Thread: Shadow Affinity

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Shadow Affinity

Is it worth taking since shadowform lowers threat by 30%?

Re: Shadow Affinity

No.

Deleted

I would overthreat with mind sear and Boss DPS if i didnt take it...

no

GM/Raid Leader of <Air>, Sargeras-US, Alliance
    13/13M Mythic Morning/Day-Time Raiding Guild

Now recruiting for Legion! Apply at air-guild.com

The only reason you would pull boss aggro is if your tank generated very very poor threat. It can be an issue for Malygos due to the dps buffs and the fact your dots tick during vortex when 0 threat is being generated by the tank.

However if you're raid is smart, and you use vigilence, hand of salv and all the other tools people have but forget to use, you can manage just fine. So i wouldn't waste any points in shadow affinity.

I tried it out tonight. I'd say 3/3 Shadow Affinity, and 2/2 Improved VE beats Spirit Tap and Imp. Spirit Tap :-)

We don't need the mana, but we definitively need the healing, and the aggro reduction on bosses like Razorscale and XT-002.

As that patch has been getting closer, I've been a little concerned about losing that good feeling I got with 3/3 Shadow Affinity in my pre 3.1 build.

Since I've worked about 30 hours since the patch came out, I haven't had much time to be online, but I was seriously considering trying to squeeze at least 2 points to put into Shadow Affinity somehow. My thoughts were either dropping Imp Spirit Tap, or Imp Shadow Form (blasphemy?).

I'm probably going to use my Dual Spec to go with two Shadow raid specs this week. I'm looking at the obvious max-dps spec, but I'll probably bring a back up low-threat spec in case it turns out that I'm really pushing threat.

For PVE if you are dropping Improved Spirit Tap then there is not any point in taking regular Spirit Tap, honestly. You will not be getting many killing blows during a boss fight.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

pop fade before every mind sear and u would never pull ever again
    Quote Originally Posted by forumfail
    The ensuing debate is so exciting and necessary that I can't stop punching myself in the dick
    Quote Originally Posted by burek View Post
    i'd expect the US average to be something obese
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Irdaq/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    I tried it out tonight. I'd say 3/3 Shadow Affinity, and 2/2 Improved VE beats Spirit Tap and Imp. Spirit Tap :-)

We don't need the mana, but we definitively need the healing, and the aggro reduction on bosses like Razorscale and XT-002.
    Just curious, but if mana isn't an issue, wouldn't you be better off dropping something like Focused Mind instead of IST, since that is ONLY mana and IST does affect DPS? Similarly, if you have a Holy Paladin, how much good is Improved Shadow Form. I would imagine you'd get higher DPS keeping IST and dropping FM and ISF if you really want SA and IVE.

Mana is a issue, but not as much as before. IST generates less mana than Focus Mind, and the mana reduction on Mind Sear is a absolute must for XT-002.

Do yourself a favour and check excactly how much extra spellpower you get from IST. And think of it being worth 2 points.

I think not.

If tank sucks sure.

Most of the boss are tauntable now.
    For example at Maly, our MT always taunts on landing and I use fade just before landing.
    I use imp VE insteat of shadow afinity

If your tank cant hold threat against a shadow priest, they are BAD.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Strykie

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Mana is a issue, but not as much as before. IST generates less mana than Focus Mind, and the mana reduction on Mind Sear is a absolute must for XT-002.

Do yourself a favour and check excactly how much extra spellpower you get from IST. And think of it being worth 2 points.

I think not.
    Mana Reduction is not a must for Deconstructor. There are no threat issues on Razorscale (done both so far on 10 and 25m). There's plenty of adds that you procc spirit tap off of at Deconstructor, there is absolutely no need for Focused Mind or Shadow Affinity. Killed everything up to Hodir atm, I haven't been close to pulling aggro. On threat reset at council, hit fade and you're safe.

I've done 8/14 Ulduar 25man and never had any mana issues with 1/3 Focused Mind..

And there a some fight where Spirit tab proccs due of adds & aE (Kologarn, thorim, Auriaya, Freya and so on)

Well, it's not worth discussing about bad tanks. Because it's not bad tanks, it's because I don't even want to be close.

If you're hitting fade, you're loosing more mana than you'll gain a entire fight from IST.

So basicly you just said u have wasted 3 points in SA, cuz you dont like being close to the tanks threat, sry but you really are mr. terribad

Quote Originally Posted by lolface
    So basicly you just said u have wasted 3 points in SA, cuz you dont like being close to the tanks threat, sry but you really are mr. terribad
    Good tanks go for avoidance over threat on Progression. That's not bad tanks. He's already said that.

Obvious troll is obvious.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~