Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I need help dpsing! Please!

I don't know WHAT the hell they did to my spec in 3.1 but I am finding it extermely diffacult to even do 3500 DPS on a target dummy... Usually the best I can do is 2600 or so.

A TARGET DUMMY...

Here is my armory...

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

My rotation and priority is pretty standard.

VT - DP - Mind Blast / Death - 1 Mind Flay (Shadow Weaving now at 5) - SW: Pain - Keep VT / DP up, Mind Blast whenever it's ready.

Please. I've tried everything. I used to do an average of 3600 or so on a target dummy, but now I can barely push out 2600.

HELP

P.S.

I know i'm five points short of being hit capped. Being hit capped doesn't make a difference, i've found. I have the gear on me that can make me hit capped easily, IT DOES NOT HELP.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone

Re: I need help dpsing! Please!

Please. I've tried everything. I used to do an average of 3600 or so on a target dummy
    No you didn't.

Post a WWS log from a raid, talking about target dummy dps just shows you got zero clue about the higher meaning of DPSing in PvE.

Oh and, 4p T7 is bad, mkay? Unless it's because nobody given you any better loot yet

You got like 400 less spell power and 300 haste less than me (without Inner Fire), so you could try get some better gear. But I doubt your rotation is a problem, more your understanding of PvE and target dummies.

Thanks for the sloppy answer and insults. Does anyone want to try and help me?

at least post your armory so i can compare.

ok,

whatever mod you we're using to get your dps before 3.1 is crap.. at best in 3.0.9 2800 (i was able to break about 2650) dps on the test dummies. and now in 3.1 i can barely break 3k (spiking about 3100) depending on crittng of dots.

drop sw:d from rotation unless it procs your racial (i think)

EDIT:
    Hahaha, no, I failed! /fail nevermind!

You need help to understand the practice of how much damage you actually *can* do with your gear, without buffs.

You don't need help with your rotation.

(http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...hwing&n=Nezoia , add Torch of Holy Fire, and Accursed Spine )

MB-MFx2-(dots) Then keep dots up MB > MF, dont break MF to cast dots or MB and MB > VT.

Just work on your rotation, your DPS should be at 3k unbuffed on a target dummy over 3 minutes.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Strykie

Quote Originally Posted by rhiannan
    drop sw:d from rotation unless it procs your racial (i think)
    Since a target-dummy test usually is very short, getting lucky with SW crits can make the damage meter numbers seem higher.

It's of course, not useful at all in any real PvE situation. People should stop caring about target dummy dps, it's not like you don't end up using AoE or multi dotting on all bosses in Ulduar.

Quote Originally Posted by Strykzor
    MB-MFx2-(dots) Then keep dots up MB > MF, dont break MF to cast dots or MB and MB > VT.

Just work on your rotation, your DPS should be at 3k unbuffed on a target dummy over 3 minutes.
    /shoo terrible troll. http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t52579-s..._per_cooldown/

I dare you to go post your ridiculous ideas and opinions on Elitist Jerks. If you ain't banned there already.

Quote Originally Posted by Strykzor

it sometimes takes about 2-3 minutes for dps on test dummies to max out. i see a lot better dps at about the 3-5 minute range

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia

I dare you to go post your ridiculous ideas and opinions on Elitist Jerks. If you ain't banned there already.
    ouch... that thread gave me a headache. i may go read it at a later date =p

oh and to direshadow get some haste at minimum you wanna be around 250-260 haste. i'm cureently at 235 (but that's only because i change my cloak enchant to lightweave)

I only use SW in my opening rotation because it's quick, it has a chance to proc spirit tap, and it gets another shadow weaving up.

In the end, the only difference I can really see in terms of numbers is haste, which is what i've suspected for a while now.

I have carried over my reliance of crit into 3.1 it appears, and with raid buffs I won't need to worry so much about it.

I think it really comes down to me getting more haste.

The only problem is, i'm constantly playing a balancing act of keeping myself hit capped.

