Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Which addons are necessary as a holy priest at 80?

Currently I use GRID among other basic addons for frames, bars, etc... but GRID is the only "healer" addon that I have.

I have read about Clique+GRID but I don't know the point of Clique... doesn't it do the same thing if I assign my right mouse button to Renew on my action bar? Is there any other difference?

Also, right now I have to click a player on GRID to activate them, and move my mouse off of GRID to press my right mouse button to cast Renew... for some reason I cannot right click if my mouse is hovering over GRID, this is pretty annoying and wastes time during fights when healing.

I tried doing a /mouseover macro, but couldnt get it to work for mouse clicks, could only get it working if I scroll the mouse wheel up/down, or if I press a number (1,2,3...) while the mouse is hovering over the player in GRID.

Any ideas?

Re: Which addons are necessary as a holy priest at 80?

Clique or Click2Cast allow you exactly that.
    Your clicks are delivered to grid or any other raidframe.
    --
    The cataclysm broke the world ... and the pandas could not fix it!

So Clique will allow me to right click while my mouse hovers over GRID? Weird, I don't understand why it wouldn't in the first place.

You do not need any addons really, I do perfectly well without any. Of course when harder fights will be introduced I will consider getting some, but at the moment just use anything that removes things from your interface, cause less things on the screen = less laggy game.

Besides the click-heal raid interface that you can get from grid+clique (or a plethora of other options), which have already been mentioned, I would say the next most useful add-on is an improved cast bar and timers (quartz has both, xperl has the cast bard, dotimer has the timers, etc.). These are, of course, at least as useful to DPS, but I find them indispensable for healing as well. The improved cast bar estimates lag so it helps with timing my heals whether I'm pre-casting (so I know when to cancel) as well as when I'm spamming on every GCD (so I know when it's safe to cast the next spell without mashing my keys). I find the timers useful because I can keep a close and precise eye on my cooldowns so weaving in PoMs and CoHs when raid healing is much easier to time well.

You do not need any addons really, I do perfectly well without any
    I found my healing became much much better once I started using:

-Xperl (can tell who is taking aggro before damage is done (so i can proactively heal), how much down someone's health is (healer mode), can see what your group is casting)

-Quartz (who doesn't like shaving 0.2 secs or more off a greater heal)

-Thank God (audio & sexy announcement of a Surge of Light proc)

There are more, but these are my top 3.

ps. PoM Tracker is #4

Powerauras for proc notifications. No substitute remotely on par with it.
    Grid or Pitbull for raidframes
    Deadly boss mods or Bigwigs for various raid notifications
    Outfitter or Closetgnome. Not that you will be swapping gear a lot, but...
    Bartender4 to give you more screen real estate for buttons. You will need it.

Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Quote Originally Posted by Danner
    Powerauras for proc notifications. No substitute remotely on par with it.
    I used Dotimers for procs (both shadow / holy), tho I had to edit the anchors for specific procs (sol etc.).

I use xperl when I heal on my priest, but I hear healbot and pitbull is good, never tried them personally though.

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Necessary? None.

Useful? Grid + Clique.
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

I'm hooked on Healbot and as a 2nd option Clique and Grid would be my next choice.

I use a mix of X-perl and Pitbull. With various other addons including :
    Visual Heal
    SmartBuff
    E CastingBar
    M BuffBar
    ClassTimer
    Science started out as a form of Magic.
    When Science is advanced enough Magic is dispelled.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from Magic.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...istract/simple

To help your raid ora2 is a good idea,too.
    --
    The cataclysm broke the world ... and the pandas could not fix it!

useful stuff:

- grid
    - bartender 4
    - deadly boss mode
    - ag_UnitFrames or any unitframe, but this is what i use
    - ClassTimer

essential:
    - max your camera zoom so you can see all that is happening around you (ex firewall)
    - key bind all your heals (unless you mouse bind all with clickz or w.e)
    - 100% mental agility/reaction timing/brain alertness

good luck

GM/Raid Leader of <Air>, Sargeras-US, Alliance
    13/13M Mythic Morning/Day-Time Raiding Guild

