Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Tanking Glyphs in 3.1

Tanking Glyphs in 3.1 what are yours gonna be? any decisions yet?

Re: Tanking Glyphs in 3.1

I'm actually considering having two Tanking sets on my dual-spec system, one for trash and spawn off-tanking, and one for single-target/Main boss tanking. So my glyphs are gonna be slightly different, assuming the ones currently in the PTR are what they'll be in live.

Main boss tanking: Divine Plea, Avenger's Shield, possibly either Seal of Vengeance or Hand of Salvation for Sartharion-style fights

Trash/Spawn tanking: Divine Plea, Righteous Defense, not sure about third (possibly Hand of Salvation again).

Salv, SoV and RD assuming that DP doesn't stack, if it stacks, then I'll probs drop SoV for it.

Divine Plea (since I'm sure it stacks), Avenger's Shield, SoV. if Hand of Salv proves useful and necessary I might consider dropping Avenger's shield glyph for it.

I'd say Hand of Salvation glyph is beneficial for fights where the majority of the damage focus isn't initially done on the main boss, such as Sartharion +3 drakes where the raid focuses on the drakes first before switching to the boss, thus giving you ample threat to negate the -20% threat loss effect.

hand of salv + seal of veng, am undecided on the last one, but probably judgement

righteous def isn't quite as essential anymore imo, now that we have 2x taunts

and I'm positive that divine plea won't stack with sanctuary, if it does then that'd be the 3rd choice, however I really don't see this being the case

A failed taunt on something like Kologarn would be nasty, I think it's worth it compared to the other glyphs available tbh.

If it does not stack Blessing of Sanctuary will become a complete failure from blizzard because the only reason we take it (as paladin) is the 3% damage reduction (2% mana back is crap compared to what we gain from spiritual attunement while tanking)

So if it does not stack it's Bos or the Glyph that become useless. One of the 2

I mean what's the point in creating a glyph that completely replace a mandatory talent you have already ?

It'll stack, there's no purpose to putting both 3% damage reductions in the same tree. While holy and ret can use DP glyph 3% damage reduction is intended for tanking, Salvation glyph is more in line with what they had intended for ret and holy, since neither of them really wants threat. Also, pay attention to some of the new gear before you use that RD glyph, a lot of it has +hit on it now and not at the expense of good tanking stats like in naxx gear. Judgement glyph is like 100 damage every 9 seconds, where exorcism glyph is 500 every 15 seconds, those are both non-crit numbers. At no point is SoV worth getting rid of unless you have over 13% expertise, its our only glyph that immediately impacts how much damage we take in, the only other glyph will be Divine Plea if it goes live. Threat is a non-issue if you don't suck, so less damage taken is always better.

My glyph choices are DP, SoV, exorcism most likely.

What about Hammer of the Righteous? I saw nobody posted it here yet.

DP(assuming it wil stack), SoV and HotR(unless somebody can convince me this isnt a really good glyph).

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ricodyn
    What about Hammer of the Righteous? I saw nobody posted it here yet.

DP(assuming it wil stack), SoV and HotR(unless somebody can convince me this isnt a really good glyph).
    I like it that will be mine.

DP, SoV, and that. or Judgement, or Righteousness.

It just comes down to damage output.

I see it like this: Divine Plea is just bad ass in mitigation (given it stacks, it should), then there are not any other good ones for pure mitigation, so ill take SoV for its utility and parry hasting is important.

Lastly pure threat, it seems the best gain is HotR in sheer damage production, but its also an aoe tanking bonus. Also people like AS, and it is nice, but unless I do something will duel spec to switch I wont ever take it. So as for threat, I would most likely want to pick the Judgement damage boost.

So those are my picks.

A lot of people posted "Seal of Vengeance" Glyph.
    Was that thing changed? Or is it still 10 Expertise?

The thing is: Expertise is next to useless as a prot paladin

Lets see what Talents are affected by Expertise:
    Judgement - No
    Consecration - No
    Shield of the Righteous - No
    Hammer of Righteousness - No
    Seal of V. - No
    Holy Shield - No
    Avengers Shield - No
    Excorcism - No
    Holy Wrath - No

Melee Hits - Yes

So all expertise is good for is giving your melee hits a slightly higher chance to stack SoV to 5 a bit faster.
    Like i said, almost useless.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Astray
    A lot of people posted "Seal of Vengeance" Glyph.
    Was that thing changed? Or is it still 10 Expertise?

