Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Re: Feral Druids - the Bear guide

well, assuming you're in current content gear, kitties are supposed to really start going for hardcap rather then softcap when they can get to 1050. There's other factors that can effect this number but in 245+ gear this should be the case. I believe this is stated in the cat guide thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor
    I see some advice is given here so I hope it's ok to ask something.

I have tremendous problems with threat - aoe threat that is, even from people geared lower than me.

I always tell people at the start of a heroic to hold back a bit but apparently most people have chat turned off and then WILL attack exactly the mob I'm not actively attacking (but do have threat on).

Anyway - I think the problem is my damage is too low and I'm not sure why because most other bears I've seen around do competitive damage often as good as the dedicated dps. (I tend to do somewhere between 1.3-1.5 k dmg overall in a dungeon!)

Any hints in regard to threat would be appreciated, survivability really is a non-issue for me.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...cream&cn=Lyida
    Your weapon is your greatest source of threat. If you are running an instance with other people wearing a mix of 200-232 level gear you are going to lose aggro if you have an item level 200 weapon. You need to concentrate your efforts on upgrading that item above anything else if threat is your biggest issue.

Hi,
    Let me start by saying nice thread.
    My favourite alt is a druid who took up tanking recently and has gotten as far as 4/12 Icc.
    Here's the link-: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...sus&cn=Telwynn
    If any experienced bear has any constructive criticism please feel free to give it.
    I swapped out glyph of maul initially to make Saurfang a little easier and have found I don't need it as such for threat, even multi-mob.
    I'm particularly interested in advice for gemming/enchanting and jewelry.
    I'm a sucker for agility over "plate tanking gear" and dislike stacking stam gems, but found I had to do so when uninterrupted frostbolts from Deathwhisper were one-shotting me.
    Thanks in advance for your time

P.S. if there is a more appropriate thread for this please let me know and I'll post elsewhere.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by BATISTTA
    Anyone have any ideas of what a good snap aoe ability would be?
    I got 1 idea: http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=5209

Quote Originally Posted by Laochraiceann
    Hi,
    My favourite alt is a druid who took up tanking recently and has gotten as far as 4/12 Icc.
    If any experienced bear has any constructive criticism please feel free to give it.
    I swapped out glyph of maul initially to make Saurfang a little easier and have found I don't need it as such for threat, even multi-mob.
    I'm a sucker for agility over "plate tanking gear" and dislike stacking stam gems, but found I had to do so when uninterrupted frostbolts from Deathwhisper were one-shotting me.

P.S. if there is a more appropriate thread for this please let me know and I'll post elsewhere.
    Move the 2 points out of shredding attacks and into Primal Precision. You are losing out on 10 expertise (= 2.5% chance to be dodged and 2.5% chance to be parried = 5% miss) since your expertise is currently only 14.

Ok so That wouldnt be such a bad idea if the cooldown wasnt so high on that aoe taunt. I think actually though that spell could be modified easy to help us with aoe tanking. Maybe the could make it same CD as Concecrate and than that would prob fix the prob. Good point though.

Quote Originally Posted by Laochraiceann
    Hi,

In terms of gear you are a bit high in hit and very low in expertise, consider going for t10 legs or t9 helm. Also drop the idol in favour of either the conquest badge one or the frost badge one. The Agi from them is better than the dodge from the triumph idol. Personally I'd go for tanking rings and neck too for additional stam and armour over a bit more dodge. You might already have it but the Glyph of Indomitability for Triumph badges is better than the frost trink for many fights. In terms of glyphs go for growl or mangle over rebirth or just get a stack of growl, maul and mangle and swap glyphs depending on the fight.

Just one question, do you prefer the dps rings and neck for threat or avoidance? If you use them for threat you would likely be better off swapping in expertise gear and making the talent change suggested earlier, if for avoidance the extra mitigation and stam from bonus armour pieces would likely trump the extra dodge from your agi ones.

If you're not having threat problems, you should be using frenzied regen, survival instincts, and growl for glyphs (taunts are considered a spell and thus require the additional hit). Seems like earlier you said you did fine after dropping maul so I'm guessing these are what you ought to have.

In terms of tanking items here's some numbers that are useful:

123 defense rating=25 defense skill=1%dodge & 1% miss
    Each whole increment of skill gives dodge, but fractions of skill give nothing.
    for instance 4.92 rating=1 skill=.04 dodge&miss, 2.46 rating will not give you .5 skill, it equates to nothing.

here's some more exact figures I got from Elitist Jerks
    45.25018692 dodge rating=1% dodge
    47.84688995 agility=1% dodge
    4.918498039=1 defense skill

you should note that this is all before DR is applied but I don't think it matters for the subject of comparing a tank ring to an agi dps ring.

So, I've seen a few rings with about 50 dodge and 50 defense rating, and typically rings with 90 agi.

50 rating=10 skill=.4% dodge and miss
    50 dodge rating=1.1% dodge
    90 agi=1.88% dodge

So that give you 1.9% avoidance with the tank ring and 1.88% from the agi ring. Str would probably approximately equal out with the AP that is on dps rings and you end up with around 30 more stm and sometimes some armor.

I'm pretty sure I did this math right, if you see something point it out and I'll change it.

Thanks very much for your advice all, I'll take it onboard.

Okay, Well, I need some advice.

I have my armory in my signature, and I hope most of you don't bash me on my choice of gear. I'm replacing it as we speak.

Well, I have done 4/12 ICC 25 tanking and uhm. I need some more HP.