Now recruiting for Legion! Apply at air-guild.com

Quote Originally Posted by Xelaeno

essential:
    - max your camera zoom so you can see all that is happening around you (ex firewall)
    - key bind all your heals (unless you mouse bind all with clickz or w.e)
    - 100% mental agility/reaction timing/brain alertness
    we had a priest who applied to our guild with the answer: "i use 2, one for power word shield and one for penance" on the question: what keybinds do you use?
    he got declined instantly

and yes, max camera zoom is somewhat essential, just type this ingame:
    /script SetCVar("cameraDistanceMax",30)
    Quote Originally Posted by cryo85
    Because the X-53 is cooler than the Homo Steed
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium
    [Banned] For trolling.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    =======<()
    BBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    You can't balance vuvuzelas.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

get used to none because most will be banned.
    and if you ever decided to play comp pvp addons are banned as well.

i forgot one more:

NO TUNNEL VISION!

don't look at recount healing meter during fights, if you raid heal and see tank going down fast, don't hang around and say "but that's pally's job", toss a pom or shield. being a good healer means you need to QUICKLY adjust to any change in situation in a fight. see a healer die? don't panic, pick up the slack quickly. always carry a few mana pots in your bag, sure you won't need it but oh crap moments happen.

move your scroll combat text somewhere so it's not in the center of your screen.

GM/Raid Leader of <Air>, Sargeras-US, Alliance
    13/13M Mythic Morning/Day-Time Raiding Guild

Now recruiting for Legion! Apply at air-guild.com

I use clique, 99% of my heals are bound to my mouse with group heal exceptions, they are bound to key. I found the hover over and click method of healing to be fastest for me. If you are starting to learn mouse bindings practice with a few and add to it later, be flexible about your binding so it fits your style of healing the best. Your most used spell should be the most confortable to use.

On my priest I use perfectraid, it gives me everything I need to see in a compact off to the side zone. I also use pom tracker to know what pet has my pom yet again and how much time is left. I don't show pets in raids.

My druid started using Grid, heard about it a lot and tried it out due to the shear number of hots to track. Once you finally get it set up it does work awesome. My only dislike is the screen space it uses, I like things a bit bigger for less eye strain.

Quartz is a nice addon which tracks lag, you can get spells off faster this way, all my toons use this addon and it does help quite a bit with my healing and dps.

My new favorite addon is power auras. I have it set up to show me when my COH or Wild Growth (depending on toon) is available for use etc. I don't need a timer any more. It also tells me when I am low on health and mana. Because I use Miks Scrolling Combat I have a warning for two levels of mana, it helps remind me to do something about as I sometimes forget to look at my bars in heavy fights. The nice thing is it also gives me the option to play a sound on an event I want to track, like freebie spells I might miss in the heat of battle.

There is an addon for almost everything in this game, finding one that suits you is key. I personally find trying to get something to help me over come my own weakness helps alot. Like not looking at my own bars or having to read a bunch of text. Just find the combination that works best.

Grid, Clique, PoMTracker.

As others have said, none are "required". You can do EVERYTHING without addons, but why? They make life *SO* much easier. If I had to widdle it down to "Required for me"... XPerl, Bartender4, Decursive, outfitter & autobar.

- AutoBar - Bar that adjusts automatically and has alot of stuff already
    - Bartender4 - customizable button bars - priests have 500 abilities and the ability to have 1-10 bars... priceless... also
    - Deadly Boss Mods - I prefer it over BigWigs personally.
    - Decursive - easy Dispel/Cure Disease. Do a fight like Heigan where 8 people get diseased - or similar fights - and this addon is a lifesaver.
    - DoTimers/Classtimers/etc - something similar that tracks hots, shields, POM, etc
    - EventAlert - BIG warnings about stuff like Clearcast, Surge of LIght, etc. Never miss a proc again.
    - Outfitter - maybe not needed in 3.1, but gear switcher addon. good if you need to move gear around (Need hit for this, more regen for that, bigger mana pool for that)
    - Quartz - customizable casting bars for you/target/focus
    - XPerl - group/raid frames. Pitbull and others are more powerfull/customizable, but xperl is awesome and simple to use/setup
    - ZOMGBuffs - autocasting of buffs. one button tracking for Fort, DS, Shadow Protection

I never liked grid, healbot. Just couldn't get into em.

The big challenge is the balance of addons vs screen real-estate. Alot of addons are awesome, but to many and badly placed addons can make life harder.

Also... investment in an expanded keyboard (like Logitech G15 with 18 extra buttons) + macro's = win as well. Good mouseover macro's and practice make healing easy.
    [color=blue]This thread has lived beyond its life expectancy. ... It's also met the forum quota for posters insulting the intelligence of their peers to grasp the age-old upper hand in argumentation, I believe officially coined by Plato: "Ur, like, dumb and that's why I'm right." Zarhym