Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are SPs too simple/boring to play or no?

I've posted a similar question in one of the topics a few weeks ago, but never really got touched on.

I was thinking about rolling a Priest alt because they're currently the most sought-after class in the game.

I didn't want to go healing because I get enough of that on my Pally/Shaman, so I was looking at how SPs played.

From what I gather you throw up 3 DoTs (SW:P, VT, DP) than spam Mind flay/seer until mob is dead?

How does a typical spell rotation work on a given boss/trash? (Well on trash you probably just spam Mind Seer)

Do you ever use Mind Blast?
    FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Re: Are SPs too simple/boring to play or no?

Leveling a Spriest myself.

From the little research i have done i found that to calculate their top DPS they look at DoT uptime, and the ammount of MB's you could have cast in a fight.

So yeah, i think you use MB :P

Remember to take all things in moderation (even World of Warcraft!)
    When interacting with other players a little kindness goes a long way!

Overall, the SP dps rotation is probably one of the most complex (relatively of course). Up there with arms warriors and such. Been a while since I played mine, so I could be wrong.

Its important to keep in mind that SPs are now very potent AoEers thanks to mind sear. So if you like rolling dots, AoEing and providing replenishment buffs to the raid, you'll love the SP!

http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t38993-s...st_wws_thread/

I just started reading there.

If i ever get to raid on my Spriest, it's going to be quite diffrent from what i'm used to. (Retri, just push whatever is off cooldown, Judgement prio.)

On my SP there is 3 dots to keep track off(Or 2 i guess, with MF refreshing pain) and moar!

Remember to take all things in moderation (even World of Warcraft!)
    When interacting with other players a little kindness goes a long way!

I wouldnt say its thaat booring/simple. U still need skills to max ur dps.

Thing i like most with sp is that u have really good aoe on big pulls, i enjoy the spells and rotation, and and its a fast lvl/grinding class.

Almost every class now has like 3 things u use, on my hunter its, serpent sting, explosive shot, steady shot and that i would say is more booring then playing sp.

Quote Originally Posted by Sindershock
    I've posted a similar question in one of the topics a few weeks ago, but never really got touched on.

I was thinking about rolling a Priest alt because they're currently the most sought-after class in the game.

I didn't want to go healing because I get enough of that on my Pally/Shaman, so I was looking at how SPs played.

From what I gather you throw up 3 DoTs (SW:P, VT, DP) than spam Mind flay/seer until mob is dead?

How does a typical spell rotation work on a given boss/trash? (Well on trash you probably just spam Mind Seer)

Regarding Mind Blast, it's very nice for the Replenishment Buff, as far as the DPS goes between Mind Blast, and Mind Flay spam, I am uncertain since my highest level Priest is only 61.

When you are AOEing mobs(More than 2) you only worry about Mind Sear. Same mindset as Warlocks with Seed of Corruption, cast it on the main target and spam away.

And it also depends on how much health a mob has, if people are killing too quickly, don't waste your time on more dots than SW:P(for the Mind Flay bonus)

Rotation is only complicated when you are dealing with mobs that last more than 24 seconds(Typically bosses or strong trash), and any encounter with more than 2 mobs you are better off AOEing

It boils down to this, you either suck, or you know how to play your class, or you're doing decent damage within the top 3 of a 10 man or a top 5 in a 25 man. Anything over 2.5k in a 10 man is really good, and 4k in a 25 man.

Playing a shadow priest right in both PvE and PvP requires a high amount of skill if you ask me. Especially PvP-wise right now ;p

There's just so many things you have to look out for all the time, and you constantly need to make decisions on what spell would be best to use next - and when. Shadow is far from spamming one button. In PvP you have so many ways to react to a given situation, because of all the tools we got. It's just awesome and that's the reason why I haven't left my priest behind yet. That, and faith in that the video game gods will make our spec flex once again.

However, coming from a retridin, you might not be able to handle the squishiness and lack of facerolling of a shadow priest. You will get killed a lot. No question about it.

And you won't be able to bubble-hearth those situations.

We currently got the most complex PvE rotations after Affliction Warlocks, and in 3.1 we'll have the most complex rotation due to simplifications of affliction.

So I wouldn't say shadow priest is simple to play. But it's rather easy to learn, and hard to master.

I've always enjoyed playing a spriest because I have found them one of the more difficult classes to play (at least play well). Keeping track of 3 seperate dots that have 3 seperate durations while casting your highest dps nuke with a 5.5sec CD and then attempting to weave in MF inbetween all that isn't what i'd classify as easy.

I think LK has made some of the other classes a lot more complex than they used to be, for example back in BC all locks had to do was cast Curse of Elements (shadow b4 the change) and spam their shadow bolt button over and over and over... So with that in mind I won't declare spriests as having the most complex dps rotation/priority (whatever u wanna call it) but you'd have to concede it's definitely up there.

I also find spriests have great survivability due to VE... if there is an encounter where raid damage is high, VE normally trivialises it for you. I rarely die early in any encounter, even when learning them.

The down side to spriests is their total lack of viability in pvp, and while changes are comming I don't see the viability changing. I feel that the developers of the priest class have got a different view of balance than some of the other class developers. I'd like to see these developers communicate and define balance a bit better.

I know these responses are based on opinion of course, but when everyone says that aff. locks have a more difficult rotation I tend to lol. Just because they have more dots doesn't mean that their rotation or priority is any more difficult...they have 2 sets of dots that are cast at the same time and have the same duration...which is like only having 2 dots with a 3 second cast time; after that their only decision is to shadow bolt or drain soul once the target gets below 25% health...So I would say that is at the very least not more difficult than a spriest rotation.

