New to Ret, need assisstance

Hello,

My main spec up till 3.1 (dual spec) was holy, i am now trying to gear up as Ret and have 2 questions.

1) is Hit cap 8% or 9%?

2) What is a Glancing Blow and how can i reduce the number of times this occurs? Does Expertise reduce this occurrence, and if so what is the Expertise cap?

Thanks in advance

Re: New to Ret, need assisstance

glancing blow is when your off hit cap this occurs the cap 8%

Melee hit cap is 8% (Against bosses, level 83).
    You cannot eliminate glancing blows, there's nothing to reduce them currently in-game.
    Expertise cap against bosses is 26.

This will provide a lot of useful information as well:
    http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t53532-3...paladin_thread

15+ Year Old Account

glancing blow = a hit that doesn't hit corectly or something like that, it does reduced damage and 25% of every melee white hit is a glancing blow.
    glancing blow reduces damage caused by 10/20/30% acording to the target ure attacking, lvl 71/72/boss.

Weapon skill greater than the normal max for your level (i.e. your level * 5) does not reduce the chance for a glancing blow to land.
    Prior to 2.0.1, extra weapon skill did reduce the severity of the damage reduction, but this is no longer the case.
    Glancing blows do not occur against players, only against mobs. At present ranged attacks do not result in glancing blows.

in classic wow u could eliminate glancing blow by wearing gear that gave skill rating to a weapon
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

As a suggestion, if you have a Ret friend in mid level gear (either very good 10 man or very few 226 25 man) then I'd recommend using them in any Sims you run, if you're running it as an off spec its much easier to work towards a goal than constantly have to re-sim your gear and suddenly it all changes
    Other than that I'd just say have a read through the EJ thread linked above and enjoy your numbers

Thanks for the help guys!