Enchanting or Tailoring?

I'm trying to decide what I want my second profession to be on my, atm, 47 priest. I know I want to do JC as I have never done it before and it seems fun, but I cant decide between tailoring or enchanting. I know enchanting is great because of the exclusive ring enchants. However, it seems like tailoring would be great as, if I leveled it up by when I hit 80, I would start out with some decent epics. What do you guys think?

Re: Enchanting or Tailoring?

Both of my priests are tailoring/enchanting and i've been thinking of dropping the tailoring since everything is BOE now. I haven't switched to the new cloak thread to see if it is worth it over the haste.

Being a bag lady has made me mad bank though.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Tailoring has been underwhelming for quite sometime. However, the new changes to Lightweave have made it a better dps buff than enchanting. Enchanting is probably more useful to your guild and a bigger money maker though. Just depends how you value professions.

Quote Originally Posted by Segomo
    I'm trying to decide what I want my second profession to be on my, atm, 47 priest. I know I want to do JC as I have never done it before and it seems fun,
    Neither enchanting nor tailoring meshes well with JC. How are you going to level JC? Buy all the mats off the AH?

Having made that point.

Tailoring is easier to level than enchanting. End game tailoring enables you to do a couple pretty nice "enchants" to cloaks and legs, and you can make decent gold from selling your cloth transmutes and bags.

Enchanting is a pain in the ass to level (made easier with being able to enchant scrolls and sell them) but still requires the need to destroy green, blue, purple items. End game enchanting doesn't give you much aside from ring enchants.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillbro
    End game enchanting doesn't give you much aside from ring enchants.
    38 Spellpower total.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

For pure min/maxing... Tailoring provides a bigger boost to both healing and shadow PvE through the darkglow and lightweave cloak embroidery.

There isnt single better regen "enchant" than darkglow (besides the meta gem).

Lightweave has a 50% chance on spell cast to proc 250SP for 15sec, with a 45sec internal cooldown. At its best (proc every 45sec) its an additional 83.3 SP. Given horrible luck (proc every 60sec), 62.5 SP. This blows enchanting out of the water.

I would go JC/Tailoring.

Deleted

Will you pvp?
    I experienced it very good to be able to make decent pvp starter gear when I turned 80. Frostsavage is quite good, not for arena but for bgs and you will need to run some of those to get the better gear.

I recently dropped maxed out enchanting with all WOTLK recipes for Tailoring (Lightweave Embroidery). Definitely noticed a DPS increase after raiding Ulduar last night so it was worth trading off +38 SP (two +19 on rings) for +250 SP over 15 seconds (30 sec cooldown).

Enchanting is so common (everyone on my friends list has it) so I know I'm not gonna miss it.

Bouth are good. I have Tailoring and like it alot, the new back enchant is very nice (finealy!) and I can enchant my pants for free (2.4g) when I need 30 more stam for some bosses in Ulduar, then go back to 20 spirit if I want to

Whatever you like best, tho Tailoring will not make you any money (depending on server ofc.) It will save you some money, but there is almost nothing you can sell for profit...

15+ Year Old Account

I have to agree with SpiritusVex. If you want to maximize your character then JC/Tailoring are the clear winners, no matter what spec.

If you want money then pick something like JC/Inscription (or get an alt with Mining/Herbalism or some such), but in my experience money is hardly an issue these days.

Quote Originally Posted by K21Nova
    It's completely and utterly irrelevant whether you farm ore yourself, or buy the ore from the AH. The value of the ore is always the same, whether you bought it, or farmed it.

Let's say a stack of ore costs 20 gold.

You farm 20 ore. You now have 20 gold worth of ore. You spend this to level JC. You've just spent 20 gold worth of ore to level your JC, ore which you could have sold in the AH and made 20 gold.

You buy 20 ore. You spend this to level your JC. You've just spent 20 gold worth of ore to level your JC, 20 gold which you could have saved if you never bought the ore in the first place.

Either way, 20 gold spent.

Whether you farm the ore or buy it makes no difference. You always end up spending the same valued amount of materials. If you don't happen to have mining on any of your characters, then instead of spending time mining for that 20 ore you can spend time making the 20 gold some other way.

People seem to have this misconception that if they farm materials themselves, then the end product is free. It's never free. The materials always have value.
    The only way this would hold true is if the supply was infinite and price static.

You can't make this type of argument any say "lets say the product cost X amount."

Quote Originally Posted by K21Nova
    It's completely and utterly irrelevant whether you farm ore yourself, or buy the ore from the AH. The value of the ore is always the same, whether you bought it, or farmed it.

Let's say a stack of ore costs 20 gold.

You farm 20 ore. You now have 20 gold worth of ore. You spend this to level JC. You've just spent 20 gold worth of ore to level your JC, ore which you could have sold in the AH and made 20 gold.

You buy 20 ore. You spend this to level your JC. You've just spent 20 gold worth of ore to level your JC, 20 gold which you could have saved if you never bought the ore in the first place.

Either way, 20 gold spent.

Whether you farm the ore or buy it makes no difference. You always end up spending the same valued amount of materials. If you don't happen to have mining on any of your characters, then instead of spending time mining for that 20 ore you can spend time making the 20 gold some other way.

People seem to have this misconception that if they farm materials themselves, then the end product is free. It's never free. The materials always have value.
    You are missing the point that you can get ore by leveling, without extra time spent. So if you buy the ore for 20, you have to spend time doing something else, sell it for 20, to spend the 20 on the ore. BUT if you mine while questing (since he is only 47) you are picking it up as you go.

Gathering prefessions are the only ones that you can make money as you go through the normal course of questing. That is why I always pick up skinning until I am near end game. Sometimes I will go skinning/herbing, then worry about leveling up proessions near end game
    "Peace is a lie"