Wow Web Stats and the Disc Priest?

My guild uses Wow Web Stats for members to examine after our raids. One column of data it presents is "Effective Heals". Is this really taking any of the mitigation of Divine Aegis or PW: Shield into effect?

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Wow Web Stats and the Disc Priest?

Sadly, no mod or program that has yet been made takes into account damage prevention, such as shields from disc priests or Divine Shield from a paladin.

The downside to this is that people (albeit raelly stupid people) think thatq because a disc priest cannot top a healing meter over a holy pally, holy priest, or resto shammy (and even in some cases resto druids), they must be "inferior".

I do applaud your guild still using WWS, as it's a great internet tool for everyone to see if they need improvements in certain areas or not, but I do hope they are smart enough to know that a discipline's priest job isn't to top a meter.

Oh, and this is coming from both a discipline priest and a GM.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

So I'm guessing then that:

Total Heals - Over heals = Effective Heals

Does it take into consideration the heal you get from the PW:S Glyph?

the only way to get a real idea is to look at the logs, i spend quite a bit of time looking through logs at crucial points in a fight to see what people are doing

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Wraiven
    So I'm guessing then that:

Total Heals - Over heals = Effective Heals

Does it take into consideration the heal you get from the PW:S Glyph?
    That is a direct heal, so yes, it should count that. But I do think Blizzard should make it easier for addons to count how much damage someone has prevented, too, so it'd be easier to compare disc priests with other healers. I personally love disc priests as long as they know how to play their spec and I do hope people will realize how good they really are.

Here is a disc priest's WWS report:
    http://wowwebstats.com/n6o3nd4b5nm3q...5232&a=x58152a
    You'll see that his healing done doesn't include absorbance.

If you want to see the absorbance:
    http://wowwebstats.com/n6o3nd4b5nm3q...232&a=x1da6812
    And click on all types of damage.
    53104 physical
    25696 fire
    7151 shadow

Now you don't know for 100% certainty that it's from the disc priest, but most of it will be from the disc priest. And also other players may have been shielded by the disc priest.

Most players just multiply their Glyph of Power Word: Shield procs by their absorbance of their shield to get an estimated number. Divine Aegis is harder to spot though.

You can always install Disc Recount or the RecountGuessedAbsorbs module.

I've done a write up here, also be sure to take a look at the comments for details on the Absorbs Project.

http://www.talesofapriest.com/2009/0...screcount.html

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Nesco
    Now you don't know for 100% certainty that it's from the disc priest, but most of it will be from the disc priest. And also other players may have been shielded by the disc priest.
    That's why I said Blizzard should make it easier for addons to count the amount of damage absorbed by spells cast by certain players.

Most players just multiply their Glyph of Power Word: Shield procs by their absorbance of their shield to get an estimated number. Divine Aegis is harder to spot though.
    In 3.1 Renewed Hope also buffs the raid or party with a temporary bubble, you just have no way to count how much that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie
    In 3.1 Renewed Hope also buffs the raid or party with a temporary bubble, you just have no way to count how much that helps.
    Renewed Hope
    Well its not a temporary bubble, its just raidwide mitigation. And considering the buff lasts longer than Weakened Soul, I see no reason not to expect this buff up at all times.

I know that after 3.1 that shielding a warrior will be perfectly acceptable. But what about tankadins?

I have a tankadin in my guild that absolutely hates being bubbled b/c he says he goes oom too easily b/c he's being healed less and thus not gaining as much mana back from spiritual attunement. He practically refuses to do 5 mans with disc priests. I'm guessing many other pallys feel the same way?

15+ Year Old Account

I know that after 3.1 that shielding a warrior will be perfectly acceptable. But what about tankadins?

I have a tankadin in my guild that absolutely hates being bubbled b/c he says he goes oom too easily b/c he's being healed less and thus not gaining as much mana back from spiritual attunement. He practically refuses to do 5 mans with disc priests. I'm guessing many other pallys feel the same way?
    You should tell him to stop being a baby and adjust his playstyle. Also last I checked, he should still eb blocking, parrying, or dodging while bubbled so he should get plenty of mana through BoSanc. If he is really having mana issues, which I suspect is not the case at all, tell him to pop on Seal of Wisdom for a pull. Threat shouldn't be an issue at all anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by derevka
    You can always install Disc Recount or the RecountGuessedAbsorbs module.

I've done a write up here, also be sure to take a look at the comments for details on the Absorbs Project.

http://www.talesofapriest.com/2009/0...screcount.html

Wow i didn't know an addon like that was out. I have a holy priest that i like to heal on but I'm going to go disc after patch 3.1, i think ill be downloading this mod now though. We have a disc priest in our raid group and im sure he would like to see this as well. Thanks for the link

Deleted

Bad tank is a bad tank. He COULD still use Divine Plea and Seal of Wisdom if he wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie
    That is a direct heal, so yes, it should count that. But I do think Blizzard should make it easier for addons to count how much damage someone has prevented, too, so it'd be easier to compare disc priests with other healers. I personally love disc priests as long as they know how to play their spec and I do hope people will realize how good they really are.
    Or what Blizz really needs to do is change the WoWlogs to only record %'age of overheal, leaving the actual numbers hidden (see: Threat).

Enough is enough of guilds/people trying to evaluate healer's spots because of where they fall on the list.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Or what Blizz really needs to do is change the WoWlogs to only record %'age of overheal, leaving the actual numbers hidden (see: Threat).

Enough is enough of BAD guilds/people trying to evaluate healer's spots because of where they fall on the list.
    Edited to sound more realistic. Good guilds and good players don't judge healers by numbers. They judge it from how many people are left standing.

I don't top a meter ever, but the guild knows I'm one of the best healers in it, and my MT won't let me spec shadow cuz she has to use more CDs to compensate.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Here is the parse of my healing from our last Patchwerk. This is on WoW Meter Online.

http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat...460#healingout

It calculates bubbles (no idea how correctly) and whether or not it counts as effective healing seems kinda random.
    In this case it was "pure overhealing". But a shield is hardly that. In other fights it doesn't always count as overheal.

Download my UI here: Barretta UI

"Rapture: When your Power Word: Shield is completely absorbed or dispelled you are instantly energized with 2.5% of your total mana, and you have a 100% chance to energize your shielded target with 2% total mana, 8 rage, 16 energy or 32 runic power. This effect can only occur once every 12 sec."

This is to compensate for the damage prevented by PW:S (with a little excess given to help cover some of the DA absorption) and the direct rage/energy it would normally generate for prot warriors / feral druids; also the mana provided indirectly to protadins as result of healing no longer feeding them SA. It's actually a buff to DK tanks, to where you will likely find that disc priests are their preferred healer, since we will provide them more resources (runic power) than other healers.

And as a few other posters have commented, what will also help is your protadins learning how to manage their class.

On a side note, ever notice that no tank ever complains about how, after being beat on by 100 mobs for an hour, their repair bills are less when healed by discipline priests than by others since less of the damage actually hits their gear?

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Also in 3.1 SA is nerfed a bit, and pally tanks other mana return ablities have been buffed.

Quote Originally Posted by openair
    Also in 3.1 SA is nerfed a bit, and pally tanks other mana return ablities have been buffed.
    Wrong. SA becomes a 2 point talent ability deep in the Protection tree. Retribution makes up for this by letting Seal of Blood's glyph give them mana directly (11% of self-damage done by seal/judgement = mana refund)

The only nerf to SA is to Holy Paladins, who get shat on in AoE encounters, as it should be.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~