Thread: Post Your UI

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frantik View Post
    When you say you get "lost" when you try make a minimal UI, I totally understand that feeling. I think if you go out and try to deliberately make a UI that is minimal and nothing else, you're gonna have a bad time. When I was making my own UI, which in my opinion is pretty minimalist, I know that my goal wasn't to make it minimalist. My goal was to make a functional UI that showed me only the information I needed to see in a nice, readable format. The minimalism just sort of came after that. I would worry more about layout and what raw information is being shown first, then worry about making it "minimalist". I'd much rather have a UI that gave me exactly what I needed than one that gave me too little or even too much.
    That's what I mean by minimalism. Only show what I need. I just get lost trying to put what I need to see and know into ui elements if that makes sense, which is why I can never get any UIs I create to look good together.

Here is mine. Looking ideas to improve my raid frames. The stars in the bottom of my screen are just decorations indicating starfall. I the timer below my eclipse bar is for starfall which I look most of the time.

Minimalist is more a style than an actual way of making UIs - i've done the same thing, my UI has been done with the goal of leaving the most space possible free on the screen, while keeping enough information and functionality to be useful.

There are some graphical UI and compilation around that are really really ood and beautiful, bu they just simply don' fit my style Hell, TukUI to me is not enough minimal (while i's a really awesome work, i couldn't get to that level even in years).
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Did some more modifications. Replaced the WeakAuras player frames with SuF, Recount with Skada, Prat with Chatter, DBM with BigWigs, removed the optional addons, moved th map to lower right corner, normalized font. Overall I'm pretty happy with how it looks. Only thing not visible here is the cast bar (between player frames and action bars, my main is a mage.)

Here's what my final setup looks like :

Still not allowed to post links
    Last edited by mmocba105e19de; 2013-01-15 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by galook View Post
    No, I mean getting rid of everything on screen to where there's absolutely nothing to see period in combat or not. Writing from scratch I guess then.
    Best bet is to just do 1 thing at a time, some of the "veteran" ui authors can knock the main framework up pretty quick.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what I mean by minimalism. Only show what I need. I just get lost trying to put what I need to see and know into ui elements if that makes sense, which is why I can never get any UIs I create to look good together.
    Well, Cowt says he likes sketching his UIs out. I've never tried this before, but what I'd do is make a few lists of addons. One for stuff that are essential, stuff that you absolutely need. Then another list for stuff that you'd like to have, but isn't crucial to the overall function of the UI. Start by downloading the addons from the first list only, and configuring them one at a time. If you get completely overwhelmed by this, I would personally say start with the unit frames. IMO they are probably one of, if not the single most important element in a UI. You can also get a good idea of where everything else should go from there. I personally like to keep everything central, so I'll have my procs/cooldowns etc next to my unit frames along with any class addons like runes, swing timers etc. It should really just fall into place where things should go. If not, alt-z and take a screenshot of WoW without anything on the screen. Throw it into paint and start drawing out where, roughly, things should go. I personally like to just get straight in and screw around with stuff in game. UI development is a long process of refinement, and shouldn't be something that happens in the course of a few hours. Many of Care's, Led's UIs etc have been in some form of development ever since WotLK as from what I remember. My own has been in development since early Cataclysm. If you aren't sure about where you want stuff on you screen, look at more screenshots for inspiration or just screw around with it in game!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thing is I have a work in progress ui back and my main raiding ui backup. Only problem is every time I swap I have to resetup my actionbars, etc for some reason which kinda discourages me from experimenting. Can't really go into a new raid fight as a tank without a functioning ui lol.

Thing is I have a work in progress ui back and my main raiding ui backup. Only problem is every time I swap I have to resetup my actionbars, etc for some reason which kinda discourages me from experimenting. Can't really go into a new raid fight as a tank without a functioning ui lol.
    You could just copy your entire World of Warcraft folder and use it to mess around with addons.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowt View Post
    I like sketching my larger UI projects by hand before I start, but maybe that's just me.

Otherwise; yes. Literary remove everything on your screen, and add back each element by element.

You'd strike more consistency by also adding a 1-pixel border to your Damage Meter, and fixing a proper border to your Minimap. (The current seem awfully blurry. Probably due to poor scaling).

Also pull up your Eclipse Bar so that it's aligned halfway between the Starsurge icon and Celestial Alignment.

And there's over-lapping text on your Boss frame.
    Any suggestions on the map/meter? map is due to scaling I think.
    Boss frame has been fixed
    Eclipse bar has been fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Any suggestions on the map/meter? map is due to scaling I think.
    Boss frame has been fixed
    Eclipse bar has been fixed
    Avoid using any "scale" options when sizing anything. Adjust size of things with width and height setting instead. When you use "scale" you can run into problems of missing borders and things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by bOOURNS View Post
    Avoid using any "scale" options when sizing anything. Adjust size of things with width and height setting instead. When you use "scale" you can run into problems of missing borders and things like that.
    Using the inbuilt border settings on skada, can't get it to set the border around the bars, its just going underneath them. Inset settings in LUA to fix it?
    The map, I've been tinkering with it but cant get it 100%
    Last edited by Drayarr; 2013-01-15 at 11:10 PM.