At the moment I am going to be replacing some things
    Chest Piece - http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47599
    Necklace - http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50763(This weeks marrowgar didn't drop it so bleh :P)
    Weapon - http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47834 for now until I can get better from ICC
    Idol - Should I switched to the 264 one, or should I maybe keep mine right now? 200 Dodge rating is the equivelant of like 20% ish
    And I need to replace my trinkets. Those are all my main priorities.

Anything else I should look into replacing?

EDIT : I AM using the ICC ring, but I have it for my resto set(My resto sets like 20x better. Thats my main role)
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Misha&cn=Avandin

Shuckles,

for starters get your enchants fixed:
    Shoulders - 30 stam 15resi
    Chest - 10stats or 18 stam
    Gloves - If you want the hp, get 18 stam, otherwise get armor
    Head - 37stam 20 def
    Boots - I highly suggest http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=47901 over 22stam

Next thing on your list would be to farm TotC for http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47216 and swap it for Icks Thumb. Another thing will help you is to get http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45509 , it's better than what you have for tanking, upgrade this with badge one when you have 4xT10 and badge cloak.

After that comes the obvious thing to change jewelry and cloak to tanking pieces instead of dps and if you have the gold, buy a Battered Hilt and get the 2hand mace from that quest, it's quite decent and gives you expertise aswell.

Oh and as 3rd Minor glyph get http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43334

That's all I can suggest by quickly going over your armory, hope it helps.

Atm I'm useing the roting thum in HPoS and juggeernaut trinket in 25 toc reg.

Is darkmoon card:greatness better then the roting thum for me? Is it worth the 4-5k gold?

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nimshot

Gloves - If you want the hp, get 18 stam, otherwise get armor
    Not in his case.

He's an engineer, and the Engineering Armor Enchant on gloves is by far the best thing you can use in that slots, hands down, no questions asked.

For the rest, I second the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorliean
    Atm I'm useing the roting thum in HPoS and juggeernaut trinket in 25 toc reg.

Is darkmoon card:greatness better then the roting thum for me? Is it worth the 4-5k gold?
    Generally speaking, it's much better than RT.
    However: no, it's not worth the gold. Not with the options available now. Unless you desperately need the passive avoidance, I suggest using Glyph of Indomitability as your second trinket, paired with JV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuckles
    Okay, Well, I need some advice.

I have my armory in my signature, and I hope most of you don't bash me on my choice of gear. I'm replacing it as we speak.

Well, I have done 4/12 ICC 25 tanking and uhm. I need some more HP.

At the moment I am going to be replacing some things
    Chest Piece - http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47599
    Necklace - http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50763(This weeks marrowgar didn't drop it so bleh :P)
    Weapon - http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47834 for now until I can get better from ICC
    Idol - Should I switched to the 264 one, or should I maybe keep mine right now? 200 Dodge rating is the equivelant of like 20% ish
    And I need to replace my trinkets. Those are all my main priorities.

Anything else I should look into replacing?

EDIT : I AM using the ICC ring, but I have it for my resto set(My resto sets like 20x better. Thats my main role)
    Try running ToGC 10 to at least try to get a 245 weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Arel
    Not in his case.

He's an engineer, and the Engineering Armor Enchant on gloves is by far the best thing you can use in that slots, hands down, no questions asked.
    ugh right, ;D that's what I get for only quickly going over his profile , but yeh, engineering enchant all the way

Thanks a lot guys. I'm a newbie tanker but I never have in problems with snap threat so I would find the Challenging roar glyph kind of useless and a waste of a slot.

I would of never thought of any of those idea's. Especially the idol. Thanks again yall.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Misha&cn=Avandin

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nimshot
    Shoulders - 30 stam 15resi
    No no no! That's a terrible enchant, for the most part. The resil is completely and utterly useless, so you're talking about just 30 stam benefit, when you could be getting much more value from a Sons of Hodir enchant (pinnacle). Think of what you could be getting via gems -- the equivalent of 30 stam in itempoints is 20 defense or 20 dodge, but instead in this case, you could get 20 dodge *and* 15 def.

If you seriously completely need to squeeze *every* possible point of stam out of your gear (e.g., sarth 3d back in the day), the stam is a viable alternative... but for general case, there's no way that it's better. You're much better off getting the stam through other enchants or gems before you replace the shoulder enchant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine
    No no no! That's a terrible enchant, for the most part. The resil is completely and utterly useless, so you're talking about just 30 stam benefit, when you could be getting much more value from a Sons of Hodir enchant (pinnacle). Think of what you could be getting via gems -- the equivalent of 30 stam in itempoints is 20 defense or 20 dodge, but instead in this case, you could get 20 dodge *and* 15 def.

If you seriously completely need to squeeze *every* possible point of stam out of your gear (e.g., sarth 3d back in the day), the stam is a viable alternative... but for general case, there's no way that it's better. You're much better off getting the stam through other enchants or gems before you replace the shoulder enchant.
    If you have healer that have bad fps, you might need stamina to deal with their problem.

I can said about Def being useless as well since it does not help a feral tank as much as resi can.

I would wish Blizzard gave something better than stamina/resi and dodge/def, like Stamina/Dodge. Maybe that will happen in 4.0 when Def is remove.

I agree that blindly stamina is not the right way but we are dealing with the Lich King which does need good amount of stamina in order to do a good job.

I prefer the 30 stam as it gets hit by stat enhancing modifiers (and ICC Aura) where as the dodge/def does not.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine

Are you using shifting dreadstones or nightmare tear in any slot? If not, you should also not use the hodir enchant on shoulder. Getting a agi/stamina gem in a good socket bonus slot (6stam/4agi per nonblue socket) is a more efficient way of gaining avoidance than using the shoulder enchant, so only get the shoulder enchant if you have socketed all shifting dreadstones you can and still find yourself needing more avoidance.