Thread: Critting Dots

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Critting Dots

I must say the critting dots thing is VERY entertaining. Esp when i see Vampiric Touch crit for 4.6k

Re: Critting Dots

It could represent a problem... in BGs... when you're killing people in greens... with your valorous set.

Afaik, is a PvE nerf and a double dip nerf into PvP too - Dots effect reduced by resilience plus crit effect also reduced, yuck.

Since we get, oh so imba, 9% crit in pvp gear and resilience reduces that to -10%.. yeah, I see dots critting in arenas. Not.
    It's a clear pve nerf, unless dots crit for 100%.

Using this simple math - say all 3 dots tick for 1000 and crit rating is 20%. Over the course of 30 seconds, each dot will tick 10 times.

Old way:

30 000 damage, with 20% modified it amounts to 30 000 + 0.2*30 000 = 36 000

New way:

30 000 damage, with 20% crit rating it means that 6 ticks will crit. They will do 1500 damage, meaning 500 * 6 = 3000 additional on top of 30 000 of initial amounting to 33 000.

I know the math behind it is simple but it's clear as day it's a slight nerf. I don't know what called for that, shadow priest was at the bottom of the chart in a raid with people in the equal gear and equal knowledge of their class.

It will definately suck in pvp. No doubt to that. Just cool seeing it. I dont have a working recount on beta so cant give an exact dps number.

Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    I don't know what called for that, shadow priest was at the bottom of the chart in a raid with people in the equal gear and equal knowledge of their class.
    ?? Whats the weather like on your planet?

On my planet Shadow priests are capable of doing 4k+ dps in naxx 10 ilvl 200 gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauly

On my planet Shadow priests are capable of doing 4k+ dps in naxx 10 ilvl 200 gear.
    You wouldn't believe, but there are mages, death knights and hunters in my guild that actually know how to play and are doing 5.5 - 6k dps, not just on Patchwerk. So ?? all you like, but on my planet 6k > 4k.

You wouldn't believe, but there are mages, death knights and hunters in my guild that actually know how to play and are doing 5.5 - 6k dps, not just on Patchwerk. So ?? all you like, but on my planet 6k > 4k.
    so what's their gear?

15+ Year Old Account

Hunters SHOULD do more DPS than we do with all things being equal - they're a "full" dps class after all while we are hybrid. And Death Knights, they are in for a DPS nerf anyway, just as Fury Warriors.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Having spent a few hours on the PTR doing tests on Target Dummies, the DoT's critting definately does not seem like a nerf unless some other item i've missed has had a considerable buff. Self buffed on live Target Dummies I do around 2500 dps, on the PTR even with PTR lag i'm seeing numbers of up to 3400dps on target dummies.

Looking forward to testing this out on in a 25 man situation with full raid buffs, Heroism and a Boomkin <3

Quote Originally Posted by Cain
    so what's their gear?
    Had you read my 2 posts, you'd notice I said "equal gear and equal knowledge of the class". Their gear, along with my gear is the best what you can get in the current content and I mean every piece of equipment is best in slot.

Quote Originally Posted by shadet
    Having spent a few hours on the PTR doing tests on Target Dummies, the DoT's critting definately does not seem like a nerf unless some other item i've missed has had a considerable buff. Self buffed on live Target Dummies I do around 2500 dps, on the PTR even with PTR lag i'm seeing numbers of up to 3400dps on target dummies.

Looking forward to testing this out on in a 25 man situation with full raid buffs, Heroism and a Boomkin <3
    thats because dots due to some bug still get the %crit dmg added from the old shadowform

if blizzard does not do anything about this locks are going to OWN in PvP

why?

theres a blizzard poster that said that only 1 of the effects of resiliance will afffect a DOt

Iea if a Dot can crit then the its going to suffer from reduced crit chance and reduced crit Dmg but NOT reduced dot dmg

see where im going? any smartass warlock will jsut put one point in the talent and make dots "crit" but tottaly bypass the reduced dot dmg, so in essence in a PvP situation he will get over a 10% increase in dot dmg in PvP

i hope they change mind melt to be 4% crit for all spells. or maybe they made a 5% crit talent point(s) like all other classes.

Quote Originally Posted by shokchief

Iea if a Dot can crit then the its going to suffer from reduced crit chance and reduced crit Dmg but NOT reduced dot dmg
    it depends if not crit ticks gets dmg reduction from dots

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    Hunters SHOULD do more DPS than we do with all things being equal - they're a "full" dps class after all while we are hybrid. And Death Knights, they are in for a DPS nerf anyway, just as Fury Warriors.
    sorry huntard, get back to your cave.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauly
    Sunny, with no clouds. I think.

Because he was right, currently we're below hunters, mages, warlocks, and often warriors.
    Priest (pre 3.1) scale the worst with gear, and is somewhat dps capped around 5.5k, where warlocks goes up to 7k.

15+ Year Old Account

idk about your guild's gear level but I go neck & neck with the rest of our casters except ele shaman who got buffed up the ass with the last patch. Group 3 (the group I'm in since its our core caster group) always switches spots on dmg meters all the time but we're always right next to each other on dps & dmg. Our hunters & DKs tend to beat us out but sometimes we beat them.

But on another note, you guys are actually seeing VT & DP crit on the ptr? I've yet to see one single crit from either of them but have seen SW:P crit now.

We may, or may not get 200% dmg dot tick crits if necessary to improve DPS.

And old form only boosted one DoT I thought,

Since we get, oh so imba, 9% crit in pvp gear and resilience reduces that to -10%.. yeah, I see dots critting in arenas. Not.

Using this simple math - say all 3 dots tick for 1000 and crit rating is 20%. Over the course of 30 seconds, each dot will tick 10 times.

Old way:

New way:

30 000 damage, with 20% crit rating it means that 6 ticks will crit. They will do 1500 damage, meaning 500 * 6 = 3000 additional on top of 30 000 of initial amounting to 33 000.
    Otherwise this fella is right ^_^

Lets face it, single-target SP damage sucks big time... if it wasnt for mind sear spam on trash, priests would be last in DPS among equally skilled and geared players

My guess is they will change Shadow Power to: Increases critical strike damage bonus of your Mind blast, Mind Flay, Shadow Word: Death, Shadow Word: Pain, Vampiric Touch and Devouring plague by 20/40/60/80/100%

I like the new Vampiric Embrace

Feel free to PM me about any question you might have regarding LoL.
    Holy paladin

Deleted

Single target dps could use a ~10% buff. Currently it's hard to get above 5200-5300 dps even best available gear. +10% would bring that somewhere around 5700-5800dps, still not quite at the top, but up there with other hybrids.

Quote Originally Posted by Xip
    4,6k ???? with what spell power ?
    With my Dying Curse proc'd, i got a 4.8k VT crit. SW:P doesn't seem to crit very big though and I think DP is bugged atm, it's damage is very inconsistent, there's no initial damage and it doesn't appear to be able to crit.

Old way:

New way:

I know the math behind it is simple but it's clear as day it's a slight nerf. I don't know what called for that, shadow priest was at the bottom of the chart in a raid with people in the equal gear and equal knowledge of their class.
    dots crit chance is not affected by resilience, my warlock friend who has the talent that lets UA and corruption crit has crit me with his dots even through my 11% crit reduction when he has less than 11% crit.. sometimes even 2 crit ticks in a row.