Page 1 of 3
LastLast

3.1 Shadow PvE build

Was curious to see if this would be a new possibility and perhaps a better? Maybe build for shadow in the patch.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...6&version=9626

If you can get the 3% hit missing from the talent would it be worthwhile to have your instant spells be 10% less mana?

Or will something along the lines of the cookie cutter 14-0-57/13-0-58 spec still reign supreme?

Re: 3.1 Shadow PvE build

We have only SWP and DP that are instant casts (we don't use SWD in our rotation yet), and we cast SWP once per boss fight - so basically you'd spend 5 talent points to lower DP's cost.
    Also, in-combat mana regen has been buffed significantly and shadow priest cannot go oom anyway. I was able to pound on heroic dummy for 20 minutes before I gave up (17.5k mana pool unbuffed).

So no, that spec wouldn't pay off, it'd gimp your mana regen since all other spells would be costing more mana except DP.

Alrighty was just wondering, haven't had a chance to get my priest to 80 yet (still sitting at 74)

Thanks for the insight!

Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    We have only SWP and DP that are instant casts (we don't use SWD in our rotation yet), and we cast SWP once per boss fight - so basically you'd spend 5 talent points to lower DP's cost.
    Also, in-combat mana regen has been buffed significantly and shadow priest cannot go oom anyway. I was able to pound on heroic dummy for 20 minutes before I gave up (17.5k mana pool unbuffed).

So no, that spec wouldn't pay off, it'd gimp your mana regen since all other spells would be costing more mana except DP.

Because you spend it's mana "instantly", even though it's channelled, Mind Flay does count for Twin Disciplines, Mental Agility, hell even a Borrowed Time 2-for-1 charge if you were to dish out a craptacular spec like that.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    (we don't use SWD in our rotation yet)
    Are you mad? Honestly, if you don't use SW you are losing a significant part of your dps (close to 150-200dps, in full naxx gear). Previously you had a risk of killing yourself (if you had shitty healers), now with how awesome VE is there is no chance of taking too much raid damage (hell you don't even have to move out of aoe now because VE is so strong).

This is my spec, and it works perfectly for me
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ris&n=Quenthal

sw:d gets used only as a filer.....

Quote Originally Posted by Quenthal
    Are you mad? Honestly, if you don't use SW you are losing a significant part of your dps (close to 150-200dps, in full naxx gear). Previously you had a risk of killing yourself (if you had shitty healers), now with how awesome VE is there is no chance of taking too much raid damage (hell you don't even have to move out of aoe now because VE is so strong).

This is my spec, and it works perfectly for me
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ris&n=Quenthal
    No, I am not mad. And no, you actually lose dps by using swd in the rotation. Also, you risk killing yourself, especially on encounters such as sarth 3d (which you haven't done yet, but once you do you will see), thaddius, sapphiron etc.

The spell is too weak to be a dps increase, you use it as a filler when you have to move and when it's safe to fire it, say anub'rekhan p2 or when you want to kill some add in order to proc spirit tap, like at maexxna for example.

Also, you do have to move out of any damage being caused by a raid boss (void zone, flame wall, sapphiron's blizzard).

I suggest not giving out tips if you're really inexperienced player because you'll lead people to wrong conclusions.

Deleted

SWD is nerly worth it whit 4 pices T7 for the set bonus and the glyph. then you shood se a bit more dps.

but since i only run in 2 pices T7. (sholders and gloves) and use the MF glyph in sted. its not worth the cast.

True, I agree that you can't always use SW.There were many a time in BC when I killed myself using SW in my rotation due to ill timing. I prefer to use SW because it adds a few extra points to that dps meter, even if it isn't needed in the main rotation.

By the AOE thing I meant silly things like Rain of Fire on Faerlina, not AOE like Sapp's blizzard or void zones on Sarth, that's just suicide to stay in.

Also, true I haven't done 3d Sarth, not many have. Might you have an armoury to back up that big e-peen of yours?

Also, true I haven't done 3d Sarth, not many have. Might you have an armoury to back up that big e-peen of yours?
    I'm sorry but I'm not e-peening at all. Actually, many have done it, and of course - http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...denar&n=Syanid

Quote Originally Posted by Lostprophet
    sw:d gets used only as a filer.....

