Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Healbot vs. Grid+Clique

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala
    If you're healing without some kind of healing mod, I'm not bringing you to my raid. Ever. Period.

True story.
    I've been playing for 4 years, and play all healer classes at 80. Raiding on my druid only. I've yet to install a single heal aid mod in all those years and yet outheal other healers using mods more often than not. The only mod I use is Xperl unitframes and Deadlybossmods. Healing mods arn't how the game was designed for healers to play, it makes you damn lazy and in-turn actually perform far less than can be expected. (I use blizzard standard bars and click-press hotkey-heal method).

Quote Originally Posted by Nukazin
    I've been playing for 4 years, and play all healer classes at 80. Raiding on my druid only. I've yet to install a single heal aid mod in all those years and yet outheal other healers using mods more often than not. The only mod I use is Xperl unitframes and Deadlybossmods. Healing mods arn't how the game was designed for healers to play, it makes you damn lazy and in-turn actually perform far less than can be expected. (I use blizzard standard bars and click-press hotkey-heal method).
    I'm kind of calling bs on this. You may do it the classic way but you dont outheal everybody unless you surround yourself with awful healers... It just makes sense that an extra click means you cant hot as many people (in your case its hotting), period. Nothing to do with your eliteness, just common sense. It doesn't mean you are lazy either if you use healbot , click healing is much better and more EFFICIENT (everything in a raids success revolves around being efficient) than click targetting and using a macro or F-Targeting and using a macro. On my shaman click targetting is just inefficient and a waste of time, why would anybody want to heal like that when you could click cast. Makes no sense whatsoever. I guess its a matter of opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by zaneosak
    I'm kind of calling bs on this. You may do it the classic way but you dont outheal everybody unless you surround yourself with awful healers... It just makes sense that an extra click means you cant hot as many people (in your case its hotting), period. Nothing to do with your eliteness, just common sense. It doesn't mean you are lazy either if you use healbot , click healing is much better and more EFFICIENT (everything in a raids success revolves around being efficient) than click targetting and using a macro or F-Targeting and using a macro. On my shaman click targetting is just inefficient and a waste of time, why would anybody want to heal like that when you could click cast. Makes no sense whatsoever. I guess its a matter of opinion.
    Ok, I'm glad you think that is how it works. I was pointing out a raid can be made out of either Mod using healers or Non-mod using healers. It shouldn't matter. The gentelmen I quoted stated he wouldn't use the latter of the two ever. Which I find BS. If you also think I'm talking crap. I can paste you WWS Parses of entire naxx runs. Also, if you read correctly, I don't always outheal them(just please re-read). I said 'more often than not' which a phrase to resemble no fixed and figurative counter above another.

Grid has one advantage over other raid frames. It allows you to add custom debuffs by name. This is important if you are raiding new content where the debuffs don't automatically show up on most raid frames. For example, you can add Frost Blast to your grid and the second people are hit by it the debuff appears on your grid. Fast reaction time really helps in instances like that.

I was a Healbot user for a while, but switched to plain ol' Grid and simply press my heal buttons. For all those people who say it saves clicks and time to use Clique/Healbot, you have at least a GCD's worth of time to change targets between heals anyway which is more than enough time to switch targets and have your next heal ready to go.

I went classic style for PvP reasons. I should be Gladiator this season and in large part it's becuase I got much more comfortable with classic style healing as compared to my previous use of Healbot for arena healing/despelling. I doubt any serious Arena healers use Clique or Healbot becuase it wouldn't be as efficient. Also, I like to use as few mods as possible (Grid's just very well organized and is useful for seeing incoming heals).

It all comes down to preference and doesn't really matter. I like knowing that I don't have to depend on an addon to be updated with each patch before I'm comfortable healing again. (Heck, I even use the default frames if I have to) And please, don't listen to all those who claim that classic style healers can only outperform "bad" healers. Watch 5 different movies of top guilds' healers and you'll probably see 5 slightly different ways of healing in terms of add-ons and classic/clicking style healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukazin
    Ok, I'm glad you think that is how it works. I was pointing out a raid can be made out of either Mod using healers or Non-mod using healers. It shouldn't matter. The gentelmen I quoted stated he wouldn't use the latter of the two ever. Which I find BS. If you also think I'm talking crap. I can paste you WWS Parses of entire naxx runs. Also, if you read correctly, I don't always outheal them(just please re-read). I said 'more often than not' which a phrase to resemble no fixed and figurative counter above another.
    No offense but i can heal naxx with one hand down in my panties :>

The Current Raidcontent is , ya u know it , rly easy.. even Sarth 3d is getting boring..

