Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    TheRealMethuselah

Re: Macro(s) for huge fps jump in WoW

You're very welcome... I'm trying to test right now which settings in WoW give me a fps boost... I tried unchecking reduce input lag, and it increased FPS but when walking around areas I get a stutter every once in a while, so I'll leave it checked.

Desktop gamma is a weird animal... sometimes I notice an increase, sometimes a decrease... more testing perhaps... needs more salt.

EDIT: Turn off vsync for an increase as well... 5-6 fps for me... my buddy has a top-of-the-line desktop and he went from 60 to 85 fps.

Testing another one
    Code:
    /console MaxFPS 400
    Gonna add it if it works... and also testing starting WoW with a higher priority.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer
    I usually get about 20FPS in dalaran, I used these macros and I went up to 23FPS for a rather huge loss (I usually play with everything maxed).

I also didnt get any change from using m2Faster 0, 1, 2, or 3 despite the fact that I am using a quad core (Q6600). I wouldnt think that it would be a video card bottleneck since I am using an 8800Ultra...
    You're getting horrible FPS for your machine then. I have a Core 2 Duo and an 8600M on my laptop, and dalaran only takes me down to around 30fps.

Turning off Vsync makes my screen go like sh*t 0.o

better to not turn it off for me

keep us up-2date!

Shazjia

TheRealMethuselah

Some have reported that problem when using a CRT instead of an LCD... it's understandable... still working on optimizations.

Hello guys,

thanks for sharing this information, many members from my guild will be happy to tune they're game a bit more!

I'm posting since I have a question I would like you guys to awnser me:

Is there any way to force the game to always use a specific screen refresh rate?

What happens is, everytime I open the game I have to go to Video options and select from 60 to 75 Hertz wich allows me to boost a bit my FPS.

Thanks in advance.

Cya in game.

Cc

Is there any way to force the game to always use a specific screen refresh rate?

What happens is, everytime I open the game I have to go to Video options and select from 60 to 75 Hertz wich allows me to boost a bit my FPS.
    Are you using a CRT of TFT screen.

if ur using a TFT screen then 60hz is probably the max u can get.
    in-game u can set it higher, but next time u log-in it will be resetted to the max of 60 hz.
    so no need to put it higher.

Shaz

EDIT: Correct me if i'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by cybercat
    Hello guys,

thanks for sharing this information, many members from my guild will be happy to tune they're game a bit more!

Thanks in advance.

Cya in game.

Cc
    I think there is, I dont know the exact menu folders but if you got to your advanced setting of you graphics card there is a tab somewhere to have stuff either application managed or turn on or off by default, I think that is also contains the option to force a refresh rate. On the side note dont put your refresh rate higher then 60 if you are using a flat screen.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Thanks for the fast response!

I'm using a TFT that can go all the way to 1600x1200@75Hertz. That's why in-game it let me uses this option.

The only bummer is everytime i log in I have to change this video option

I'll check if the display drivers can force WoW application to run under a specific screen configuration.

Thanks again.

Cc

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealMethuselah
    There's no way these macros caused your ntfs corruption... they don't even deal with the file system, it's just graphics settings.

I have an Nvidia based graphics card on my machine and use these macros everytime I run WoW.

If a macro could crash your computer, I'm sure someone would have made a WoW virus a long time ago.
    /console crashIP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ? :P
    "Like it's MY fault some BIG dragon knocked me into a cave full of LITTLE dragons!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperweight View Post
    The community didn't go down the shitter because of the LFG system, the LFG system just introduced you to the shitty community in a horribly effective way.

TheRealMethuselah

Quote Originally Posted by cybercat
    Hello guys,

Thanks in advance.

Cya in game.

Cc
    In order to save it for every use go into your World of Warcraft/WTF folder and edit the config.wtf file and edit the line:

Code:
    SET gxRefresh "60"
    TO
    Code:
    SET gxRefresh "75"
    You may have to make the file read-only afterwards, not sure.