SWD is not 200 dps increase at all... If you time it absolutely perfectly in the very few situations in a rotation where it would come up (I'm assuming you use it while moving etc anyways) then it's still just like a <50 increase and that's assuming you have perfect latency and incredible reaction time.

True, I agree that you can't always use SW.There were many a time in BC when I killed myself using SW in my rotation due to ill timing. I prefer to use SW because it adds a few extra points to that dps meter, even if it isn't needed in the main rotation.

By the AOE thing I meant silly things like Rain of Fire on Faerlina, not AOE like Sapp's blizzard or void zones on Sarth, that's just suicide to stay in.

I'll have to agree with others in saying SWD is not worth casting anymore. If SWD didn't have a GCD then that would be an entirely different thing. In the time it would take to cast SWD (including GCD), you could already have done two Mindflay ticks. This is assuming you're standing still and are in no need of moving around.

Well, it is not entirely useless, but right now it is only worth casting if you are moving.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Strictly speaking, in an absolutely perfect environment, SW is an increase of ~50 dps. However, that's assuming zero latency, perfect reaction times, no movement, and no mistakes. Basically impossible circumstances unless you're playing from Blizz's datacenter and even then you still have human error to deal with.

The current thinking is that, given that the introduction of another spell into the rotation usually increases the likelihood of mistakes due to complication, it's probably a dps increase to leave SW out as it simplifies our rotation.

The general rule of thumb is that you cast SW as a filler spell if you have less than 2 seconds until a higher priority spell's cooldown is up. The reason being that you won't get the full benefit of a clipped mind flay in that time. The only other time you'd want to consider using it is while moving since it's instant cast. Other than that, it's best to leave it out of your normal rotation.

I'm still thinking 14/0/57 would be the best. On that one I had one extra talent point that you could throw in whatever you need 8% threat reduction, 33% VE increase, or imp Shadowform. For me I would probably throw it in the imp VE.

Everyone knows SW is trash so lets keep on the discussion of builds

The spec the OP posted confuses me. Even when I was in trash gear and having awful mana issues, I didn't think of speccing into mental agility. I understand the 3% hit from shadow focus can be made up by gear, but why would waste the item points on that stat if you don't have to? I'd much rather have that hit from talents and then use my gear to stack some more crit or something of the like.

I also really rather like imp shadow form for raids, though I understand a lot of people live without it and do just fine. There are several fights (I'll assume I don't need to list them all as evidence) in Naxx alone that make the two points worth it for me. I think you'd really be missing out by skipping them just to get mental agility.

Honestly, I know from experience that mana issues of starting shadow priests can be awful (my guild note is still "Wait guys! I'm drinking!") but it really does even out with gear. I can't honestly remember the last time I had to sit down and drink, much less the last time I ran oom on a boss fight.

If you are having mana issues, then Mairyonette's spec works fine. The reason I don't need to use your shadowfiend at 3 minute intervals as opposed to five is because of the debuff heroism applies to everyone in the raid. Really you should be saving your Shadowfiend for heroism, as it will attack faster and regen more mana for you. If between Replenishment, 5 minute Shadowfiend, and Dispersion you still find yourself going oom, then I don't even know what to tell you except l2p

yeah.. about sarth 3d and shadow word death

just testing it out we still haven't kill it ( but we're very close) our guild pretty much 1 shots 2 drakes though

but this from our log

Rhiannan Shadow Word: Death hits Sartharion for 7258 Shadow. (Critical) (341 Resisted)
    Rhiannan suffers 9857 Shadow damage from nil Shadow Word: Death.

and i totally agree that 57/14 is probably still the best spec for us to use in shadow. now the 1 extra point mentioned can be put where ever it is needed.

Theres actually 1 thing that buggs me when ppl link their shadow pve build and thats 3/3 in "pain and suffering" sure having a 100% refresh time on sw is nice, but the times i used it, my mf resets the dot before it even ticks once, and i don't use sw that much to justify 30% reduced recoil damg, thats 1 point better spend somewhere else.

If blizzard could re-design it so it refesh sw after it ticks then i might actually have 3/3 in it.

This is what i use, ofc it can alwasy be discussed were to put some points but thats up to your own playstyle and what you prefer.