Banned? lol, why on earth would i read elites jerks, im already a jerk and i know my rotation works, maybe with the changes to the amount of SWeaving i get from MF i could change my rotation, but i haven't logged on my priest for a week now, so i cant exactly test anything else out.
    It would probably be.
    VT-MB-MF-DP-SWP and then into priority system of MB,MF,VT.

Quote Originally Posted by rhiannan
    it sometimes takes about 2-3 minutes for dps on test dummies to max out. i see a lot better dps at about the 3-5 minute range
    The longer you go, the more time you get to recover from the GCD to put your SWP up.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Strykie

As Nezoia touched apon... target dummy dps is meaningless... target dummies are good to practice on but the dps figure isn't the data you should be looking at. Instead you should be checking to see your average time to cast MB, DOT uptime and MF ticks per sec. Basically you want to be casting MB as close to every 7 seconds as possible, dots need to be up 95% of the time or another guide is to ensure your VT & DP ticks are close to your SW:P ticks. Lastly you want to fit in as many MF ticks as possible, i'm unsure what the best possible figure is, but i'm at about 1 tick every 1.5 to 1.6 seconds.

The reason target dummy dps is worth nothing is:

a) Blizzard dont balance the game by comparing unbuffed dps among classes. Therefore the raw dps figure is going to vary among all classes.

b) Raw dps figures are generally badly corrupted when the duration of the sample is small. You're goign to go oom in about 3 mins, maybe slightly longer if you fiend. A lot of Ulduar encounters are easily > 5mins if not approaching 10mins.

c) With a small sample size it's highly corruptable to crits and procs, the larger the sample the closer the trend will be to the true dps figure.

d) A lot of people train on the non heroic dummys which doesnt include the spell damage mitigation, required hit etc... so it's hard to tell if people are comparing apples with apples.

And it's also been pointed out that Ulduar encounters in particular rarely give you the opportunity to stand and deliver like u can on a target dummy. What this suggests is the target dummy environment doesn't mirror a proper raid (even remotely). You will need to move out of fire, you will get buffs u need to take advantage of, you will need to cast some defensive spells at time to stay alive etc etc etc. Just for example Stam has some form of dps effect due to the fact you do more damage alive than dead. You might be able to do 5K dps on a target dummy but only have 10K stam so you end up dying in every real encounter (numbers are obviously off the top of my head but you get the point).

In summary, use target dummies to pratice and test your max theoretical dps rotation but don't go quoting numbers like they somehow translate into the real dps figures you'd experience in a raid.

For the record, I believe the highest dps rotation is MB > VT > DP > MF (of course assuming 5 stacks of SW and SWP already on the target). The reason for this is that delaying MB to cast a dot results in more of a dps loss than delaying the dot, even though the dot does more damage for the GCD.

The other slight benefit is by casting MB before VT in particular you will break a recurring conflict where MB comes off CD every single time u want to refresh VT. This occurs due to VT lasting 15sec and 2 MB cycles + a bit of lag = close to 15sec. It was something I noticed occuring quite a bit and by making that change in the priority I have noticed a considerable increase in DPS due to my MB casts averaging close to 7.2sec in an ideal dps environment.

15+ Year Old Account

Since a target-dummy test usually is very short, getting lucky with SW crits can make the damage meter numbers seem higher.

It's of course, not useful at all in any real PvE situation.
    SW is useful in any situation where you have to move for at least 1 GCD and have devouring plague on cooldown. Which is quite often in Ulduar.

Just sayin'. I never use SW in any rotation, but when I have to move I use it. *shrugs*
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

I agree that SW has it's uses and I have argued that fact many times in posts. I tend to use it less and less these days but while on the move or attempting to get more use of berserking (I play a troll) it can be quite useful. It's also good for kicking on PoM if you know it's going to stay on you for awhile etc...

Obvious prick is obvious
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)

I'm honestly frightened by what is taking place on the BlizzCon forum.

Quote Originally Posted by NNozemm
    Obvious troll is obvious, go read it and compare to who he replied and /shoo
    ye or..

ORRRR

He put it diffrently.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)

I'm honestly frightened by what is taking place on the BlizzCon forum.