Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account

Tier 8 DPS set 4 pieces bonus

I remember at some point, after several players had raised the issue that most of the tier bonuses for shadowpriest had been utter crap (except tier6 4-pieces), that some blue posted that the tier 8 4-pieces bonus would be awesome.

Anyone got that quote somewhere??

As far as I can understand, that 4-pieces bonus is once again utter crap and pretty much useless, unless you could magically found enough haste to fit 3 gcd between 2 mind blasts.

Why couldn't we get 250 spell power for 4 seconds instead?

Has anyone raised that issue on the DD US forum to get some answers?

Most classes always seem to get a bonus that actually translates directly into dps. Here I am sitting on 10% SWD crit and less mana on mind blast... Mana... What a slap in the face!

I don't know who decides the set bonuses, but when I look at something like the warlock bonus with 300 spirit, that actually seems to fit very nicely with the talents and translate into spellpower. It is very elegant, and really shows that whoever created those set bonuses really understood the mechanics of that class.

How come we get something that not only doesn't help us in any ways, but shows that whoever made those bonuses doesn't understand the shadowpriest rotation and abilities.

What's going to be next? 3 more seconds on SWP again now that it is automatically refreshed??

Re: Tier 8 DPS set 4 pieces bonus

http://www.shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=16992

Stop whining, it's a awesome set bonus.

The 4 piece set bonus for Holy is pretty useless, too. Holy would never be using PW:S as much as Discipline.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    http://www.shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=16992

Stop whining, it's a awesome set bonus.
    Thanks for the link saying:

"When looking at gear (check out several of the posts here on shadowpriest.com as they have answered all of your questions) you want to (as of now before 3.1) go for spell power, crit or haste as they have an equal value. Once you hit a certain "soft cap" of haste just to go for crit, as you can get 2 mind flays between a mind blast."

You would need 60% haste to fit 3 mind flays.. otherwise, haste is pretty much a wasted stat.

Care to explain then how your 250 haste rating bonus for 4 seconds is so awesome??

Because it gives you an extra Mind Flay tick?
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

4pc is okay,
    Eventually, if you are in a good enough guild you will have perfectly itemized gear from hard modes and 25 man Ulduar which will beat it.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Strykie

The thing about hard-modes is it's more OTHER pieces of armor/weapons they bring, not chest/head/shoulder/legs items.

Hence why the four piece and the Tier 8 set shine. And the set bonus is not bad. A set bonus is not meant to be some crazy overpowered shit that makes you never ever want to break the four piece bonus.

Compare to Tier5, since Tier8 is pretty much the same place in progression.

(2) Set: Each time you cast an offensive spell, there is a chance your next spell will cost 150 less mana.
    (4) Set: Each time your Shadow Word: Pain deals damage, it has a chance to grant your next spell cast within 15 sec 100 spell power.
    Totally awesome dude, right? RIGHT?

While on the surface a 240 haste rating for 4 seconds looks like a poor buff, keep in mind that our only spell that really benefits from haste is cast a vast amount of time directly after mindblast. This means we get the haste buff exactly when we need it and any increase in haste is going to result in increased dps. Whether it's enough to get 3 full MF's is irrelevant, it will be enough to get extra ticks over the course of an encounter and more ticks = more dps.

People also seem to think that set bonuses should always give them insane buffs... keep in mind a set bonus is just that, a bonus... it should be something that is nice to have but not mandatory. If set bonuses were so OP that you MUST have them, then it would make all peer items completely redundant.

When you compare the 2 items required to get 4pc T8 (makign the assumption you'll get 2 items for 2pc without question) you really dont sacrafice much to get the bonus. The head and the chest stand out as the best 2 pieces, so we're talking about the hands and shoulders. You lose about 30pp to equip those items (according to www.shadowpriest.com) which isn't a lot to pick up an extra ability... and if you trust the simcraft the set bonus more than makes up for that loss of PP.

someone got any experience if your first mindflay actually gets the haste bonus applied?
    im talking about server delay here. the server might not be able to tell you that you triggered the setbonus before your client started casting the first flay.

Quote Originally Posted by redfly
    someone got any experience if your first mindflay actually gets the haste bonus applied?
    im talking about server delay here. the server might not be able to tell you that you triggered the setbonus before your client started casting the first flay.
    Roughly 10% reduced cast time.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Strykie

Haste also reduce your global cooldown.

i think its a great buff but i think it should be 6 secs so that u could speed 2 mind flays even if u had 0 haste rating
    World of Warcraft has just as much right and responsibility to create new lore just as the old Warcraft games and books did.

Fucking deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by beanfinnalblow
    i think its a great buff but i think it should be 6 secs so that u could speed 2 mind flays even if u had 0 haste rating
    you will have the haste bonus for the 2nd flay. casting time wont change mid-cast.

someone able to answer that?

My guess is it will depend on your ping and how well you spell queue... hopefully it doesn't become an issue (i'm on Aussie ping /cry) but I can't really confirm or deny until I get 4pc T8 and see for myself.

Yep, it gets applied, no bug there. I haven't noticed any problems. Buff's called Devious Mind, it shows up correctly at my DoTimer proc anchor and lowers everything accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    The thing about hard-modes is it's more OTHER pieces of armor/weapons they bring, not chest/head/shoulder/legs items.
    - Agreed ;D

And even though the 4/5 for the healer set does seem to be alittle more aimed at disc, although i play disc if i went holy again, i wouldnt complain to be able to get 250 SP for just casting a PW:S every now and then :x ...

I find the 4 piece bonus really lackluster.
    The theorycrafting behind it is extremely unrealistic and should probably be given no weight.

Has anyone else noticed that if you cast a spell too fast after clipping a Mind Blast, you don't benefit from the haste? It's really cool. And makes this already terrible 4 piece bonus even more worthless.

My DPS has gone up significantly after assembling 4 pieces, even if it seems that it didn't (checked stats later, around 200ish more dps). So what you're saying has no weight since it's based on your subjective opinion where you make the maths behind the bonus irrelevant. So it's your word against mathematics, which simply can't be true. 4 piece bonus is good, not godlike and yes - your dps goes up after obtaining it.

Quote Originally Posted by zsuper
    I find the 4 piece bonus really lackluster.
    The theorycrafting behind it is extremely unrealistic and should probably be given no weight.

Has anyone else noticed that if you cast a spell too fast after clipping a Mind Blast, you don't benefit from the haste? It's really cool. And makes this already terrible 4 piece bonus even more worthless.
    Do you have any theoreycrafting of your own to share? Because if not, please stop insulting other peoples work when you have absolutely no effort put in to researching it yourself. And the set bonus is a free bonus. If you don't like it, swap out a piece of set gear for another piece of gear.

15+ Year Old Account

Man you are not using your head. Stack crit on every piece of gear. The haste you get from the 4 peices you need to get the bonus, as well as the bonus itself will soft cap your haste.

Since mind flay will be cast before the buff wears off, and spell don't recheck haste till the next new cast, you can stack crit outright and always have a 2 flay/mb rotation. It is well worth it, we literally get to skip an entire stat.