Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Feral Druids - The Cat Guide. 3.1 Edition

First of all and most important for a dps-er is to get to his hit cap. Applies to all dps-ers. The reason i s very simple: you can have all the item bonuses in the world, all the stats in the world, but if you miss a hit because you are not capped, all the above don't matter anymore. So in order to get the maximum out of your gear, get hit capped and also expertise capped first of all as a melee dps-er. Hit cap is 8%, expertise to counter dodge from bosses when stood at the boss's behind is 6.5%.
    /hug

how come none of these specs take protector of the pack http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=57877?
    dont see how imp mangle would be better then 6% ap, seeing u only have to use mangle max every 12sec, hmm.

also dont think the FB talent is better then it, as i hardly get to use FB, that would maybe change if i had better gear dunnooo!

well this is the spec i use anyway which imo is the best for dps allround ;-)
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#0ZxGMcfrz0eRchuVkbEczb

the 6% AP boost works only in bear/Dire Bear form. It is a waste of 3 points for a cat based druid.

Imp mangle is situational, but a situationally great ability (kologarn, for instance) is much better than a useless ability.

oh hmm, i read it as 6% ap all the time, and the dmg reduction for bear only
    sure the AP is for bear only too? ;-p

oh i see now it says "Requires Bear Form, Dire Bear Form"
    BUT doesnt say that ingame though! grr hmm gah waah

Quote Originally Posted by Spamb0t
    how come none of these specs take protector of the pack http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=57877?
    dont see how imp mangle would be better then 6% ap, seeing u only have to use mangle max every 12sec, hmm.

also dont think the FB talent is better then it, as i hardly get to use FB, that would maybe change if i had better gear dunnooo!

well this is the spec i use anyway which imo is the best for dps allround ;-)
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#0ZxGMcfrz0eRchuVkbEczb

/Facepalm

Although, to be honest, I took the talent that gives AOE damage reduction in Catform with my tank build because I misread the tooltip back when when WotLK went live...
    CoryEverson: lvl80 Death Knight (Lich King)

"While in Cat Form increases your damage from melee critical strikes by 10% and reduces the damage taken from area of effect attacks by 30%."

"Increases your attack power by 6% and reduces the damage you take by 12%, while in Bear or Dire Bear Form."

if they just had written the 2nd one same way as the first, "while in bear form increases your attack power ...." it would make alot more sense

A few people here aren't getting Glyph of Mangle's usefulness, and it's not just a 'oh I need to change targets now but it's ok coz the mangle debuff while still be on the other mob'. -6 seconds on the debuff changes your whole rotation.

Personally, I'd much rather have it then Glyph of Shred. Why? Because without Glyph of Mangle you have to mangle much more often, leading to less shreds, and the possibility that you won't get 3 shreds off in the time of one rip (especially the time of one rip when you out gear 2pt t7 (-4 seconds)).

I can see our finisher rotation getting very... interesting once 4pt t8 comes into play. +8 seconds on SR is huge. Think about it.
    5CP SR -> 42 seconds of uptime, much longer then we're used to.
    No 2part t7 -> much shorter duration on rip.
    Stacking armor pen instead of agi.

Because of the shorter duration on rip we might need to apply rip twice for each finisher cycle (ie each time you use SR), but since we've stacked armor pen rip isn't as good dpe-wise as it could be, and there will be quite a large gap between the two rip applications, so you would probably want to throw in a FB there.

This would lead to a SR->Rip->FB->Rip->SR finisher rotation, which is daunting to look at and will be made even harder because of the nerfed CP generation due to stacking armor pen over agi and not critting as much...

This is all off the top of my head though. I only have 2pt t8, not 4pt, so I'm not talking from experience.

15+ Year Old Account

Rawf once you get 4p T8, anything more than a 1 CP SR is a waste since it a flat +8 seconds regardless of the numbers of CP's used.

so you would just 1cp SR -> 5cp Rip -> 5cp FB repeat?

