they can crit.

Edit: Just crossed my mind that DW critting could be built into deep Arms, as Arms is going to get buffed...

The notes dont say anythign about DK dots critting.

I don't think we'll be seeing 30% crit for us. I know mages have big crit chance, but they dont' have as many spells hitting constantly. we have sometimes a screen covered in DP hits after a DK has spread them. if all those are critting our dps will go through the roof.

our dps was already quite high after they fixed flay.

I dont' want to be smashing everyone else on the meter today and next patch be back at the bottom from an over nerf

I sit at 20% not including the 4% talent. But for some odd reason i decided to stack crit instead of haste.

same here. I'm on 18.58% completed unbuffed. still got a few items to swap around which will take me closer to 21%.

I've felt I have a touch too much haste lately seeing MB 0.1 secs off CD when flay finishes so no problems swapping out a couple of items.

badges haste/hit belt for heroic AN one gives me a nice crit boost to 19.8% I think.

just need to cover my hit loss. fingers crossed for maly chest!

This change sounds awesome to me.
    Crit was already a very nice stat for SP, thanks to the old SF change, now will dots crit for +50% or +100% dmg ? Right now it's 50% only.

Atm its a nerf if i am not mistaken...

Asume 33%Crit and a Dot tick for 1000dmg

After 3 Ticks:

old SF = 1000*1.33*3=3990dmg
    new SF= 1000+1000+1530(<-Crit with meta) = 3545dmg

But if they change Shadowpower it would be a buff because of the Meta Gem...

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account

-15% all damage taken ftw

Quote Originally Posted by Lostprophet
    Atm its a nerf if i am not mistaken...

Asume 33%Crit and a Dot tick for 1000dmg

After 3 Ticks:

old SF = 1000*1.33*3=3990dmg
    new SF= 1000+1000+1530(<-Crit with meta) = 3545dmg

But if they change Shadowpower it would be a buff because of the Meta Gem...
    A huge nerf

15+ Year Old Account

Really hope they change shadow power to include dots as well, otherwise the classes who allready smite us on the dps meters will do so even more.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

I dislike having to categorise every change as a buff or nerf... sometimes it's just a difference or a standardisation (which this actually is).

But technically speaking its a minor nerf, if for example you have a 30% crit rate, a 30% damage modifier is more dps than something dealing double damage 30% of the time. This is due to the multiplicative effect with other damage modifiers.

In addition having something deal double damage is subject to RNG and as such it's not going to behave in an exact manor all the time. Sure it may balance out in your favour at times but i'd prefer less rng in my dps where possible.

I still have a feeling haste is going to benefit better from the higher lvl gear but I could be wrong. Crit and haste are ranked the same at the moment (in current possible gear) per sim craft, so I don't see how crit or haste is our new go to stat. As it stands SP is by far the best stat point for point and I don't see how this is goign to change.