PvE Disc Gear Question

I was able to find out what gear you need as a disc priest for pvp [int/stam/crit/sp] but haven't been able to find out what gear to look for as a pve disc priest.

I just got my priest to 58 and heading into outlands and plan on switching to disc as I'll be leveling with a friend and I plan on going disc @ 80.

Do I want to focus on the usual healing priest gear [int//spirit/sp] or should I go for more of the dps stuff [int/crit/sp]?

I always assumed int/crit/sp as disc priests get more out of crit these days but I have no idea what my mana consumption would be @ end game if I had low amounts of spirit.

Re: PvE Disc Gear Question

PVE disc is more like SP>INT>Crit>MP5>spi>haste
    For leveling Spi>SP>int>crit>haste (for longevity while solo)

but everyone has slightly different priorities, reasoning:
    -no talent stat->SP available, need SP to make shields/heals better
    -INT is your regen stat, via Rapture and to a greater extent Sfiend/Replenishment in endgame
    -Crit procs DA, which makes Overheals and regular heals that much more effective
    -MP5 is on gear, you'll get it incidently (never gem/enchant for it)
    -Spirit- Disco benefits less from this as there's no Spi->SP talent for disc
    -Haste is a tricky one. You get 6% via talents and 25% after you cast PW:S (which has no cd for disco) and it isn't consumed by instant casts or penance (though it does reduce their GCD/channel time) some love having more of it, some say the 31% baked into the spec is enough

For leveling, I highly recommend the Surge of Light spec, a disc/holy hybrid. This allows for ease of healing instances and lets you solo without respeccing: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bVcbhhhZfxt0bbVbZh:u

I used it while leveling, after 58 (I stopped with that level on the calculator) fill in Disc as you level higher and put a point in SoR if you want to for the bonus 5% spirit.

forgot to mention: get spirit tap for soloing, it is god for regen/not having to drink between pulls

As a rule of thumb try to get your crit and haste at a decent % unbuffed first. Around 25% crit and 6-7% haste before Enlightenment. After you're sitting at that I would work on SP > INT > Crit > Haste > everything else. If you are having mana troubles and your rotation is fine then gem for INT foremost. Once mana problems are out of the way start gathering SP again. Disc gearing is pretty simple.

EX - <PIE CHART> US TOP 10 Check 'em out http://piechart-guild.com/

As a very generalized rule of thumb for when you are gearing at 80...

Select gear like a shadow priest, less the desire for hit, but favoring crit over haste.

Gem SP in red, Int/SP in yellow, and Int/SP in blue unless the socket bonus merits (or commands for a meta) using the SP/Stam.

I'm hating all the (for us) lackluster spirit being itemized into our T8, but at least the 4pc set bonus is amazing.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Yeah, for once, a set bonus just "screams" DISCIPLINE!!! instead of Holy lol.

EX - <PIE CHART> US TOP 10 Check 'em out http://piechart-guild.com/

Awesome, thanks for the help. Just wanted to figure this all out prior to hitting 8)

I went for a full int gemming for my disc set.

24058 mana, 2138 sp with Inner Fire and 24.42 Holy crit all unbuffed (except IF)

Armory:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...39;thol&cn=Bbk

I find Int a better stats since it gives crit, and more benefit from Replenish/Rapture. Therefor, you can spam more and more again.

Never went OOM in a single fight in 25 ulduar yet.

I use my Fiend, but rarely use my JC Trinket and never use mana pot.

Gearscore: A new way to see who fail at their class. 'Cause itemization is too hard... You need d/n-umbers.

Problem with a regen stat such as Mp5, Spirit, and in our arguments, Intellect, is that it has no net benefit if you actually do not go oom. That is, extra mana doesn't help in situations where you aren't actually dependant on it.

What is more effective is really to keep multiple pieces of gear, so you can swap and juggle haste, SP, regen and tailor your stats to suit whichever boss you are focusing on. Gem your gear as appropriate, in consideration of whichever set you plan to keep it in (etc your Belt for regen will have an Int gem)

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat
    Problem with a regen stat such as Mp5, Spirit, and in our arguments, Intellect, is that it has no net benefit if you actually do not go oom. That is, extra mana doesn't help in situations where you aren't actually dependant on it.

What is more effective is really to keep multiple pieces of gear, so you can swap and juggle haste, SP, regen and tailor your stats to suit whichever boss you are focusing on. Gem your gear as appropriate, in consideration of whichever set you plan to keep it in (etc your Belt for regen will have an Int gem)
    Intellect gives you crit rating actually.

I got 10.ish% out of my 1.4k intellect.

Gearscore: A new way to see who fail at their class. 'Cause itemization is too hard... You need d/n-umbers.

hold on
    red > sp
    yellow > sp int
    blue > sp int
    what exceptions for socket bonus' do we want...
    bonus' are:
    haste
    sp
    crit
    mp5
    spirit