Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Going Tanking in 3.1

Yhar, especially with the BoSanc change, youre definately gonna want scent for blood, it will be one of your larger threat generators.

Also agree with not getting glyph of disease - if you think about it logically youre giving up a HS/IT/PS in favor of 1 death strike and 1 gcd (remember pestilance no longer deals any dmg), and you can only even use that spare gcd for a death coil... AND you also need to keep IT in your rotation if you use the EoH def sigil.

But as for Subversion, it there was some calculations done in the Fireside chat that showed that subversion was about 30% or so better than Sudden doom point for point, even with morbidity and Glyph of Dark Death, so i figure personally ill drop all 3 of those and get Subversion, and glpyh Vamp Blood/RS/DS... alot of ppl underestimate the rune strike glyph, assuming RS is 40% of your threat and a 20% crit rate (buffed), then the glyph is something like 3.4% of your total threat.

And MoM is a big factor to the added threat on crits, i cant see ever dropping it - it affects all your rune strikes.

I MT for my guild as a DK and i can tell you right now, there are 4 things that you have to remember as a tank (and DK tank). I am sure there are more but i got 4 that are always on my mind.

1. TPS aka arggo or tanking. As a tank, you will need to tank, i know sounds like i am full of shit but, were you put your D&D matters what Mob you are hitting (or not hitting) matters. Why b/c trash matters and adds do too. In trash you have 4-5 healers healing you and only you no need to DS every time, for 1 it only hits one target, 2 you are being spam healed, and C DS needs LoS, BB dose not so you can hit every mob. The DPS will not wait for you, nor will the trash, you need to get arggo asap DS will not cut it on trash or adds. Pestilence, for the DK's that don't know this skills is like a free bag of your fav. chips. 1. if there are more DK, it ups there dps( how much you could say 500-800dps) no lie, if there is a shadow prist, it moves around there DP, and in the patch will reset it on the main target, and other DK's will have there FF and BP reset on the mind target, with your pestilence. This will set up DS like no other witch on a boss fight, will help heals, TPS, DPS (raid wide).

2 You are a DPS, don't forget that. I see recount, i do over 2.5k dps as a tank, i know it is not 4k or 5k but as a tank that is huge. On trash, i can be up around 3.5k(trash don't matter?) right this moves the raid, this gets you to the boss for more loot(or wipes). If DPS dies, if a healer goes down, you make up that with your dps, the boss dies faster so less heals are needed, or less dps is needed to make the timer. the thing about DRM, should answer this here and now, get it, why for dps. It can proc SD for more dps, you will not need to DS every time. You are a tank, you will be getting healed, if you take a big hit pop off a few DS, then get back to DPSing. If it happens that 2 DS do more DPS then 4 HS, then so be it DS your heart out, but remember you need to Pestilence, (if you are not going to pick this glyph up for what ever reason) then you will need to reset your DoTs. This is a big deal, for TPS and DPS, as a tank shit happens all the time you have to move use a CD this Fs up your button spam, not that big of a deal if you are just tanking, but you are dps too. Haven the DRM will give you lots of O-shit runes to work with, pop off a BB to get a few adds, or pestilence. Hit VB and not stop DPSing. Also you might have to dump all your Runic power, this means that your DS will not have the same kick as it did just a few sec before, but HS a few times to get the RP back up then let one rip. You could say i only have to tank and stick to your guns, but then when the epic 2h drops, don't even put your name in the hat, b/c you are not going to use it, just hold on to it.

3.Winning. This means, not haven to worry about luck. Don't make a tank for crit, when you can pick up static damage. DO NOT Glyph for a chance to happen, a what if, a if then, or a spray and pray. I am not saying to not saying that you will not crit, but do not build your DK as a tank around a skill that you will not get on your gear, that you will not gem, and you will only do 20% of the time. Why get doge or parry, is what someone will say, that will be on your gear, so boost it up, and you will be doing that 50-70% of the time. You are a tank, if you lose they all lose, so do what you can to win, you don't need to make a homer, or a slam dunk, to block a punt, i get it that is what they show on ESPN, but they also show that the QB was not sacked or the running game got a avg of -2yd each carry. This is what wins games 90% of the time, so if you need a 10% chance let the OT do it, let the casters pull it off, you just do your job, give the boss only a 10% chance to win. Let it all fall on the dps, if they kill it you win if they don't then get some new dps.

What i was trying to say is you don't need DRW, you don't have to hit your RD b/c you are full on RP if you are saving it for AMS or IBF and RS.

