PvE spec + Rawr?

I quit shortly into Cata, and now that I've returned, I notice a lot of top mages spec'ing arcane for PvE. Prior to quitting, the assumption seemed to be that fire was best once fully geared, whereas frost was a competitor for starting out.

I've been doing frost, but I think I've reached a point where I'll benefit from switching specs, and I'm not sure if I should go arcane or go fire.

Also, I've been using Rawr for gear upgrades, and one thing I found unusual is this: it often recommends me to upgrade PvE pieces for PvP pieces, even at the loss of hit. Should I follow it in this case? For example, it recommends my arena chest over Robes of Dissention. In fact, it's recommending me to replace almost all of my pieces with PvP gear, which will virtually destroy my hit rating.

Thanks.
    Last edited by enarchay; 2011-06-15 at 02:18 AM.

Currently arcane is the best single target spec for pve, because Blizzard buffed it to hell, like it was back in Wrath, and I've never used Rawr, but I'm guessing it's taking the pvp gear's Ilvl over the stats of anything else, if that is the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally never use Rawr, I do my own theorycrafting and simulations, but as far as specs go, frost is stronger than fire for single target, fire is obviously the best for AOE. Arcane is better than frost single target with shard of woe or full 372

10+ Year Old Account
    In Cata hit isn't the top stat anymore. Int,Agil,Str,etc whatever your attack power/spellpower increasing stat is outweighs hit rating to a certain extent.
    For mages I think it's something like atleast 15% hit.
    Basically you hit alot harder and you miss a little bit more but it rounds off to being more dmg done.

10+ Year Old Account
    For fire and frost you need hitcap, cant afford to miss an impact or a combustion / Deep freeze