Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should I drop enchanting?

I have 330 enchanting and it is NOT MAKING ME ANY MONEY. I have waisted more then 2k on enchanting mats and i really don't think its worth the extra enchant that we get from having it. My other proff is mining which is a huge money maker for me, but all the money i make is used for enchanting... i also heard that JC easily makes money.

should i drop enchanting for JC???

Re: Should I drop enchanting?

if you have 330 enchanting its more than natural that you don't make any money, you won't make money with 330 jc either. Both professions are more or less expensive to skill, so just skill up and make money.
    You can't expect to make money with any professions as long as you're above 420

15+ Year Old Account

You're going to have the same problem with Jewelcrafting as with Enchanting at a skill level of 330. There is no one that needs enchants from that level. Professions such as Enchanting and Jewelcrafting will be profitable near maximum level, 420 to 450. Anywhere below that and it'll cost you more than you will earn with it.

I wouldn't drop it if I were you, because Jewelcrafting is just as expensive.
    Statix will suffice.

Deleted

I leveled JC by only buying the mats, cost me about 3-4k gold. But now I get 3x uber gems and I make around 170g a day from doing the daily JC quest and buying a Dragon's Tear and then selling it.

It's by far the best proffesion in-game. So if you still want to keep mining I would switch Enchanting for JC. I go with Inscription / JC atm cause I cba to farm Hordir rep. I dont need mining to make money since I do the JC daily each day, takes about 10 mins. If you still need more cash you could farm some Eternals or something.

i have another question does running old instances (50-60) and DEing all the blue make that much money or i could make more money running people throughout them?

Quote Originally Posted by Fjodor
    It's by far the best proffesion in-game
    Today, yes, since you get greater benefit from the JC-only gems that you get from other professions (such as ring enchants, etc). But when epic gems are introduced int LK, it will be of no greater benefit than other professions (though convenient for meeting meta requirements).

Enchanting is great as a money maker at max level. Also as a money-saver since as you replace gear with upgrades, you can DE the old gear and get mats free towards enchanting the new.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

If you have made 0 G with enchanting, but spent 2k G on mats, that means some other enchanters made 2k G off of you, so do what they do, farm a low lvl instance for a little bit and sell your mats, or use them to level yourself.

I can make several hundred G in a day from buying all of the lvl 74+ cheap greens, DEing them and selling the mats. Some people are smart and know that people do this, so they make greens buy-able on a narrow profit margin, but then there people who power level BS or LW and sell all of their greens for like 9 gold, you can get mats out of those that sell for 20g or more.

And there is also the LWF 450 enchanter, and charge 5 or 10 g per enchant.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Yeah, the profit from enchanting comes from selling mats. I know, on my realm at least, that people are cheap with tips or don't want to tip at all for doing enchants. Cheap greens on AH yield an ok profit sometimes. After i put a bunch of mats on AH, I'll then advertise, not expecting a tip, but to have my mats bought.
    I'm so out of this world, I make telescopes squint.
    -=702 Gamer=-

So... most of the money you get from enchanting is from selling mats.... isn't that retarded in some way, at 450 enchanting (or at the level you can de wotlk epics) you could never sell an enchant but still make money?

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

I can sell enchants (I don't put scrolls on AH though), but I make far more money just throwing some mats on AH and forgetting about it, rather than advertising in trade and having people not tip or say my price is too expensive with my mats. So yeah, selling mats on AH is quicker and makes more money (on my realm/faction).

I think JC could be a lot more profitable, but it would depend on your specific realm's economy, demand, ect. for how much better it is. I'm dropping my tailoring for alchemy (based purely on making money) and keeping enchanting.
    I'm so out of this world, I make telescopes squint.
    -=702 Gamer=-

Wizzleteats

Quote Originally Posted by Resto
    So... most of the money you get from enchanting is from selling mats.... isn't that retarded in some way, at 450 enchanting (or at the level you can de wotlk epics) you could never sell an enchant but still make money?
    At a lower level, the best way to make money off of Enchanting is to sell mats - which is what I believe the person you are responding to was suggesting. You can sell lower level enchants, but it may or may not be worthwhile depending on the cost of the mats, your server, etc. At a higher level (430-440+), actually selling top-end enchants becomes very profitable and thanks to Vellum's, Enchanters no longer have to sit in Trade Chat spamming.

Not that I would ever advertise my professions in Trade Chat, mind you. >_>;

Me: [Enchanting] available, your mats, no tip. Just click the link, find your enchant and supply the mats!
    Noobone: ware i get dese mats?
    Noobtwo: cna u do firey?
    Noobthree: how muhc 4 berzerking?
    Noobfour: can u sell me mats?
    Noobfive: can i trade you 3 sm shards for 1 large 1?
    Noobsix: i want +25hp 2 chest, can u come to exodar?
    Me: /facepalm

The sad thing is, with the ability to link professions now, it's even easier these days to advertise. The stupidity remains, however. >_<

Im 448 enchanting myself and the best money maker for me has been running strat undead side so far (im after the barons mount) no one wants the large brilliant shards (so i vendor the blues) anymore but im getting 20g per greater eternal essence and making around +200g per run and that is skipping as much trash as i can.

