0 / 18 / 53 Retribution Build [PvE, PvP Realm]

Hello, everyone.

I've been having a rough time sorting through some of the Paladin talent changes on the PTR.

First, I think I may need to explain where I'm coming from when I propose this build. In TBC I was definitely what some would call a hardcore raider, putting in many hours a week at ungodly hours of the day. I went from Karazhan to Sunwell as Retribution and haven't looked back. I only mention this so that anyone evaluating this build knows it isn't coming from a FOTM re-roll, but from someone who (I feel) has a very intimate understanding of the Retribution Paladin.

Secondly, my primary focus is PvE Raiding. I don't play to PvP, Battleground or Arena but I do enjoy bouts of World PvP (PvP Realm) where I can find them while farming, doing dailies, et cetera. With those things in mind, I came up with the following build:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...4&version=9757

I feel I might have to explain a couple choices here. The first and most obvious is going down to the fourth Tier in Protection. This is for Improved Devotion Aura. The reasoning here being that we rarely raid with a Protection Paladin, unless I'm asked to respec for a certain encounter or we're short on tanks for what ever reason. That said, the Holy Paladins spec in to Retribution leaving the Protection utility abilities on the Retribution Paladins. I feel that speccing this deep in to Protection and providing the entire Melee team (including the tank(s)) with the increased healing will be a huge help in Ulduar.

I avoided Divine Guardian and Divine Sacrifice with the knowledge that at a conservative average of 25 000 health as DPS, the ability when fully talented would only absorb ~40 000 damage and depending on the raid damage situation would potentially kill me without Divine Shield up.

Now here's the bit that breaks my heart. I've come to love Divine Purpose. Like I said, I enjoy bouts of World PvP and this talent is incredible against Rogues and some other classes, but mostly Rogues. You'd maybe need to know just how much I hate the Rogue class (Pre-3.0 Retribution, Rogues were the bane of my existance) to understand why this was a hard choice, but ultimately I decided on Pursuit of Justice for the increased raid mobility over Divine Purpose.

So overall, I think I've built a solid Retribution build (assuming no further changes to Retribution before 3.1) maximized for PvE Performance with a very capable World PvP undertone.

Advice welcome, constructive comments loved.

Thanks!

Re: 0 / 18 / 53 Retribution Build [PvE, PvP Realm]

didnt clickem but since were putting out talent builds heres my PvE builds

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...0&version=9757

put last point in divine guardian or imp bless of might
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...0&version=9757

dif kind

after i post this il look at your builds and edit this with my comment

well i guess you would need to tweak the build to fit the raid your with

but basicly get

0/5/52-55 and play with the rest of the points alittle to fit your situation
    no im not always gonna put in a lot of thought when i post
    and not all my posts are serious/true

Regarding retribution tree i would spend 2 points on imp.BoM instead of Pursuit of Justice unless any other paladin in raid has imp.BoM.12% loss of AP for all melee classes in raid is something i wouldn't ignore,while i agree that PoJ provides increased mobility in raid.

And for protection tree, i would spend any points on neither Divine Sacrifice nor Divine Guardian,sounds like an instant death considering additional SoM/SoB recoil damage.There are some ppl who spend some points on DS and DG and frankly i would be more than pleased if someone could clarify the reasons.(seeing it as a chance i really wanna know the reasons behind choice of DG and DS without opening a new threat )

I wouldn't spend any points on improved righteous fury for it increases threat by holy spells around 90% (not sure about percentage here). For grinding and pvp it might be useful but for pve i think it's not a good choice. While it's not the best alternative but i would spend my 5 points on Toughness. For i'm the only paladin in my 10 man raid group, improved devoution aura is mandatory for me.

English is not my native language so my apologies in advance.

About the improved devotion aura.
    Resto druids give the same 6% healing aura when they are in tree form if I'm not mistaking, and they don't stack

@whoever mentioned DG: divine guardian is nice because with it you can supply yourself with near 100% uptime of it, and thus cancel out SoB damage. or lower damage on the tank.
    but at your build, you have everything you need to dps assuming you have a war with 5/5 comanding presence or someone else with imp might. But as for PVP vindication, eye for an eye, and divine purpose are better choices than imp RF and imp Dev aura.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Romir
    I wouldn't spend any points on improved righteous fury for it increases threat by holy spells around 90% (not sure about percentage here). For grinding and pvp it might be useful but for pve i think it's not a good choice. While it's not the best alternative but i would spend my 5 points on Toughness. For i'm the only paladin in my 10 man raid group, improved devoution aura is mandatory for me.
    For Imp. RF the 90% Threat is baseline, what isn't baseline is the 2/4/6% damage reduction. Good talent to have but unusable in a raid environement, did tests with my prot warrior friend to boost his aggro through Vigilance and RF, didn't go so well .
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoopie
    this change is to help players like you..... you know..night elf with tyrannical beheader...

Azharok - Dalaran EU

Deleted

There is no need to take Imp Might unless you are running without a DPS warrior.

BoM > BS.

BS requires warrior to keep applying it at cost of rage, rage that could be spent on dps.

We have points galore so for a pure PvE spec, theres no reason to not get imp BoM.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Cant you understand that every single talent exept those that improve your dps are useless? For gods sake we have seen more than 100 threads about the same things.

Any talent inv the HOLY tree is useless. Any talent in Protection tree (exept Divine Strength and ,meh, Divinity) is useless.

The ONLY talent tree that Works out well atm is this

And it sucks too, Why? cos i see a mage spending 71 of his points for boost dmg, threat reduction, mana cost reduction, aoe skills, damage over time, Vunerability to a school of magic and stuff like that, that are usefull, Same with rogues, locks, shadowpriest, warriors, Deathknights, Druids ETC

The paladin's tree that gives you every single benefit it can is this

If you see, i have included every single dps boost talent in there and i still have 14 fuckin points to spend!! Have you seen many tree's with 14 free talent points to spend and they dont have where to use them? And especialy, have you seen many other classes (for example Warriors) picking DPS talents and some of the Protection talents just in case they wanna tank? Or shadowpriests picking healing talents in case they might be needed to heal?

15+ Year Old Account

Yes the talents are useless. Yes, we shouldn't be left with 14 talent talents to spend. Unless we had a talent where for X seconds, our AP is increased is by a percentage of healing done... something that ENCOURAGES us to pick up Healing talents. For the time being, I see this as an alright spec, mainly picking up DG for solo and 5 man purposes.... otherwise I'm going to wait for last-minute changes to the class.