Teh boomkin soapbox

I apologize in adv for the QQing about to happen--look away--it might hurt.

Hi, I'm a boomkin. I have a single spot in a raid because of my 'utility'. In pvp I've recently had a reduction in armor with the changes done to help feral tanking. we also had the stun effect of starfall taken out 'to reduce RNG' while we still have a good 800-900 dps dependent on RNG of eclipse--which happens waiting on the RNG of a crit.
    I don't want to be OP--our dps is good 'if we get lucky' with RNG.
    Would it really be so terrible to make eclipse an activated spell? waiting on a proc that might come after a crit --and THEN my dmg might be slightly under similarly geared dps...just seems a little cruel. When i saw the projected changes I just kinda hoped SOMETHING would be in it for boomkin too. And no, the cooldown on a spell i can't use effectively as changed by a glyph isnt fixing the already underwhelming nature of a 51pt talent that seems optional. (especially considering how good the other 2 trees 51pt talents are). Boomkins haven't seen anything good since 3.0--even 70-80 was simply an upgrade of a spell you get either in talent points or the all important spell gained at lv 20.
    Just because blizz fixed the panzerkin 'melee' of previous states of boomkin--doesn't mean that now we're more than an aura and utility spells >.< I thought maybe we were past this ;-/
    /hops off soapbox

Re: Teh boomkin soapbox

agreed boomkin needs some serious pvp love

60% chance on wrath crit to make the next 8 (number negotiable) starfires auto crit. Effect lasts for 30 seconds (also the eclipse internal cooldown).

All this does is make it go from 12 seconds of 75-80% crit chance to starfire, to 8 starfires with 100% crit chance. It would not be much of a step up in terms of DPS from a lucky Eclipse proc now, but just takes away the double-luck aspect of the talent, a chance on a chance, as it is now.

It also fixes the fact that currently Eclipse is completely useless in a fight where you might have to move at all during the eclipse proc. This way, you could run ouf of a firewave, and then use up your Eclipse charges.

Easy fix that does not gives any huge DPS increase.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Draenor&n=Kulltiras

all bonuses considered... 31% crit with t7 bonus and maybe alittle more from 3% with IFF-- the 30% from the eclipse--i don't see the 75% part(not that math is my thing). But I agree--i don't think it would be incredibly ground shaking to our dps--just a little boost in the right direction.

Deleted

Not a druid but till what i have seen... yeah boomkins need a buff up

Quote Originally Posted by LacrimoNanaki
    all bonuses considered... 31% crit with t7 bonus and maybe alittle more from 3% with IFF-- the 30% from the eclipse--i don't see the 75% part(not that math is my thing). But I agree--i don't think it would be incredibly ground shaking to our dps--just a little boost in the right direction.
    take my character for example. I dont have very high crit, i make up for it in spellpower and haste. But anyway:

15.5% on toon + 5% from moonkin aura + 4% to wrath/starfire from talents + 5% from 4piece bonus + 3% from ele shaman totem (this is different then elemental oath) + 10% from imp scorch debuff +3% from Imp IS talent (since you should always have MF up while starfire spamming) +30% from eclipse + several more % from Intellect provided by MotW, BoK, ArcaneInt = 15.5+5+4+5+3+10+3+30+2%= 77.5%. I normally see 75-80% starfire crit on something like Patchwerk. And i dont even have Imp FF talent. thats another 3%. So the crit % during Eclipse is very high, but you will still see non-crits.

All the change that i suggested does is take away some of the RNG, luck basically, and help to standardize our DPS. I would not expect much more then a few hundred DPS AT MOST increase from this change. But we would also not see the bad luck kills where we have a magical train of non-critting starfires during eclipse.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Draenor&n=Kulltiras

One thing they really need to change is to make Eclipse a 100% proc on Wrath crit, since at the moment Eclipse dps is triple-dependant on RNG.

~40% (raidbuffed, against a scorched mob) chance to crit.
    60% chance to proc Eclipse.
    40+30% cance to crit with Starfire during eclipse.

Which gives a total of 24% chance to proc eclipse per wrath cast, and then you only have a 28% chance of Eclipse being a dps increase anyway (You have a 40% risk that each starfire cast during eclipse would have been a crit anyway).

Removing one of the RNG factors would go a long way towards making the balance dps cycle feel more reliable. Currently we can only compete with the top dps classes in the cases when we get perfect eclipse procs.
    Originally Posted by Eyonix
    We see comments on the difficulty of a raid dungeon every time we've released one since after Blackwing Lair. The complaints never come from the players who actually did any of the content interestingly enough.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by LacrimoNanaki
    Hi, I'm a boomkin. I have a single spot in a raid because of my 'utility'.
    Then you are doing something wrong. Many moonkins get their raid spot through dps (helping others is a nice bonus but only that).
    Quote Originally Posted by tarrek
    Currently we can only compete with the top dps classes in the cases when we get perfect eclipse procs.
    We aren't supposed to compete with the "pure dps" classes, ie warlocks, mages, hunters and rogues. The fact that some of them are too low while other hybrids are too high at the moment doesn't change that.

Honestly, i feel that moonkin aren't in a bad shape at all at least when talking PvE. RNG dependancy exists but it's already over several casts (8-9 SF's every Eclipse) and the big impact comes from the fact that current encounters are all very short. Longer encounters will average things more.

My only complaint would be lack of a controlled burst, but moonkin really isn't in a bad spot for the moment.

My dps is fairly competitive--but my gear lacks only 3-4 upgrades max. I'll admit that I love my little comfort blanket as THE boomkin(a raid with too much of the amazing dance would just seem greedy :P).

We're not bad--but we're also not in a good place either. Controlling dps with so many dependency on burst is pretty annoying. Changing up eclipse slightly would lessen that burden that seems unnecessary and well clunky.