Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Any thoughts on my pvp shadow spec?

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...6&version=9806

only thing im thinking that may be a problem is running oom. any thoughts?

Re: Any thoughts on my pvp shadow spec?

If you are worried about running OOM, you could take two points out of Improved Devouring Plague and put them into Shadow Affinity. You will still have the damage on the first application of DP to break people from drinking, and would get mana return from having your DoTs dispelled.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

wouldn't overlapping silent resolve and the shadow affinity be inadvisable tho since u wouldnt be making the most of the shadow affinity mana returns? i was expecting to catch heat for not having 3/3 misery honestly

It's bad spec. 1/3 Misery and no Meditation, you took pws..

whats wrong wit pws

Most people would take the ability to regenerate mana over 15% extra damage absorbed. Unless you are going very deep into Disc, it usually isn't worth three talent points to get a little extra damage absorbed, especially in longer fights where mana conservation becomes an issue/
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

good point but i mostly do bg's and 2v2 but also 3v3 on occasion. in bg's i think the immediate urgency of surviving a fight outweighs mana regen since i can drink after, have a 3 min. sf and disperse, and i tend to spend all my marks on mana pots. in 2v2 i will prolly run a double dps team so our fights should be relatively quick win or lose. in 3v3 i plan to have 2 dps with a resto drood who could always throw an innervate. given these situations do u think the mana regen, although admittedly very good, outweighs that extra oomph on the front end when it all hits the fan?

im going to assume from the lack of reasonable feedback that i have the best spec possible! thanks ;D

in bg's i think the immediate urgency of surviving a fight outweighs mana regen since i can drink after, have a 3 min. sf and disperse, and i tend to spend all my marks on mana pots.
    Erm, if you are using your Shadowfiend and Dispersion for mana regeneration, then I think you are pretty much beyond help, good luck though.

i made duelist on my 2v2 in s4 so not really. i dont use those for regen out of combat if thats what u mean anyway

You lack 3/3 Misery. You lost your dps power just there.

You lack Meditation. Even if fight is 45 seconds, if it's intensive you will still run OOM. Fiend can be snared and dealt with, it doesn't always have to return mana.

PWS is an awful choice, 3 talent points to absorb what, 500 damage more?

5/5 Mind Blast. In arena game, you will rarely be able to cast mind blast as it is, you don't need to max it out, those points can be spent somewhere else.

These are the things that I see wrong. On the other hand, if you say it works for you - well then, why ask anything about it? You got duelist in s4, good luck on your way to the gladiator title and I hope everything works out for you.

15+ Year Old Account

This is what I use for my PVP spec. Shadow Focus over Affinity because 3% hit is awesome in pvp and 6% less manacost for all shadow spells is still better than the 200 or 300 mana you will be getting if swp or vt get dispelled IMHO, and is also useful against teams not capable of dispelling them.

Not having Imp. Mana burn rather hurts, but manaburn got nerfed kinda hard and against say a holy paladin I can't win the manawar anyway. 10% less instant cost is VERY helpful because instant is what I cast most of the time.

For the third glyph I'm torn between SWD, Fade and SWP.

Edit: To the above poster - I disagree with not skilling mind blast. We lack burst as it is. So everything that gives us more helps. Mindblast is our most damaging spell. And also the one with the fastest casting time of all our non-instant spells. What are you gonna use do burst someone down? Mindflay just screams interrupt me. Dots aren't really controllable burst and shadowfiend has 3 min cd. Mindblast is a good spell, and a thousand times harder to interrupt than mindflay.

I could somehow see spending 2 points from Imp. mindblast in imp. manaburn but nothing less.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

i hate spriests speccing for manaburn. y go into a dps tree if ur not gonna dps?

Quote Originally Posted by Caladian
    i hate spriests speccing for manaburn. y go into a dps tree if ur not gonna dps?
    Mana Burn does do damage. Not much, but it's also amazing utility, which can help clinch a match.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

And again, a comment from one who has never played shadow, let alone arena...

@AetherMcLoud

i like most of what you took, but the lack of any pain and suffering confuses me

that and i still think 5 points for 2 and a half extra seconds is... redic in a pvp build, also, look at imp fort again, thats 4% more stam for you, i have not seen if thats before or after buffs, either way, it to me is better than 1 sec less CD
    Rejoice, For very bad things are about to happen...

Has anyone thought or talked about http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...6&version=9806

Picking up 10% extra spell warding and desperate prayer??

Just a thought a lil different then most pvp specs

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud

This is what I use for my PVP spec. Shadow Focus over Affinity because 3% hit is awesome in pvp and 6% less manacost for all shadow spells is still better than the 200 or 300 mana you will be getting if swp or vt get dispelled IMHO, and is also useful against teams not capable of dispelling them.

Not having Imp. Mana burn rather hurts, but manaburn got nerfed kinda hard and against say a holy paladin I can't win the manawar anyway. 10% less instant cost is VERY helpful because instant is what I cast most of the time.

For the third glyph I'm torn between SWD, Fade and SWP.

Edit: To the above poster - I disagree with not skilling mind blast. We lack burst as it is. So everything that gives us more helps. Mindblast is our most damaging spell. And also the one with the fastest casting time of all our non-instant spells. What are you gonna use do burst someone down? Mindflay just screams interrupt me. Dots aren't really controllable burst and shadowfiend has 3 min cd. Mindblast is a good spell, and a thousand times harder to interrupt than mindflay.

I could somehow see spending 2 points from Imp. mindblast in imp. manaburn but nothing less.
    I would recommend getting 3/3 Pain and Suffering, it helps very much vs a mage with mage armor, shadow word pain will last 9 seconds, if you refresh it, it goes to full duration (18 seconds).

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Rymezz
    I would recommend getting 3/3 Pain and Suffering, it helps very much vs a mage with mage armor, shadow word pain will last 9 seconds, if you refresh it, it goes to full duration (18 seconds).
    How does mage armor make debuffs have only half duration?
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

....read the tooltip.

edit: Actually, here:

Increases your resistance to all magic by 40 and allows 50% of your mana regeneration to continue while casting. In addition, the duration of all harmful Magic effects used against you is reduced by 50%. Only one type of Armor spell can be active on the Mage at any time. Lasts 30 min.