Affliction in PvP [3.1] Does it Work?

Hay there. I just wondering if any 1 have tried to pvp as Haunt/SL in 3.1. How did it work out? Is the fearnerf to big or is still playable? I am lvl 75 atm but as it looks now its going to be Destru for me...
    There is a big difference between arena and bgs so if its not working in bgs it may work in arenas anyway

Re: Affliction in PvP [3.1] Does it Work?

im going with this spec

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warl...0&version=9767

all i can say is THAT IT FREAKIN ROCKS!
    corr and UA can each crit 3k every tick, i see crits everywhere!

i have no idea how this will work out in arena as u cant insta resummon a pet, but i guess time will tell

Sounds nice...but how is the 1vs1 situations? Like vs a rogue or dk? Since fear is nerfed it i think it will be pretty hard to survive. But if the dots critts 2,5k we will have some unexpected burst here and there :>

15+ Year Old Account

Yeah, thats the same spec I was gunna roll with, especially with the Conflag nerf. I don't think I'd put my 2 points in health funnel though - I'd go with a bigger healthstone. In BG's with any luck your dots will heal your pet due to Fel Synergy and in Arena you aren't going to have time to heal your pet because if someone wants to kill your pet, they will and health funnel wont stop them. If they see you casting it they will switch to you and rip your face off.

IMO nothing in arena will work without FelDom and Master Summoner. Why give up 25% mitigation if your pet dies (and it will, sometimes due to SL damage alone) for 6% mitigation?

I haven't tried Haunt/SL in 3.1 yet because I play with a rogue and destruction seems very viable (even post conflag nerf). I played Haunt/SL with a Rogue last season in the 2k bracket, and I must say, that with the current state of fear, 1v1 or with a healer as a partner you'll probably never ever kill a pillar humping healer. It would become a chess match that comes down to a perfectly timed pair of Shadow Trances, Silence, and Deathcoil. I had a number of these fights 1v1 even with the pre-nerfed fear.

Haunt/SL may still be viable as double dps by fearing one and pressuring the other, and people will make it work. But IMO destruction is looking to workout better for that playstyle. With nerfed fear, it seems like Healer/Haunt builds are going to get eaten alive by almost any opponent with a competent healer. CC would have to be flawless by both the warlock and the healer. We won't really find out until the arenas reopen though. /-:

However, that spec probably would be fun in BGs where you can get a new pet by running into the closest mass of the opposite faction to die (or hellfiring, whichever you prefer).

That's my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotter
    Yeah, thats the same spec I was gunna roll with, especially with the Conflag nerf. I don't think I'd put my 2 points in health funnel though - I'd go with a bigger healthstone. In BG's with any luck your dots will heal your pet due to Fel Synergy and in Arena you aren't going to have time to heal your pet because if someone wants to kill your pet, they will and health funnel wont stop them. If they see you casting it they will switch to you and rip your face off.
    I'm not sure having the 6% damage mitigation from the Destruction tree is worth losing Demon Aegis and the instant pet ability. If a team can kill two of my pets, me and the rest of my team then not only am I doing something wrong but so is my team. I would keep the standard 54/17/0 build though I've not tried it out. However I found that there were so many Fear immunities or breaks pre-3.1 that I don't think this will make a terribly large difference.

What Conflagrate nerf? I've not seen anything on the PTR or live. Also I was a sworn Affliction Warlock but I have to say that Destruction is fun and awesome! =D

Quote Originally Posted by ksem
    IMO nothing in arena will work without FelDom and Master Summoner. Why give up 25% mitigation if your pet dies (and it will, sometimes due to SL damage alone) for 6% mitigation?

I haven't tried Haunt/SL in 3.1 yet because I play with a rogue and destruction seems very viable (even post conflag nerf). I played Haunt/SL with a Rogue last season in the 2k bracket, and I must say, that with the current state of fear, 1v1 or with a healer as a partner you'll probably never ever kill a pillar humping healer.
    Again what is this nerf?

"We are hotfixing Conflagrate to do 70% of Immolate's total periodic damage instantly (down from 100%). The tooltip may still say 100%, so we didn't want this to feel like a stealth nerf."

It was hotfixed already. Blue post is on the main page.

It still hits pretty hard, even with the nerf. It just doesnt have massive 11k crits on pvp geared opponents. More like 7 to 9, which is reasonable. In warsong i was still getting 8 to 10k conflag and chaos bolt crits.

I just wish we got dispell protection on immolate since every spell we use except chaos bolt relies on it. Priests are so damn hard to kill alone as destruction. Since UA and Immolate are mutually exclusive now, why don't they make immolate immune (or at least 75% protected) to dispel and have no damaging/silencing effect (doesnt protect other dots).

We're the only class where 75% of our damage can be removed with one button with no protection.

