Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Discipline PWS spam

So yes, we're fantastic single target healers... but in 25-man the other night, with a couple of pallies along to fulfill that role, I found a niche where disc can really provide its own flavor of unique value to contribute to raid survival, in emergency control for raid heals.

If there is a constant barrrage of incoming raid damage (i.e., air phase of Razorscale), spamming PWS works beautifully. Going out every GCD, it absorbs the next 6-8k damage that might be following too closely behind the initial hit that warranted your attention, heals for 1-2.5k, letting that CoH, LB, or other heal that you know is on its way still do its job.

Yes we could spam out a FH, but if the other healers are on their game they're likely to have a heal going anyway, and the combined effect of the shield and that heal seems to yield a greater survival chance.

I started doing this on our 3rd attempt on razorscale (where we downed him), being sure to keep a PoM bouncing, and we only lost one dps in the fight. I didn't throw shields out on those not damaged as it seemed to serve better as a reactive response for that purpose - though there was seldom any time someone wasn't in need of attention. Despite nearly constant spamming of it (switching to single-target heals on the tanks during ground phases) I never even remotely started to hurt for mana.

Has anyone else found themselves doing this, or any thoughts on this?

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Re: Discipline PWS spam

I myself have unfortunately not had the chance to do ulduar , but i have done a number of heroics and where i did somthng very similar during constant aoes and such, nvr hurt for mana.

I'm raiding with casual guild and we're doing mosty 25man content. Raiding also as Disc priest, have done that since got to lvl80.

Yep, noticed the same thing while on our Razorscale attemps, 15% best this far. In air phase I also spam shield in almost every gcd. Looked my recount after fight and got supprised. I casted nearly 150 shields in that fight and my best healing spell was PW:S glyph Don't have mana problems while casting shields and it seems pretty good raid healing tool this moment. Haven't got to those real MT healing fights so can't say about MT healing. The only thing that worries me little is that PW:S and Divine aegis still doesn't show in recount. Don't know about other meter adds. After our 4h raid I was about 2m behind our "best" healer. Luckily got nice guild officers who understand why I'm so low on meters.

Grace with the recent change needs some adjusting to healing now that it cannot be aplied to more than one player at the same time. I don't think that's a big problem. You can tossa some heals to OT's / raid and get full stack of Grace with penance when you get back to MT healing.

15+ Year Old Account

I found this great on razorscale too, especially with the haste proc trinket, but once we got to kolgarn and mimiron the mana usage becomes alot heavier and the damage output grows alot so i couldnt keep up with the damage just shielding. I want my OP rapture back.

I have also tested this in Ulduar. When the tank is topped up w/ a PW:S and DA stacks, I toss PW:S on everyone in the raid. With BT, they go up crazy fast and prevents pretty much any one hit raid damage ability (eg- razorscale).

I highly endorse this idea.

Also, I found IF+DH have crazy synergy. For this alone, it is worth the 1pt in IF. The +crit chance applies to all instances of the DH heal, and of course makes the heal free. 18-20k in Disco (20-22K in Holy) crit heals every 2sec on three targets? Yes, please. Makes healing Tantrum easy mode.

Quote Originally Posted by kzargroth
    The only thing that worries me little is that PW:S and Divine aegis still doesn't show in recount. Don't know about other meter adds. After our 4h raid I was about 2m behind our "best" healer. Luckily got nice guild officers who understand why I'm so low on meters.
    Glad to hear your officers have a brain. Healing effectively means preventing your team from dying, not necessarily showing the most on a meter.

If you're wondering just how much you're doing though, look at your mana regained from rapture for that fight -- the amount restored is based on how often your shield is FULLY eaten away. You can get a pretty good estimate of just how much your shields 'healed' as full absorbs. Even discounting all the partial absorbs, you may find that your contribution to handling the damage sent towards the raid actually put you above all, if not most of the other healers.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

PW:S spammage could be the next way of AoE healing..of some sort.

Considering you get 2.5% of your mana back from Rapture if the shield "Brokes", and assuming you have 25'000 mana raidbuffed, every time one of your shields works as intended absorbing its full capability, you regain 500 mana.

Basically, if your shield absorbs all the damage it can, it's a free PW:S.