While i and probably most of the healer can heal _without_ Clique or Healbot, it is faster with those addons.

Dunno if you ever healed Sunwell but there u would see the difference of healing with those or without, especially Eredar Twins and Muru. There u need every second.

I use Grid & Clique, never used Healbot coz i know grid well.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesentinel
    I have a question regarding the use of Clique.

Obviously I setup the left and right mouse button clicks to perform a heal - but then when I click on player portrait it casts the spells - ie. I can't right click on my portrait to leave a raid group without casting a heal... :S

Any advice?
    Click on your spell book and go to the button for clique setup. On the bottom is an option for frames. In there you can add/delete which frames you want clique to work for.

I take it off of usually everything except grid and focus frames personally (so you don't have the problem of leaving parties etc). I also leave left mouse button open for targeting players and right button for my most used spells.

It's great even for dps and tanks to have for monitoring the raid. My mage runs with it on sometimes and always when he's on Noth. I've run with too many people that don't use addons or don't want to stop their (already poor) dps to remove curses.

I'd never go back to healing without it either. It's very hard to track HoTs on more than your current target so rolling lifeblooms on multiple tanks becomes much easier and efficient. I've never used Healbot but I've heard it's pretty much the same.

Ahhhh - that's brilliant - thanks!

Ok - next question

Is there a way to order Grid icons by class?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Girryn
    Writing your own mouseover macros tailored to your preference and needs > Clique.
    This.

I've been using Grid to heal for a while now and I like it, however, Grid isn't updating when people are in and out of my heal range by graying out or coming back in if you know what I mean, should I download a new version or is there another way to solve this? I'm pretty sure I tried downloading a new one a while back to no avail and I thought it was a setting that was default.

Writing your own mouseover macros tailored to your preference and needs > Clique.
    nope, Clique can do everything mouseover macros can do, but mouseover macros cant do everything clique can

iE: binding RightMouse to Flashheal but this should ONLY work if im over a Grid target..with mouseover u cant rightclick peoble to "inspect" oder yourself to leave a grp.. You might make makro for all that shit but its gonna more complicated so.. In Clique , you can choose on which Frames this bind shall work.

Quote Originally Posted by zaneosak
    Umm.. unless you've found a way to heal faster than the GCD, and you haven't, there's absolutely no reason a person who selects a unit frame and then heals is at any less of a disadvantage than someone who uses grid+clique or healbot to place heals on a target. I'll give you the fact that it'll take more clicks to get the job done, but the throughput is no different.

I read a post that said as a HoT user that Healbot is much better to use.

This is completly wrong. Grid, Properly set up to Tree is much much much better.

But for other classes I dont know. As a HoT user i need to see who has HoTs on em and who doesnt. Not just mine but other cast but Others Trees & Priests and Grid can track 8 or 9 hots per unit frame and the infomation is easily absorbed.

For me its Grid/Clique al the way as long as it is customised to you raid job. Heal bot is a more out of the box tool for people who dont want or have the time to spend a day or 2 customising frames to your own style.

A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Mage, Druid, DK & Shaman,

As a druid healer I find grid/clique more useful than healbot as you can setup grid to show how many stacks of LB you currenty have on different tagets also color code a square to show up red as the LB is about to expire and/or just have a counter that counts down.
    Also my grid shows when party members are out of reach, saw some post about it not doing that..
    Healbot my be easier to setup but spend alittle time in grid and it will do everything you would ever want.

15+ Year Old Account

I tried to use grid but found it too minimalistic and I wanted something better. What I ended up doing is going healbot.

With healbot I can see actual raid frames, like the ones from my x-pearl unit frames and I have it set up to where anything that I can debuff as a paladin is highlighted throughout the entire frame based on spell type and color. I also set the option to buff the entire frame red based on aggro so I can see a clothie getting mob aggro and throw a HL or BoP before they get 1-2shotted.