This could be fairly useful for some druids for Rotations

http://www.unbearably.net/blogfiles/simplecatdps.jpg

Great guide Rowen i wanna add it to the Gear section. How would you like me to add it, just link your topic or copy/paste then give you credit?

Up to you.

Also on topic of the glyph of mangle. Most 25 man raids you will have a druid tank or Arms warrior so it's completely useless then. Yes some situations mangle might be better then shred even w/out mangle/trauma bot but most of the time shred > mangle.

If you mean my pre-raid gear guide, Pask, I don't mind how you put it in. It'd take up a big chunk of space in your FAQ, but people stop to look here. I'd probably link it so interested people can read it and people looking for a specific thing or two in the discussion can skip it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamft
    SCENARIOS!
    -You just got Rip on Hodir, but now you need to break out the adds. Uh-oh, not going to get those shreds up.
    -Landed a Rip on Mimiron p3, but melee needs help with bots.
    -Rip on XT and the raid needs to kill bots.
    -Rip during Iron Council and have to run out/interrupt/whatever.
    etc, etc.

Mangle glyph will ALWAYS be useful, Shred glyph might not always get full mileage.

Also: I'm assuming none of your rogues have 4pt8 if you think that Rupture isn't important.
    Sounds more like Mangle glyph may occasionally be more useful (partially depending on how good the rest of your raid is/how well you can predict having to run from the boss). About 90% of the time I can get off 3 Shreds on a boss. I don't see why you would switch to a Mangle glyph just because maybe once a fight you can't get all 3 Shreds in.

If you have a Druid tank or an Arms Warrior then it's even more useless. Mangle glyph is good for new cats to help out with juggling debuffs but once you have a good feel for all the abilities then going to the Shred glyph will maximize your dps.

P.S. If raid leaders understand the DPS that ferals are capable of, they won't have them help out with bots and they'll just let them do their thing on XT. And unless I'm the only one breaking the freezes on Hodir then it doesn't take me 20 seconds to break them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Solux
    If you mean my pre-raid gear guide, Pask, I don't mind how you put it in. It'd take up a big chunk of space in your FAQ, but people stop to look here. I'd probably link it so interested people can read it and people looking for a specific thing or two in the discussion can skip it.
    Yeah i meant your pre raid guide; guess I'll just link to your topic then GJ btw.

help out with bots and they'll just let them do their thing on XT. And unless I'm the only one breaking the freezes on Hodir then it doesn't take me 20 seconds to break them out
    the freezes have 100k hp cats can burst prety good, now taking as we are all good cats here 5k overal dps shouldn't be hard, say we burst for 5.5kdps for beserk time that would take us less then 20 sec to kill those freezes even if we where alone killing them :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kerima
    This could be fairly useful for some druids for Rotations

http://www.unbearably.net/blogfiles/simplecatdps.jpg
    i loled

is it better to open up on a boss with mangle/rip/shred or what ever, or go stealth and hit a ravage? i usually open with mangle then the warrior takes care of rest but...what do u guys do?

Quote Originally Posted by Paskgotsheal
    Great guide Rowen i wanna add it to the Gear section. How would you like me to add it, just link your topic or copy/paste then give you credit?
    Credit for finding something in elitist jerks? No, just copy the link.
    "Holy bananas Ghostcrawler, ferals are doing well in pvp again!"

"What!? To the nerfmobile!"

Quote Originally Posted by Khraeme
    is it better to open up on a boss with mangle/rip/shred or what ever, or go stealth and hit a ravage? i usually open with mangle then the warrior takes care of rest but...what do u guys do?
    Open with faerie fire, then mangle. Ravage is kind of crap because it takes a lot of energy and doesn't apply a bleed or the mangle debuff, so it doesn't really get you started in your dps rotation apart from giving a combo point or two. Pretty much the only good use for Ravage is if you don't have improved mangle and find a very low hp target sitting down in pvp, and it's not like it matters much what ability you use in such a situation, they're screwed anyway. I actually haven't had Ravage bound to any button for a long time.

lol ya true, i ususly let the boomys use FF, and i open with mangle