Thread: Shadow DPS

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Shadow DPS

After looking around various websites and such, I'd found some good tips. But I still find my DPS caps about at the 3k mark in 10 mans, we don't have any Ele Shams, Boomkins or Demo locks so caster buffs aren't abundant.

Posting here too see if anyone can provide any hints/adivce on how I can up my game. DoT uptime I'm pretty nifty, dont have data to prove it so please take my word. MB I sometimes fuck up and don't cast when it comes off CD, often I hit MF so I know that's a slight drop.

Rotation is normallu SW:P - > VT -> DP -> MB -> SW -> SW:P -> MF and then we all know the rest, keep dots up, spam MB etc.

Current stats on my priest without any buffs ( incl IF, PW:F etc ) :

1816 SP
    20.45% Crit
    323 hit (over capped I know, working on that )
    148 Haste.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...orn&n=Bagpipes

If you have any helpfull inslight, or simply your rotation I'd appreciate the input.

Thanks.

Re: Shadow DPS

Search is your friend - read this informative topic: http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=53036.0

Also, your rotation is completely wrong. Worshaka's topic should help you improve your dps.

VT>SW:P > mind blast > DP > then just refresh your dots, spam mind flay. Cancel mind flay for mind blast as well

Edit: don't use sw:d unless your moving or you got it glyphed, and that is lower than 35% then

/facepalm

Just searched for Shadowpriest instead of Shadow Priest.. and low and behold what shows up. How silly of me, ignore this thread.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Tavin
    VT>SW:P > mind blast > DP > then just refresh your dots, spam mind flay. Cancel mind flay for mind blast as well

Edit: don't use sw:d unless your moving or you got it glyphed, and that is lower than 35% then
    This rotation is wrong as well unless you're manually refreshing swp later in the fight. You should do vt > mb or dp > mb or dp > mf > swp

The reason for this is that if you do swp earlier, it doesn't get the full effect of your shadow weaving stacks unless you manually refresh it later (at a mana and dps loss). The other dots (vt and dp) take a slight hit in dps on their first cycle of damage from not having full shadow weaving, but those ones you are manually refreshing anyways. The swp auto refreshes on mind flay, but doesn't take into account current buffs when it does so (at least last time I checked). Starting with swp or casting it before your shadow weaving is fully stacked can result in a large dps hit over the course of the fight, especially for such an easy problem to fix. Also if you're waiting a tad longer to cast it, odds are you'll have the buff from glyph of shadow active and at least one of your 'proc on cast/damage' trinkets active when you're casting swp. Those buffs to swp damage remain there for the whole fight as long as you don't let it drop off the mob.

The rotation isn't wrong, and sure i dont refresh sw.p - People who says theres a set rotation for every spec or class are just plain stupid. I can just do as much dps with "my" rotation as u do with your elitistjerk one.

The rotation isn't wrong, and sure i dont refresh sw.p - People who says theres a set rotation for every spec or class are just plain stupid. I can just do as much dps with "my" rotation as u do with your elitistjerk one.
    If you do not refresh your SWP in the rotation you listed you may well do as much dmg as his rotation, but your not maximizing yours.

SWP does not refresh Shadow Weaving stacks, so casting SWP before you get 5 stacks, you are loosing potential DPS. It is also widely considered a loss in DPS to have to burn a GCD to recast SWP. A rotation that gets 5/5 weaving up before you apply pain has the highest potential for dps then one that has to recast it.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him. - Mark Twain

No one was saying anything about set rotation. You should really grow up before nerdraging. No, you can't do as much dps as we can with our "elitist" ones, due to the fact that your SW:P does less damage since you cast it before you have 5 stacks of SW.

No, you can't. It is not possible, even slightly.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Lets avoid using the word wrong... if we're talking about maximum theoretical dps, casting VT before MB is a dps loss to casting MB before VT, the math to suppor the claim is here.

There are two reasons why, the MB cycle is half that of the VT cycle, so delaying MB has a greater % effect on its maximum possible dps in relation to delaying VT. So while VT has a higher DPE, you should cast MB. The other benefit is that by casting VT before MB you will guarantee a priority conflict every 2nd MB cycle... by catsing MB first you will eliminate that conflicy for several MB cycles, less conflicts = greater dps.