EDIT: Added Blue Quote

Quote Originally Posted by fettsnål
    Sounds nice...but how is the 1vs1 situations? Like vs a rogue or dk? Since fear is nerfed it i think it will be pretty hard to survive. But if the dots critts 2,5k we will have some unexpected burst here and there :>
    DoTs are ticking so much we (I) force them on defensive. throw in some timed fears (dont forget to fake cast) and ur dominating them.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotter
    I had a feeling that could happen but you cant know yet cuz the season hasnt started, improved health funnel can really save your pet is what i can say from experience.

O dear... i guess Destru is the way to go then. Got a rlm8 who got a mage so we will do some 2v2

I know that the fear nerf could be critical for some of the basic tactics of affliction, but my question is : the Glyph of Fear, the one that give fear an extra 20% of damage tolerance before breaking, can give us the effect of the pre-nerfed fear ???

did somebody has already test this?.

Quote Originally Posted by Rehkiem
    I know that the fear nerf could be critical for some of the basic tactics of affliction, but my question is : the Glyph of Fear, the one that give fear an extra 20% of damage tolerance before breaking, can give us the effect of the pre-nerfed fear ???

did somebody has already test this?.

This is a good question. I'd like to see someone try it out. The only thing affliction locks had going for them was the ability to dot everyone up and fear everyone and just do as much damage as possible. I dont know what affliction locks are supposed to do now. I still think warlocks just need alot of work in general for pvp STILL

I have tested Haunt/SL in bg. Many players are 79 and have savagegear. I am 75 with no resi at all and i have to say that our survivability is not that bad... dots on the feared target works for about max 5 sec but it is actually the time u need to run away or refresh the dots. My dots are critting insane and well i am looking forward to arena and some 80 pvp and when i get like 800 resi. Affliction PvP looks not that bad (IMO) :P BUT arena and bgs are two diffierent things!

aff has never become a solo pvp / duel spec specially against dks rogues ferals since wotlk.Go demo for duels aff is like an arena spec in a team with a healer
    I Dont Read the signature rules

As good as desto is, tried it in multiple skirmishes and anything that can cleanse my immolate just stop all my damage...

Im probably just going to play 3s and do shadowplay if i do arenas this season.

criting dots are much more helpfull specially against rogues but if you could cast them.Curruption and agony is insta already but when you tried to cast haunt and ua you will witness unlimited number of interruptions , high resi wont save your ass if you can survive you do good dmg and kill them in a few dots.
    I Dont Read the signature rules

I have tested Haunt/SL in bg. Many players are 79 and have savagegear. I am 75 with no resi at all and i have to say that our survivability is not that bad... dots on the feared target works for about max 5 sec but it is actually the time u need to run away or refresh the dots. My dots are critting insane and well i am looking forward to arena and some 80 pvp and when i get like 800 resi. Affliction PvP looks not that bad (IMO) :P BUT arena and bgs are two diffierent things!
    Thankyou, I'm glad your mitigation is insane against non-pvp specced rogues duel wielding green quest daggers and that your dots own people in virtually 0 resillience. Let me know when you have more updates.
    Hide behind a little Bloodelf Paladin?!? Ridiculous! Make way for the Beef of Light! I will shield you, little ones, and should I fall, remember that I taste amazing with Mustard.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkis2001
    I'm not sure having the 6% damage mitigation from the Destruction tree is worth losing Demon Aegis and the instant pet ability. If a team can kill two of my pets, me and the rest of my team then not only am I doing something wrong but so is my team. I would keep the standard 54/17/0 build though I've not tried it out. However I found that there were so many Fear immunities or breaks pre-3.1 that I don't think this will make a terribly large difference.

What Conflagrate nerf? I've not seen anything on the PTR or live. Also I was a sworn Affliction Warlock but I have to say that Destruction is fun and awesome! =D
    Long ago before it was the latest cool thing I was a drain tank. Next came the time it was the spec of the cool kids and I was just like everyone else in the crowd. WLK rolls into town and I once again became a lone wolf because I almost never used fear. Well, never used it like all the others. I have developed my 4 1/2 years of warlock gameplay around not depending on fear. What made me not rely on fear was that I used to play an UD lock and there were so many UD players to duel against, fear was almost useless.

However, I did notice that I was using fear way more often towards the end of 3.0. So luckily, this fear nerf may...I say MAY not impact me as much as some others.

I am going to go play around with what I call the modified SL/SL and see what happens. I think fear is just going to be a long cast spell interrupt which is pretty much all I used it for in the past. Don't forget about instant Howl of Terror, that is a nice "OH SHIT GET OFF ME!" when some rogue jacks you in the back. Give you a half second break and some breathing room for Exhaustion...I know, I know...he will have other ways to break that too but I seriously think we can do this. It is just going to take a lot of dueling with some quality players who actually share information and strategies with you.

Affliction 4 Life ...