15+ Year Old Account

Basically, if your shield absorbs all the damage it can, it's a free PW:S.
    Every 12 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos-
    Every 12 seconds.
    This. It's not just your target that gets the 12 second cooldown on mana/rage/energy/Runic Power, because they have weakened soul preventing it. Rapture's cooldown is designed around the priest.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

i gain around 100 mana per successfully absorbed PWS, still mana reg is lower now than before, which is good in one way.

if timed correctly on XT-002 i can gain around 1.5-2k mana during his aoe ability

(depends on how many ppl i can reach)

Blizz got Disc right in PVE this patch. Whole build is built around PWS which they want Disc Priests to do in fights.

When i frist went into ulduar i brought my priest in and I went disc, and when i noticed the new talent removes the CD the first think i thought was "they want us to spam shields" and thats exactly what i did, the mana conservation was nice too, i thought i would run out of mana fast but far from it. The spam shield thing really works and is nice at keeping people alive.

15+ Year Old Account

You're saying that a Discipline Priest in Ulduar heroic can spam Power Word: Shield on everyone without going OOM and having a huge effect on keeping people alive?

Quote Originally Posted by iLive
    You're saying that a Discipline Priest in Ulduar heroic can spam Power Word: Shield on everyone without going OOM and having a huge effect on keeping people alive?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    This. It's not just your target that gets the 12 second cooldown on mana/rage/energy/Runic Power, because they have weakened soul preventing it. Rapture's cooldown is designed around the priest.
    I actually had an issue with it.
    On Ulduar10 man, during an offday, I respecced Disc and went in, we were at Ignis, and right before the first Flame Jet I shielded all the raid, and I was at 19k/23k mana.
    Flame Jets erupted, all of the shields on Grid got cancelled instantly by the damage, and I regained ALL of my mana.
    That was around 4k mana, considering I had 8 shields up during jets, and 23k mana, 2.5% of my mana returned back on shield broke should have been 575mana X 8, wich is actually 4.5k mana, about the mana I got back.

Is it just a bug with Rapture giving all the mana back because all the shields broke at the same time, I smoke too much weed, or is this working as intended?

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Izenhart

Is it just a bug with Rapture giving all the mana back because all the shields broke at the same time, I smoke too much weed, or is this working as intended?
    I beleive it may be a bug with rapture, i had this also during a phase 2 mimiron when a few people were standing too close and the talent seemed to have reverted back to the way it was pre-patch restoring mana from each shield.

Yes if all the PW:S break at the same exact time, it will proc rapture multiple times.

"Time is immeasurable, we can only see the perceptible effects of it. Maybe now you'll understand why I have no time."

Deleted

My RL is a disc priest and he is spamming PW:S. I'm a holy priest and it's really useful to have someone making raid absorb damage.

In Ulduar, raid damage is massive. Almost every encounter requires good raid healers. Currrently we are dealing with Mimiron p4. Still have to work a lil bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Izenhart
    Yes.
    I actually had an issue with it.
    On Ulduar10 man, during an offday, I respecced Disc and went in, we were at Ignis, and right before the first Flame Jet I shielded all the raid, and I was at 19k/23k mana.
    Flame Jets erupted, all of the shields on Grid got cancelled instantly by the damage, and I regained ALL of my mana.
    That was around 4k mana, considering I had 8 shields up during jets, and 23k mana, 2.5% of my mana returned back on shield broke should have been 575mana X 8, wich is actually 4.5k mana, about the mana I got back.

It's workign as intended, rupture gives back 2.5% of your maximum mana per shield when they are fully absorbed, its the 2nd effect of rupture that only triggers once every 12 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrion
    YOu cant spam something that gives a penalty....
    you can spam it on 25 people.... then repeat.
    It's just a game.

A Disco priest doing nothing but spamming shields on 25 people is about the most asinine thing I can think of. When I made my 1st post on this thread, I said I was useful to throw up some shields when your tank is topped off to help with random inc raid damage.

The ONLY time I could possibly see this being effective is before known massive raid damage that can be clocked. Even then, it would take over 25seconds for a disco priest to put up 25 shields before a massive raid wide AoE. That is folly.

Its even more silly when you think of raid comp. Bringing a Disco priest just to spam shields on everyone in a 25man means you are leaving out a holy priest, resto druid, resto shaman, or DPS to accomplish such tomfoolery. There is no way that PW:S spam will remotely be more effective in killing a boss than either of the 3 healers mentioned or an extra DPS for a faster kill.

That being said, if there *IS* know raid wide AoE on a timer, it could be beneficial for your MT healing Disco priest to switch roles with a raid healer for the max 30sec necessary to pop shields up on the raid. Then, once finished, go back to MT healing.

But bringing one for the sole purpose of spamming shields? No.