Tried out MB before VT in a heroic, and in VoA. Noticed a difference already, so thanks to syanid for pointing me in the right direction and Worshaka for the protips.

twopac187: "You should do vt > mb or dp > mb or dp > mf > swp"

Tbh, wasting a GCD by casting MB after VT isn't very good aswell Better cast DP after VT as its instant and can be casted directly after VT hits. Cast a spell with a cast time and an instant spell directly afterwards makes the most use of it, timewise.

Tavin: "The rotation isn't wrong, and sure i dont refresh sw.p - People who says theres a set rotation for every spec or class are just plain stupid. I can just do as much dps with "my" rotation as u do with your elitistjerk one."

By casting your SW:P as 2nd spell in your rotation and NOT refreshing it you'll loose atleast 6% of total SW:P damage because Shadow Weaving is not stacked to 5/5 (10% more dmg). So it might be wise to either refresh it (for example while changing position in fight, while moving) or better cast it after 5/5 Shadow Weaving is up, that's plain math, nothing to do with Elitejerkist or whatever... you'd pull the lowest SW:P dps by casting it first and NOT refreshing it.

If you're unsure check www.shadowpriest.com - best site for us shadowpriests so far

Quote Originally Posted by beatcore
    twopac187: "You should do vt > mb or dp > mb or dp > mf > swp"

Tbh, wasting a GCD by casting MB after VT isn't very good aswell Better cast DP after VT as its instant and can be casted directly after VT hits. Cast a spell with a cast time and an instant spell directly afterwards makes the most use of it, timewise.
    You're thinking is a bit flawed... it doesnt matter if you cast MB before or after an instant spell, its still exactly the same execution time.

For example... you claim that casting VT then MB then DP is a bad idea, instead you think VT, DP, MB is a better combination. All those spells have an execution time of 1.5 sec (assuming 0 haste), VT is a 1.5sec cast, MB is a 1.5sec cast and DP is instant but invokes a 1.5sec GCD. so the total execution time is still 4.5sec. You can flip that order any way you like and the execution time is still 4.5sec... all you change when the damage is applied... one rotation will front load some damage early in the 4.5sec, others will load it late... but in the scope of a PvE encounter it's irrelevent.

Btw, ~3k isn't bad in 10 mans overall, unless you're just running the wings where it's massive AoE. There may be small room for improvement in your rotation/priority order, but that's true for just about everyone. I think your wall @ ~3k DPS is probably just because of your gear. Upgrade to 25 man Naxx/EoE/Sarth gear etc. and you'll see an increase in DPS if you continue on.

I half figured that, the DK and Warrior I raid with kick out above 3.5k but they're both in full 25 man. But alas, I always strive to do as much as I can.

i use VT, DP, MB, SW, SW:P and MF in that rotation and i do 3k, in 10 mans (boss fights), all the info i'm reading should help be a ton in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Toysuprapr
    i use VT, DP, MB, SW, SW:P and MF in that rotation and i do 3k, in 10 mans (boss fights), all the info i'm reading should help be a ton in this thread.
    I started opening with MB after reading this, noticed a decent DPS increase. I really suggest trying it.

MB>SWD>MF=> 5/5

There's still plenty of fights where you cannot open with Mind Blast. Better open slightly earlier with something that have a cast time.

The damage difference on the DoT ticks in the initial sequence is so small it's irrelevant. The opening sequence is all about getting everything up on the smallest amount of time possible, and abuse your haste to the maximum.

VT -> DP -> Mind Blast -> Mind Flay -> SW:P -> SW -> Mind Blast

Due to my amount of haste I can squeeze a SW in without any problems.
    Again, there's no best way to do it, just what ever suits you. This one suits me, and several other good priests.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    There's still plenty of fights where you cannot open with Mind Blast. Better open slightly earlier with something that have a cast time.

The damage difference on the DoT ticks in the initial sequence is so small it's irrelevant. The opening sequence is all about getting everything up on the smallest amount of time possible, and abuse your haste to the maximum.

VT -> DP -> Mind Blast -> Mind Flay -> SW -> SW:P

Due to my amount of haste I can squeeze a SW in without any problems.
    Again, there's no best way to do it, just what ever suits you. This one suits me, and several other good priests.
    Why the SW b4 SW:P... you should have full stacks of Shadowweaving unless MF is only ticking once with that setup (which I highly doubt)... I understand with large amounts of haste you'll have a free GCD, why not SW:P b4 the SW?