Analyzing a WWS report

On our most recent Naxx25 clear, I had a guildie that used to do all our WWS reports teach me how to do them (he's been slacking). I've seen a few WWS reports for SPriests analyzed (DoT uptime, number of Mind Flay ticks, number of MBs), but being far from a math major, I don't recall how to analyze it to figure out what I could be doing better. So I'm asking for a bit of help.

Here is the WWS Report. I'm Solerah on there.

And my Armory.

Is there anything I could be doing better? As far as gear goes, I have some swapping around to do, but I can't make about half the raids due to work. I realize I'm a few points over hit cap right now, that will get closer to the magic number once I see some drops (and manage to win them). I don't run a DoT Timer (just big debuffs on X-Perl), and I don't feel like that hurts me too badly, but if I'm pretty low on my DoT uptime, I'll get one. I just feel like I don't have that much upgrading to go to be in the best gear I can, and I'm nowhere near the 5k mark some SPriests talk about.

Re: Analyzing a WWS report

Two ways that will instantly help your dps (looking at patch kill since you don't have to move) is to flask+food buff. By the looks of it you were also missing inner fire for that boss, so total you are missing 300+ spellpower over what you could have. The pure+crit gem in your gloves could also be switched for a spellpower+crit or a pure +spellpower gem. Crit is nice, but not at the expense of other stats.

I'm lucky because since I play alliance I can have a squid which lowers my hitcap. But looking at your base stats, it seems like you are neglecting haste.. Your crit blows mine out of the water and your spellpower is pretty close but our haste rating is over 300 points difference. More haste means more Mindflay between mindblasts. Don't stack it, but also don't avoid it. It could just be that you have all your hit wrapped up in a few items though.. hit seems to take the place of haste or crit on gear, so as you get better drops, you should see haste go up anyway.

For dot uptime, you'll have to look to another because I am terrible at math.

But here is my patch kill:
    http://wowwebstats.com/64vgyiiwhf64k...26a5#abilities

As you can see, our fight lasted about 25 seconds longer or so, so I should have more dots and the like. I had kings and a moonkin. You had an ele shaman, but other than that our buffs were similar (I had flask+food+inner fire as well)

If you don't have it already, I highly suggest a mod like Power Auras. I use it to tell me whenever a dot fell off a boss, or if I am missing an essential buff (like inner fire.. I am terrible at remembering it)

Our presence was similar, but I was able to push 4.5k (I got lucky on trinket procs, which helped)

My armory:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&n=Mennoknight

I ought to have food buff, flask, and inner fire all up for Patch... odd that its not showing up under buffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosshorn
    On our most recent Naxx25 clear, I had a guildie that used to do all our WWS reports teach me how to do them (he's been slacking). I've seen a few WWS reports for SPriests analyzed (DoT uptime, number of Mind Flay ticks, number of MBs), but being far from a math major, I don't recall how to analyze it to figure out what I could be doing better. So I'm asking for a bit of help.

Here is the WWS Report. I'm Solerah on there.

And my Armory.

Is there anything I could be doing better? As far as gear goes, I have some swapping around to do, but I can't make about half the raids due to work. I realize I'm a few points over hit cap right now, that will get closer to the magic number once I see some drops (and manage to win them). I don't run a DoT Timer (just big debuffs on X-Perl), and I don't feel like that hurts me too badly, but if I'm pretty low on my DoT uptime, I'll get one. I just feel like I don't have that much upgrading to go to be in the best gear I can, and I'm nowhere near the 5k mark some SPriests talk about.

Your dot uptime is good.

92% on Vampiric Touch
    91% on Devouring Plague
    97% on SWP - This actually somewhat worries me, do you make sure all debuffs are on the boss and all buffs (including 5/5 shadow weaving) are on you before casting SWP? If not, you need to refresh it during the fight, and either way it leads to a dps loss.

Your mindblast rate is about 89%, which is decent as well.

The main issue that I see is the amount of mind flays you get in.

In a fight that was 40 seconds short, I managed to get in higher dot uptime, and do 10 more mindflay ticks overall.

http://wowwebstats.com/2p6zl65yzxgvi...408&a=x25f0878

Remember - The best and fastest way to lower your dps is to stop casting.

I think the spell rotation aspect to dps has been discussed at nausiam, ie. keeping your dot uptime as close to 95% as possible, getting your average MB cast time as close to 7 seconds as possible and getting in as many MF ticks inbetween. You even seem to have that under control somewhat...

What I did notice was some horrible gear customisation on your armory. Firstly you should probably read the best raid gear thread at www.shadowpriest.com which will introduce you to PP values. In short that is a way to compare what 1 crit rating will give you in comparison to 1 sp... or even 1 crit vs 1 haste, or 1 spirit vs 1 int. As it stands the weights for our dps stats are:

1 hit = 1.16pp
    1 sp = 1pp
    1 crit = 0.62pp
    1 haste = 0.62pp
    1 spirit = 0.22pp
    1 int = 0.2pp

It is a bit more complex than this, for example PP values are only accurate for a specific balance of stats but for now it's probably best to ignore that. What this does tell you is gemming for pure crit ie. 16 crit rating = 16*0.62pp = 9.92pp... so ignoring socket bonuses you can see a 19sp gem is 9pp better. In the case of the pure crit gem in your gloves you gain 6 crit rating as a socket bonus so the 16 crit gem is effectively giving you 22 crit but even with this value you will see that 22 crit * 0.62 = 13.64pp which is still substantially lower than 19sp.

This should get you to really evaluate what gems you should be using... in nearly all circumstances a pure sp gem is going to be better than gemming for the socket bonus. Of course you want to activate your meta so you will need to use some blue gems somewhere and it seems you've used those not too badly. You made a poor gem choice for your chest as well... losing that SP to gain 6 spirit is not worth it... just ignore the socket bonus.

Without analysing all your gem slots you might find a better position to insert blue gems than you have currently chosen. I know that one of the skt bonuses is giving you 6 hit but you're only utilising 1 hit of that bonus because you are 5 over the cap. In some circumstances it can be more effecient to use the Misty Forest Emerald although those situations are rare, but it's something you can investigate with a decent spreadsheet.

Other than that you just need some decent gear upgrades... you should work out a priority list of gear upgrades and work towards it. Find out what you would like to have as your best possible gear set and acquire gear towards that goal.

As far as my gems go, I have a bad habit of picking up socket bonuses, regardless of how good they are. <_< Habit I need to break to min/max.

@ Luthi: I got 5 stacks of SW on the rats nearby right before the pull, so I opened with SW:P -> DP -> VT. I think. I don't recall the order, but it was something like that, I don't recall since I didn't go in my normal order. But how many more Mind Flays you had than I did worries me as well. It's not as if I spent a good portion of the fight standing around, twiddling my thumbs. You have a decent bit more haste than I do, but not nearly enough to account for that... now I'm wondering if I'm somehow clipping ticks of Mind Flay with a disgusting consistency. I'll have to pay more attention to that.