Using the inbuilt border settings on skada, can't get it to set the border around the bars, its just going underneath them. Inset settings in LUA to fix it?
    The map, I've been tinkering with it but cant get it 100%
    This is my code to add 1px borders to Skada bars. Starting at Skada\BarDisplay.lua:259
    Code:
    				-- Initialization of bars.
    				bar = mod:CreateBar(win, barid, barlabel, data.value, win.metadata.maxvalue or 1, data.icon, false)
    				bar.id = data.id
    --- insert this ---
    				if not bar.bg then
    					local frame = CreateFrame("Frame", nil, bar)
    					frame:ClearAllPoints()
    					frame:SetPoint("TOPLEFT", bar, "TOPLEFT", -1, 1)
    					frame:SetPoint("BOTTOMRIGHT", bar, "BOTTOMRIGHT", 1, -1)
    					frame:SetBackdrop({
    						edgeFile = [=[Interface\ChatFrame\ChatFrameBackground]=], edgeSize = 1,
    						bgFile = [=[Interface\ChatFrame\ChatFrameBackground]=],
    						insets = {left = 1, right = 1, top = 1, bottom = 1}})
    					frame:SetFrameLevel(bar:GetFrameLevel())
    					frame:SetBackdropColor(0, 0, 0, .3)
    					frame:SetBackdropBorderColor(0, 0, 0)
    					bar.bg = frame
    				end
    --- end ---
    Edit: If you'd also like to reduce some of the text clutter on your Skada bars, the percentage of damage dealt is rarely ever useful and can be disabled in in-game options (of course it's 100% up to you if you like to show that or not). And the dps number can be formatted to show 124.8k instead of 124839.3, by encasing the dps text output in Skada\Damage.lua:219 in the following function:
    Code:
    			d.valuetext = Skada:FormatValueText(
    											Skada:FormatNumber(player.damage), self.metadata.columns.Damage,
    											Skada:FormatNumber(dps), self.metadata.columns.DPS,
    											string.format("%02.1f%%", player.damage / set.damage * 100), self.metadata.columns.Percent
    										)
    Last edited by Khadjid; 2013-01-16 at 01:36 AM.

Its been a while since I have posted. This is my current UI. The borders are class colored. The only thing missing is my Skada DPS/Threat meter which mirrors the chat box on the right side (same size box). I must have closed it for some reason.

There! Got rid of omen and made another skada window covering my threat. Have anyone gotten SetShadowOffset to work in skada?

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    However, I'm not so fussed on the visible bars, 3 seems a bit much, so used to your UI's not having any bars.
    Change alpha in/out of combat? :P
    I don't like the faders to be honest. Three is too many bars for me. I usually play with 1 or 2 depending on my class. I only had all of them visible to show where they were ^^.

Quote Originally Posted by saami View Post
    There! Got rid of omen and made another skada window covering my threat. Have anyone gotten SetShadowOffset to work in skada?
    Show us a screenshot!

Deleted
    Guys I'm dying to be able to use a thin outline for the text on my unit frames on ElvUI, the default 'OUTLINE' setting is far too thick for my liking and I can't seem to find anyway to edit the thickness of this. Anyone got any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Cark View Post
    Guys I'm dying to be able to use a thin outline for the text on my unit frames on ElvUI, the default 'OUTLINE' setting is far too thick for my liking and I can't seem to find anyway to edit the thickness of this. Anyone got any ideas?
    Is there a difference between outline and thinoutline? If I'm wrong and there is. Then i think you would have to edit lua to do that and change instances of "OUTLINE" to "THINOUTLINE".

I've done many similar changes for addons that do not have a working monochrome setting. (Normal Monochrome crashes wow on every addon it seems) So I've changed many times via lua to "THINOUTLINEMONOCHROME".

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Trying again to get a nice looking, yet functional UI. I don't think it looks very good at all.

Anyone know how I could get a dynamic weakauras group above the actionbars to where I could have it swap depending on what skills I'd want to use? Say if Shuffle is about to fall off have it display Blackout Kick if I have 2 chi, etc. Or else display the skill on the left side has they come off cooldown and all that. If I could get something like that made in weakauras I could probably hide my actionbars finally.

And I still have no idea what to do with the minimap, it's just so fugly up there.

OOC and Casting:

http://i.minus.com/ibbmsdjMaVOrBf.jpg

ElvUI Anchors:

http://i.minus.com/i8iNHUQf1DJ3F.jpg

WeakAuras:

http://i.minus.com/i8NnvGk5txbg7.jpg

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd change the texture on your Omen bars to match the rest of your UI. Also, if you're comfortable with your keybinds you could hide them for a cleaner look.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to hide the keybinds for sure. I just like having them there just in case lol.