Quote Originally Posted by DG
    Im 448 enchanting myself and the best money maker for me has been running strat undead side so far (im after the barons mount) no one wants the large brilliant shards (so i vendor the blues) anymore but im getting 20g per greater eternal essence and making around +200g per run and that is skipping as much trash as i can.
    What class/spec are you because I'm an ele shaman and we have shit AOE so it sort-of sucks for me...

Im a lock 0/31/40 and I dont actually use any real AoE for any length of time, I enter and go straight for the spider dude (sorry I never pay much attention to names. You can get to him with out killing any trash, just plan to move when there are no gargoyles about. Then when he is dead just back track and head for the banshee boss, I dismiss pet here so i dont get mind controlled as that resets the boss. At this point ive killed at most 1 patrolling banshee, you can then run straight to the next boss with a bit of mob dodging, stand at the bottom of the stairs to kill the adds if u like, I personnally just run up and Aoe the boss (he only has around 20k hp or something like that and hits for shit) When I head out of here I hug the wall of the right to avoid the fountain and the patrolling mobs. I take out the 3 mobs on the corner (from experience I learnt that trying to avoid these 3 ended up pulling too many patrolling anub thingys, banshees and gargoyles and I was getting silienced and did actually die because my pet (imp) and wand couldnt kill the 10 odd mobs that aggro'd to me faster than they could kill me. Then go kill the guy that drops the key to the city for another green and blue item. Next is the abomination bit, i normally just run around and dot up 4-5 at once because im in a rush but its easy enough to just single nuke. When the million odd skellies come out they hit for so little you can bitch slap them in unarmed and they will die before you do. For the baron you dont need Aoe either, just stand and nuke. I end up just standing toe to toe with him and he's dead before he can sacrifce his minions.

Sorry for the spelling and lack of mob names as im tired but I hope it helps you out Resto. At lvl 80 regardless of class you dont really need any Aoe, just avoid all the mobs you can or you if cant avoid them, then pull them in small manageable groups. DE the greens, vendor the blues and go home alot more wealthy

Quote Originally Posted by DG
    Im a lock 0/31/40 and I dont actually use any real AoE for any length of time, I enter and go straight for the spider dude (sorry I never pay much attention to names. You can get to him with out killing any trash, just plan to move when there are no gargoyles about. Then when he is dead just back track and head for the banshee boss, I dismiss pet here so i dont get mind controlled as that resets the boss. At this point ive killed at most 1 patrolling banshee, you can then run straight to the next boss with a bit of mob dodging, stand at the bottom of the stairs to kill the adds if u like, I personnally just run up and Aoe the boss (he only has around 20k hp or something like that and hits for shit) When I head out of here I hug the wall of the right to avoid the fountain and the patrolling mobs. I take out the 3 mobs on the corner (from experience I learnt that trying to avoid these 3 ended up pulling too many patrolling anub thingys, banshees and gargoyles and I was getting silienced and did actually die because my pet (imp) and wand couldnt kill the 10 odd mobs that aggro'd to me faster than they could kill me. Then go kill the guy that drops the key to the city for another green and blue item. Next is the abomination bit, i normally just run around and dot up 4-5 at once because im in a rush but its easy enough to just single nuke. When the million odd skellies come out they hit for so little you can bitch slap them in unarmed and they will die before you do. For the baron you dont need Aoe either, just stand and nuke. I end up just standing toe to toe with him and he's dead before he can sacrifce his minions.

Sorry for the spelling and lack of mob names as im tired but I hope it helps you out Resto. At lvl 80 regardless of class you dont really need any Aoe, just avoid all the mobs you can or you if cant avoid them, then pull them in small manageable groups. DE the greens, vendor the blues and go home alot more wealthy
    Thanks i think ill try this out soon ;D

also does anyone know how hight your enchanting has to be to de wotlk epics? (i think its 375 because it was 300 in bc)

Wizzleteats

Thanks i think ill try this out soon ;D

also does anyone know how hight your enchanting has to be to de wotlk epics? (i think its 375 because it was 300 in bc)
    It is 375 for Epics.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzleteats
    It is 375 for Epics.
    thx

Ok i got another question for making money should i only level enchanting 375 just so i can de everything?

Edit: Is there any reason besides selling enchants to level it further then 375?

Pretty much as others have said there is very little money to be made from making enchants, sure you can get a tip here or there, or you can sell enchants on the AH.
    But there is a huge amount of gold to be made from disenchanting greens and selling the results, if you know what an item is gogin to disenchant into (enchantrix) and you know how much those mats are worth you can make a lot of money buying all teh greens on the AH that are below that figure.

Get your self up to a reasonable level then every time someone in your guild needs an enchant that you have get them to get you to do it..

At the very least Icewalker is the best foot enchant for a lot of classes and is one of the first you get in wotlk.

thx

Ok i got another question for making money should i only level enchanting 375 just so i can de everything?

Edit: Is there any reason besides selling enchants to level it further then 375?
    400 for rings

Quote Originally Posted by heartlexx
    400 for rings
    Thx

I'm going to level it to 400 now (Imo 375-400 is probably easy because 300-325 was just a shit load of dust that i had from DEing outland greens)

And thanks to everyone that helped me ;D

Edit: 100th post