In game you can use if you don't want to edit your config.wtf file.
    Code:
    /console gxRefresh 75
    Rates can be:
    60,70,72,75,85,90,100,120,160 or 200

I just tried the first three macros today in Dalaran. None of them had any effect on my fps at all. I made sure everything was correct in them and manually typed them out each. Still nothing. Anyone else get no effect from these? And anyone have a suggestion for me? :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

They only change settings in the Config.wtf, they are global, but if you want to reset just delete the config.wtf file and they should go back to default.

Unless you have a REALLY bad machine, these should improve your fps dramatically.
    you can write the commands (without the /console) into the config.wtf and the game should apply them ???

In order to save it for every use go into your World of Warcraft/WTF folder and edit the config.wtf file and edit the line:

Code:
    SET gxRefresh "60"
    TO
    Code:
    SET gxRefresh "75"
    You may have to make the file read-only afterwards, not sure.

In game you can use if you don't want to edit your config.wtf file.
    Code:
    /console gxRefresh 75
    Rates can be:
    60,70,72,75,85,90,100,120,160 or 200

Thanks Methuselah, I tryed the 3 macros, but only sticked to 1st and 3rd. The farclip macro just "fog's" my game and tbh I didn't liked it!

I got around 20~30 FPS improvement while running in Dalaran.

Again thanks for the tips!

Cya in game.

Cc

TheRealMethuselah

Glad I could help my friend... 8)

I just wanted to say "Thank you!" to the OP. I currently have satellite internet (not by choice, trust me) and I was constantly getting disconnected. I used these macros and not only did my fps go up, but the number of disconnects dropped. If you discover any new tricks, please post!!

Tried the macros, didn't see much improvement standing in Dalaran. maybe slight increase but that was only using partial macro of the 2nd and 3rd listed. Tried full macros of each and FR actually dropped about 5. :/ Definately not a 15-20 fps gain.

Since my Device manager is apparently timing out I can't verify but I believe I have a Geforce 6800 on this laptop which is about 2 1/2 years old now. Currently not working so I can't afford to get a newer cheap desktop so trying whatever tricks I can to improve FR. :/ Thoughts on why the macro didn't seem to help at all?
    "I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the Constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who is gonna save your lives and all 6 billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?"

-The Doctor, Voyage of the Damned

TheRealMethuselah

Well you obviously either have a virus or some sort of spyware/adware/malware running on your machine if your Device Manager is "timing out"... I'd fix this problem first and foremost.

Go to filehippo.com
    Download HijackThis and Spybot - Search & Destroy and updates... reboot your machine in Safe Mode (F8) and run HT first and check any suspicious items then run SSD to check your machine...

You may also want to make sure your machine isn't holding onto some old files CCleaner is great for that. And then do a google search for UltimateDefrag and click on Auto then Analyze and Defrag, it should help, I placed all my WoW files on the smalllest portion of the disc so that the seek time is smaller.

any way to reset all these changes?

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklol
    any way to reset all these changes?
    I think you can delete the Config.wtf file in WTF folder.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Well you obviously either have a virus or some sort of spyware/adware/malware running on your machine if your Device Manager is "timing out"... I'd fix this problem first and foremost.

Go to filehippo.com
    Download HijackThis and Spybot - Search & Destroy and updates... reboot your machine in Safe Mode (F8) and run HT first and check any suspicious items then run SSD to check your machine...

You may also want to make sure your machine isn't holding onto some old files CCleaner is great for that. And then do a google search for UltimateDefrag and click on Auto then Analyze and Defrag, it should help, I placed all my WoW files on the smalllest portion of the disc so that the seek time is smaller.

Seemed like a hiccup because I have no timing out on Dev. Manag. now, but got CCleaner and trying out UltDefrag anyway.
    Gfx Card is Geforce 7900, still want to know why performance seemed to drop rather than increase with the macro use, and fps didn't go up at all. Seemed like it went down mainly due to the other players around me and no it wasn't because there were a lot more than normal. :/
    "I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the Constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who is gonna save your lives and all 6 billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?"

-The Doctor, Voyage of the Damned