The thing is: Expertise is next to useless as a prot paladin

Lets see what Talents are affected by Expertise:
    Judgement - No
    Consecration - No
    Shield of the Righteous - No
    Hammer of Righteousness - No
    Seal of V. - No
    Holy Shield - No
    Avengers Shield - No
    Excorcism - No
    Holy Wrath - No

Melee Hits - Yes

So all expertise is good for is giving your melee hits a slightly higher chance to stack SoV to 5 a bit faster.
    Like i said, almost useless.

um newbie, yea.

1) Melee Hits are bad to have parried because its a reset on swing timer,

even for warriors if their abilities could not be parried it would still be bad.

2) Either: You are not a paladins tank, dont know what your doing, or dont play with scrolling combat text. Because 'Deflected" is a parry.

And with everyone having a fast swinging weapon, boss in ulduar that like to hit for 10k to 15, that swing fast, back to back parry hasting is just BAD.

And like I said if you were talking to me. Those are the only two glyphs for mitigation (except salvation which is dangerous) so that is why it is good to pick up because prot paladins do not NEED expertise as much as other classes, but its still good to have for the DODGE cap which means more threat. So glyph of SoV, and the talent pts make it about what is needed, with everything else being an added bonus.

Example Overly geared tanks dieing on Prince in Kara because they took on a ton of parries is a reason why it is needed. The stat is NOT useless or next to useless when it increases threat, and increases mitigation. That is the best type of stat for a tank.

So in conclusion, dont speak or learn to make better arguments. Because a better one in a thread about glyphs is NOT that experitse is useless, BUT that:

"Given the increase in expertise on gear, racials, and expertise in talents it is much easier to get a reasonable amount of expertise otherwise freeing up a glyph spot for greater threat. Given also that a stronger tanking seal might come along"

So yea, srsly dont troll or make assertions you know nothing about. Because you did not even list the glyphs you would take, only demeaning others. Making you a troll.

I dont know where you got your wisdom, maybe on a silber spoon with your baby food,
    but last time i did research about "deflect" it was not even known if deflection even comes from parried attacks.

If you know better, feel free to post some links, if there are things i dont know about i like to change that.
    I dont need to quote myself, since you already did, but i remember quite well that i said "next to useless" and "almost useless" but not "completely useless".

Of course, when tank-pants drop, that have exactly my stats + a whole lot of expertise i would not say no to them (well, if a warrior or DK is with me, i would give them to him instead).

PS: if i´m a troll, then you are smart ass, i wish you a nice evening.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

Quote Originally Posted by Astray
    I dont know where you got your wisdom, maybe on a silber spoon with your baby food,
    but last time i did research about "deflect" it was not even known if deflection even comes from parried attacks.

If you know better, feel free to post some links, if there are things i dont know about i like to change that.
    I dont need to quote myself, since you already did, but i remember quite well that i said "next to useless" and "almost useless" but not "completely useless".

Of course, when tank-pants drop, that have exactly my stats + a whole lot of expertise i would not say no to them (well, if a warrior or DK is with me, i would give them to him instead).

PS: if i´m a troll, then you are smart ass, i wish you a nice evening.
    It's widely assumed that it's a parry; it is reduced by expertise, and the chances of it seem to jump up quite a bit for bosses, both of which indicate that it's a parry. Even with just HotR and white damage, it's neglible threat and very minor survivability boost.

Quote Originally Posted by brak
    Tanking Glyphs in 3.1 what are yours gonna be? any decisions yet?
    I run as my guild's MT, but obviously have to deal with some trash tanking responsibilities as well. In an ideal world, I'd run two prot specs, one for trash and one for boss fights.