Its also nice in that it shows my 2 healing buffs on targets so I never have to keep one targeted and it seems better for paladins since my mouse has 4 buttons on it and I only cast 4 things(HL,FoL,HS,Cleanse) minus my healing buffs.

I also like itbetter in that it shows a health bar with name and percentage and you can see incoming heals and for how much. Also I can downsize it and it wont look so crammed like grid is.

I don't see what Grid offers that Healbot doesn't. With Grid you need a crap load of additional addons And clique for it to function at all like Healbot.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesentinel
    Ahhhh - that's brilliant - thanks!

Ok - next question

Is there a way to order Grid icons by class?

Thanks
    Open the grid menu. On the left click on layout (just on the word, not on the button to open up all it's options). When you click on it there should be multiple options on how to change the layout with drop down menus. The options include 'by class'.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterpd85
    I tried to use grid but found it too minimalistic and I wanted something better. What I ended up doing is going healbot.

With healbot I can see actual raid frames, like the ones from my x-pearl unit frames and I have it set up to where anything that I can debuff as a paladin is highlighted throughout the entire frame based on spell type and color. I also set the option to buff the entire frame red based on aggro so I can see a clothie getting mob aggro and throw a HL or BoP before they get 1-2shotted.

Its also nice in that it shows my 2 healing buffs on targets so I never have to keep one targeted and it seems better for paladins since my mouse has 4 buttons on it and I only cast 4 things(HL,FoL,HS,Cleanse) minus my healing buffs.

I also like itbetter in that it shows a health bar with name and percentage and you can see incoming heals and for how much. Also I can downsize it and it wont look so crammed like grid is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neeklus
    I don't see what Grid offers that Healbot doesn't. With Grid you need a crap load of additional addons And clique for it to function at all like Healbot.
    Spend a little time setting it up. All those things you want to do are pretty easy to set up in grid. I have alerts for aggro, range, debuffs that I can remove, 1 for each HoT, 1 for lifebloom duration, it shows incoming heals and more. You can set up vertical grouping or horizontal, adjust the height, width, borders, spacing. You can have timers, text, or buff/debuff icons in the middle.

Yes you probably want clique and maybe even some more addons so you can customize it even more. I don't see how that is an issue or how that makes it bad. If you are looking to use addons and customize your setup in the first place wouldn't the ones with more versatility and better performance be .... better? Like I said, I've never used healbot so I won't say it's bad, but for anyone that has taken more than 1 second to look at grid can see that it has everything mentioned so far.

The only problem I have so far is not being able to (as far as I know) move frames around. Say you want to have all tanks next to each other so you can track them easier, I haven't found a way to do that yet but it's not a big deal. Only time I wanted it is in PuGs and I had trouble remembering all the tanks, or even just finding them (especially 40 man groups).

Quote Originally Posted by Lostprophet
    No offense but i can heal naxx with one hand down in my panties :>

The Current Raidcontent is , ya u know it , rly easy.. even Sarth 3d is getting boring..

While i and probably most of the healer can heal _without_ Clique or Healbot, it is faster with those addons.

Dunno if you ever healed Sunwell but there u would see the difference of healing with those or without, especially Eredar Twins and Muru. There u need every second.

I use Grid & Clique, never used Healbot coz i know grid well.
    I also can heal all of nax with one hand down in your panties..

All joking aside (sorry couldnt help it, to easy) addon preference is truly just that, preference. Grid/clique doesnt do anything healbot can't or vis versa. good healers heal with and how they are comfertable. there are healers out there that heal with only what bliz gave them that heal as well as anyone else. It's nothing more than what you prefer and what fits your style.

I use heal bot although i have heard grid+clique does the job just as well.

I have a bit of an odd question though in relation to grid.. how dependent is it on using different colours to indicate buffs, de-buffs, hots etc rather that icons.. I ask because I'm colourblind and really struggle to differentiate between certain colours. So a system that relies heavily on being able to tell the difference between, green, brown, red, blue, purple etc is a struggle for me.

Heal bot actually displays the spell icon on the bar so that aint a problem but if grid relys on coloured borders / centres then that would cause no end of entertaining situations for my raid mates im sure
    We dont stop playing because we grow old,
    We grow old because we stop playing