4. Solo, not even going to talk about this b/c in the patch you can duel spec, but it use to matter did you pick up a move just for soling or for raiding remember that in your build, you can get all raid points now, you don't have to mix and match for both soling tanking (farming or pvp) and raiding. Help your team out the best you can, build around them other 24 people, then have a build for your self, this should help you pick up what you might have passed up. Things like Hysteria, Imp Icy Talons, AM zone, Mark of blood, unholy blight, endless winter, Glyph of Disease, rune tap and D&D.

On that note, my build for 3.1, am a frost build now.
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...6&version=9757

If you want to know why i picked what i picked for any DK tanks that need a hand or just want to know i will be back form time to time. Feel free to cut it up or frame it lol i got an A on it and my teacher gave me a gold star. Is up to you what bus i take to and form school.
    Do everything you can to win and don't bitch if you lose, b/c good luck or skill a kills a kill. Only the one who lives gets to tell the till.

I'm curious as to the reasoning people aren't putting points in Rune Tap. With the change in Blade Barrier and Lichborne it would seem that our mitigation is reduced slightly, not to mention diminishing returns...

For Blood tanks, wouldn't it make sense to invest points in Rune Tap now more than ever? Especially if you points in Mark of Blood, since that's like an 11k+ heal for emergencies. True you're constantly being healed in raids, but there are times where I've been on the fringe of dying....As much as I trust my healers, I enjoy helping them a little.

Quote Originally Posted by tranq717
    I'm curious as to the reasoning people aren't putting points in Rune Tap. With the change in Blade Barrier and Lichborne it would seem that our mitigation is reduced slightly, not to mention diminishing returns...

For Blood tanks, wouldn't it make sense to invest points in Rune Tap now more than ever? Especially if you points in Mark of Blood, since that's like an 11k+ heal for emergencies. True you're constantly being healed in raids, but there are times where I've been on the fringe of dying....As much as I trust my healers, I enjoy helping them a little.

I put some time in to this my self, the mark of blood heals everyone the boss hits even with aoe, for one point that is huge healing help. but Rune Tap like you said it is a 11k heal, on avg you get hit for about the same, and with some magic attacks like 18-20k some times, that is a good time to use it right, right after a big hit. This is all well and good to help the heals out, but after then see the words for big magic hit, they have big heals coming, or after your life drops to half or lower for what ever reason, i do not hit Rune Tap, i hit IBF so the next hit is for less, then i pop off a trink to stop damage to give my healers the time needed to top me off, or i try and stop the damage with AMS so i don't even need to be healed. Using a GCD to get back 11k, witch is only one hit is not worth the use of IBF or VB when IBF is on CD.

You going to pop it on trash? lol why on trash you have spam heals form more then one healer and there is more then one tank so you will never be hit so much you are going to die, before the trash starts to die and you take less and less damage. If you have to pop a CD it would be IBF so that way when it is gone there is less trash to kill you.

Out of range of heals? or LOS. How, if you are ever out of range then or los then you did not go over the fight with your team before hand and you can't move the boss to the heals, they have to come to you. This might by you the time you need to get ready but this is bad if every time for some reason you have to use this just to start a fight.

Self heal is to give you a edge in a fight, this for a tank doss not give you any edge over any boss in the game, i say that b/c you can't use it stuned, or in a ice block or even picked up in VOA. That is when you need to use it and you can't. I could be wrong, about it in uldar, when you get healed for more, but also getting hit for the same more.
    Do everything you can to win and don't bitch if you lose, b/c good luck or skill a kills a kill. Only the one who lives gets to tell the till.

I guess most (if not all) of you are not aware that Glyph of IBF is a must for any tank spec aswell as the Vamp / bone / unbreakable.
    IBF was tested and result was that it adds a flat 10% damage reduction with or without defence! So if you have 35% dmg reduction with IBF in tank gear then the glyph will make it 45%!

So now that you know, that would only leave 1 Major Glyph.. I guess most of you will reconsider their builds now.

Quote Originally Posted by badrsadiq
    I guess most (if not all) of you are not aware that Glyph of IBF is a must for any tank spec aswell as the Vamp / bone / unbreakable.
    IBF was tested and result was that it adds a flat 10% damage reduction with or without defence! So if you have 35% dmg reduction with IBF in tank gear then the glyph will make it 45%!

So now that you know, that would only leave 1 Major Glyph.. I guess most of you will reconsider their builds now.
    Good to know.
    When you shoop da whoop, you feel powerful and don't want to lose it, and then a guy in plate armor comes and turns your woop against the shoop, hence, making you got laz0red.

Guild No Quarter - www.nqguild.org

Quote Originally Posted by badrsadiq

U have a source for that? everything ive read on EJ has disagreed with that - Saying that it has no effect if you have defense gear and is now purely a pvp glyph

Quote Originally Posted by illbanu
    U have a source for that? everything ive read on EJ has disagreed with that - Saying that it has no effect if you have defense gear and is now purely a pvp glyph
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=48028.0