Trash glyphs (great for heroics as well):
    - Hammer of the Righteous
    - Divine Plea
    - Righteous Defense

Boss glyphs:
    - Divine Plea
    - Hand of Salvation
    - Glyph of Judgment

I may substitute Righteous Defense in for Hand of Salvation if we see a lot of Ulduar fights that require taunting bosses, but I will wait until then. In the meantime, I prefer Glyph of Judgment for my boss set - I'd rather just make sure I've got enough tps that I'll never need to taunt a boss back, rather than glyph for taunting the boss itself. I'm also still waiting to see how useful the Hand of Salvation glyph really proves to be in practice, although I'm hopeful it will have some situational value for a few boss fights.

I'm not glyphing for Seal of Vengeance, for the simple reason that I'm already bumping up against the expertise soft cap without it using the "end-game" 25-man gear already, and although it still has some value above the soft cap, it diminishes enough that I no longer really feel the need. If I was still earlier in the gearing up phase, I'd probably think more seriously about keeping the SoV glyph.

I'm also considering the Avenger's Shield glyph for boss fights, and might also use that in lieu of the Hand of Salv glyph if it proves too random or situational to be useful. But in general, I'd prefer the ongoing tps boost of the glyph of Judgment over the Avenger's Shield one.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Stormscale&n=Vexryn

Quote Originally Posted by Evereghalo
    um newbie, yea.

1) Melee Hits are bad to have parried because its a reset on swing timer,

even for warriors if their abilities could not be parried it would still be bad.

2) Either: You are not a paladins tank, dont know what your doing, or dont play with scrolling combat text. Because 'Deflected" is a parry.

And with everyone having a fast swinging weapon, boss in ulduar that like to hit for 10k to 15, that swing fast, back to back parry hasting is just BAD.

And like I said if you were talking to me. Those are the only two glyphs for mitigation (except salvation which is dangerous) so that is why it is good to pick up because prot paladins do not NEED expertise as much as other classes, but its still good to have for the DODGE cap which means more threat. So glyph of SoV, and the talent pts make it about what is needed, with everything else being an added bonus.

Example Overly geared tanks dieing on Prince in Kara because they took on a ton of parries is a reason why it is needed. The stat is NOT useless or next to useless when it increases threat, and increases mitigation. That is the best type of stat for a tank.

So in conclusion, dont speak or learn to make better arguments. Because a better one in a thread about glyphs is NOT that experitse is useless, BUT that:

"Given the increase in expertise on gear, racials, and expertise in talents it is much easier to get a reasonable amount of expertise otherwise freeing up a glyph spot for greater threat. Given also that a stronger tanking seal might come along"

So yea, srsly dont troll or make assertions you know nothing about. Because you did not even list the glyphs you would take, only demeaning others. Making you a troll.

Parrygibs never existed for tankadins, and don't anymore for warriors either with the removal of crushing blows.

Parrygib : Hasting the enemies attack so that he hits through your shieldblock and then lands a crushing before you can refresh it

All these new tankadins now that our spec got fully put into mainstream without a clue... I almost feel like a warrior
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Outland&n=enbee
    -> I might be logged out in protpvpgear

Quote Originally Posted by enbee
    Parrygibs never existed for tankadins, and don't anymore for warriors either with the removal of crushing blows.

Parrygib : Hasting the enemies attack so that he hits through your shieldblock and then lands a crushing before you can refresh it

All these new tankadins now that our spec got fully put into mainstream without a clue... I almost feel like a warrior

Also on topic : DP glyph HoS glyph, undecided on the 3rd, probably Righteous defence for dependability..

Well, ok, that's one definition of a parrygib.

The fact that the parrygib be a CRUSHING blow is not necessarily a "requirement". With Ulduar bosses that hit you through your plate and holy shield for 10k-15k, I'm pretty sure that if you get parried and reset a swing timer and cause a quick succession of two hits, you'll feel "parrygibbed" regardless of whether the gib was a crushing blow or just another really hard non-crit non-crushing swing.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Stormscale&n=Vexryn

The thing is you need such a ridiculous amount of expertise to be parrycapped, why would you even bother as a tankadin when alot of your attacks can't be parried/dodged in the first place.

Granted if you have reckoning you'll do alot of white hits, but for me that doesn't make expertise worthwhile...
    Not that we really have a choice, because looking at ulduar gear it will be shoved down our throats once again, great for warrior tps, not nearly so great for us.