Personally I'd say that you would be hard pressed to find a spec who's "rotation" requires them to make a decision almost every cycle, and considering our "cycle" is based on a spell with a 5.5 sec cd, we are continually having to think about what to do next.

Regardless of who you think has the most difficult rotation, I would say that the spriest's is far from being simple, and will certainly keep you on your toes .

@Acerra

You're underestimating the difficulty in refreshing Haunt perfectly, avoiding clipping.
    If you don't play Affliction yourself, I think you shouldn't comment on it.

I agree with Nezoia

Its fairly easy to learn but hard to master.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    We currently got the most complex PvE rotations after Affliction Warlocks, and in 3.1 we'll have the most complex rotation due to simplifications of affliction.

So I wouldn't say shadow priest is simple to play. But it's rather easy to learn, and hard to master.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    @Acerra

You're underestimating the difficulty in refreshing Haunt perfectly, avoiding clipping.
    If you don't play Affliction yourself, I think you shouldn't comment on it.
    If you haven't played all of the classes/specs yourself, I think you shouldn't comment on which one is the most difficult to play.

edit: I don't actually believe this. I just found your second comment ironic.

In addition, I don't think that you're giving any weight to the fact that we are a hybrid class. A shadow priest has the ability to see when additional heals might be necessary. Just last week, I saved somebody from a frost blast death on KT that lead to us getting our immortal title. It's pretty rare that I actually get the chance to pop out of shadow form, heal, and actually make a difference, but having that option and choosing to do so takes a lot more skill, in my opinion, than simply dpsing until the boss dies. Sure warlocks take more skill to dps than a shadow priest (not by much though imo), but if you were a shadow priest in tbc, as I'm sure you were, then you know it's not only about dps.

@Nezoia

I prefaced my statement with the fact that this is all based on opinion and then gave my own - both on topic, and a little off topic. Then, you disagreed with my opinion, and rather than stating that in a straight-forward manner you assumed a.)That I have never played a warlock and b.)that because you disagree with my opinion it is of course incorrect. I was giving my opinion based on my experience with both classes, which I assume you are doing as well, though, like you, I have NO IDEA if you have ever played a warlock before. So rather than tell me that I shouldn't voice an opinion concerning a topic with which, for all you know, I may have had ample experience, why not just disagree, state why, and then move on.

if im reading this right, Haunt does only then dmg when it gets applied. So it isnt that bad if u clip it unless u really need the heal from it.

B2T: While playing SP u have to make alot of decision other classed dont have to make. iE.. Using SW over a clipped MF or Clip the MF coz MB is rdy again and so on..

Other Classes may have some sort of proccs which we dont have, but these are easier to handle because u know what do to when procc "a" appears.

Fire oder FFB Mages have to cast an instant pyro when they got the procc , arcane mage -> arcane missiles. Warriors overpower or slam..

I played alot of classes, not to max level but a minimum of 50 lvls and imo, spriest are rly hard to play when it comes to max dps, harder than any other classes.

I play both a spriest (my main) and an affliction lock- and I played both throughout bc as well.
    Personally I find my lock much harder to play in group settings now, she just has so many dots and decisions etc to keep up with.
    I am not saying shadow priests are easy, and I certainly would not say boring, just mine is much easier for me than the lock these days.
    Just my 2 cents worth since the 2 classes/specs in discussion happen to be the 2 I play lol.
    That said however, I spend a whole lot more time on my spriest while my lock hardly goes anywhere other than farming anymore, so maybe "practice makes perfect" applies lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Avidreader
    I play both a spriest (my main) and an affliction lock- and I played both throughout bc as well.
    Personally I find my lock much harder to play in group settings now, she just has so many dots and decisions etc to keep up with.
    I am not saying shadow priests are easy, and I certainly would not say boring, just mine is much easier for me than the lock these days.
    Just my 2 cents worth since the 2 classes/specs in discussion happen to be the 2 I play lol.
    That said however, I spend a whole lot more time on my spriest while my lock hardly goes anywhere other than farming anymore, so maybe "practice makes perfect" applies lol.
    How would you compare the two at achieving a certain dps level. I take it from what you said that you find it harder to max out your lock's dps than your shadow priest's dps. It may be really hard to play a lock and get 7.5k dps, but it may be pretty easy to hit say 6k; whereas, on a shadow priest it's pretty much impossible to hit 6k. What dps are you achieving on both your characters?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Sindershock

I could see it as a pretty fun raid class. At least I know killing mobs is fun as shadow. I've been leveling as shadow and I still enjoy being it.
    However, if you find it boring to raid you always have the challange to pvp as shadow and that is far from easy and you will probably not find it very simple =)

Keeping Dots up isnt hard. The hard part comes when all Dots are up and we have to cast MF/MB and how to priorize these spells.

Warlocks have only Shadowbolt..-> SB -> SB .. recasting Dots....the 3.08 affli lock came near to our complexity but the 3.1 affli lock is a joke :/

Alot of Classes to have Talents which improves their DPS when a Target is below ~35%..Popping there Bloodlust/Hero will improve theirs DPS alot while our dont

Quote Originally Posted by Heriana
    How would you compare the two at achieving a certain dps level. I take it from what you said that you find it harder to max out your lock's dps than your shadow priest's dps. It may be really hard to play a lock and get 7.5k dps, but it may be pretty easy to hit say 6k; whereas, on a shadow priest it's pretty much impossible to hit 6k. What dps are you achieving on both your characters?
    To be honest, the few times I have taken my lock anywhere (in wotlk anyway) I haven't even looked at her dps- was afraid it might be depressing since I felt like I was fumbling trying to keep her dots up, w/o clipping as much as possible, and fitting sbs/ drains between- and keeping her mana up as well w/o lot of downtime tapping- just a headache really. I am sure if I spent any significant time with her it would get better though lol.