15+ Year Old Account

Misery PTR 3.1.9704

- Misery now increases the benefit from spell power gained by your Mind Blast, Mind Flay and Mind Sear spells by 5/10/15%.

What does this means compared to live ?
    ..: Character: Armory :..
    ..: Config: AMD PhenomII X4 955, 8GB DDR3 Ram, GF GTX460, 2.6TB HDD, Gentoo Linux :..

Re: Misery PTR 3.1.9704

A nerf

Does this sound to anyone else like this talent will increase the base coefficient of these spells?

15+ Year Old Account

i did some math

if i understand the talent now on live it adds 15% of your spell power to your MB,MF,MS
    so lets assume 1000 Spell power this talents adds +150 damage to these spells

If this talent now increases the coefficent from our spells ( as i understand it )
    MB is on a 42.8% coef if i remember correctly
    +15% would be +6,42%

from 1000 Spell power
    MB gains +428 Damage (42,8)
    With the new talent:
    MB gains +499 Damage (49,22) (a Nerf)

if its additive and its 42,8% + 15% then
    MB gains +578 Damage (57,8) (same)

but this is the same then so it cant be, or i dont understand this change then

WTH ? ???
    ..: Config: AMD PhenomII X4 955, 8GB DDR3 Ram, GF GTX460, 2.6TB HDD, Gentoo Linux :..

Deleted

Looks like a nerf on the PTR.
    MF and MB are the 2 most important spells making over 50% of total dmg, so even a small nerf on them will show on the meters.

Why?
    I don't think even blizzard has an answer for that. It's just one of those "we felt like we needed to fix this thing that wasn't broken" ideas. Maybe they are trying to homogenize talents or something, without putting too much thought into it.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by bayi
    i did some math

if i understand the talent now on live it adds 15% of your spell power to your MB,MF,MS
    AFAIK on live it adds 15% of your spellpower to the BASE damage of MB,MF,MS, dunno if you thought of that in your calculation.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    AFAIK on live it adds 15% of your spellpower to the BASE damage of MB,MF,MS, dunno if you thought of that in your calculation.
    no i didnt, i did that at 2am today but i only calculated +dmg what is changed by the fact that it adds to the base dmg or to the total dmg ?

Quote Originally Posted by Berner
    Why?
    I don't think even blizzard has an answer for that. It's just one of those "we felt like we needed to fix this thing that wasn't broken" ideas. Maybe they are trying to homogenize talents or something, without putting too much thought into it.
    QFT

15+ Year Old Account

no i didnt, i did that at 2am today but i only calculated +dmg what is changed by the fact that it adds to the base dmg or to the total dmg ?

QFT
    I worded it wrong. Right now the 15% do not benefit from shadow weaving, darkness and all the other buffs/debuffs. If the coefficient gets 15% more bonus, then that should take those buffs/debuffs into account I think.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    I worded it wrong. Right now the 15% do not benefit from shadow weaving, darkness and all the other buffs/debuffs. If the coefficient gets 15% more bonus, then that should take those buffs/debuffs into account I think.
    oh, i see now

how could i calculate then the dmg including theese dmg modifiers?
    i still want to know what the hell is this change supposed to be

i did some math

If this talent now increases the coefficent from our spells ( as i understand it )
    MB is on a 42.8% coef if i remember correctly
    +15% would be +6,42%

from 1000 Spell power
    MB gains +428 Damage (42,8)
    With the new talent:
    MB gains +499 Damage (49,22) (a Nerf)

if its additive and its 42,8% + 15% then
    MB gains +578 Damage (57,8) (same)

but this is the same then so it cant be, or i dont understand this change then

WTH ? ???
    you forgot a lot of things here.

old misery added a flat 15% of spell power as damage, thats 150 per 1000 spell damage.

the way I read new misery is a 15% coefficient increase.

This misery damage is now effected by shadow form bonus, darkness bonus, weaving bonus, crit bonus (not sure that the old +15% was crittable as it was added after all modifyers).

if this a pre talent coefficient this makes us better now, and helps our main spells scale better with gear. Great.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by MaritnR
    you forgot a lot of things here.

old misery added a flat 15% of spell power as damage, thats 150 per 1000 spell damage.

the way I read new misery is a 15% coefficient increase.

This misery damage is now effected by shadow form bonus, darkness bonus, weaving bonus, crit bonus (not sure that the old +15% was crittable as it was added after all modifyers).

if this a pre talent coefficient this makes us better now, and helps our main spells scale better with gear. Great.
    that was the answer what i wanted to hear

..but my math ends here ( after 3 hour sleep ), can u please do it ?

Just did a quick test on the PTR and live.
    I had the exact same stats and related talents on both.
    I removed all items with proc effects (Illustration, Sundial, Lightweave).
    I used the level 70 dummy.
    Both tests ended with 117 Mind Flays, 20 Mind Blasts.

Live
    Mind Flay hit: min 1079, avg 1091, max 1102
    Mind Flay crit: min 2158, avg 2180, max 2204
    Mind Blast hit: min 2657, avg 2715, max 2763
    Mind Blast crit: min 5424, avg 5452, max 5479

PTR
    Mind Flay hit: min 981, avg 1092, max 1103
    Mind Flay crit: min 2041, avg 2185, max 2204
    Mind Blast hit: min 2602, avg 2717, max 2762
    Mind Blast crit: min 5496, avg 5496, max 5496

The PTR's Mind Flay min is caused by a change to Mind Flay. It now applies one stack of Shadow Weaving per tick, as opposed to live where it applies two on cast.

Basically, damage is the same. There is a chance I'm at a spot where my gear makes my damage the same, though I can't see that being the case, but I'll try naked in a few minutes. I'll also try after respeccing, incase I'm still benefiting from the old Misery.

Another strange thing on the PTR.. My Mind Flay seems to have an extra 10% crit. No matter how many times I test, I end up with my Mind Flay critting roughly 22% of the time. I have 12% crit. On Live, my Mind Flay crit averages 11%, which it should be. There are no other debuffs on my target.

EDIT: My damage is the same naked. There was no actual change.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by zsuper

Basically, damage is the same. There is a chance I'm at a spot where my gear makes my damage the same, though I can't see that being the case, but I'll try naked in a few minutes. I'll also try after respeccing, incase I'm still benefiting from the old Misery.

It could very well just be a wording change. Wouldn't be the first time they changed the wording of a talent without changing the mechanic behind it.

So, change for the sake of change.

Or a small change now so they don't have to fix a big problem later.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.