Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Building a new computer

Yo MMO, i was thinking about building my first computer and was looking to put togather a powerful gaming PC.
    I lurked around some tech forums and got:
    http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=10071005

Does anyone see any flaws in this system or any thing i forgot?
    PS: Yes I would rather a Phenon 2 than an i7.

EDIT: Fixed the link
    Once Elendur of Arthas.

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Building a new computer

a) the first link need login data
    b) the picture is way too small, can't read a freaking piece on it
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

I'll post a better pic after my exams. Do you need login data for the site or a special PW just to see my list? I thought a public wishlist would be umm... public.
    Once Elendur of Arthas.

fixed the link
    Once Elendur of Arthas.

Deleted

get a TB HD for 100$ and seperate them for Windows/Games/Media/etc.
    maybe wanna look into
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102801
    and you got the wrong motherboard for your memory ( mobo supports Dual Channel your memory is triple channel, i cant find any triple channel motherboard for AMD motherboards, only for intel. )
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148261

It's quite fine as it is now.
    If you really want to play games, you have to buy better graphic card. Buy double 4770 or go with 4890.
    I would recommend to get 4890 as it is really cheap now (under 200)

Quote Originally Posted by tezi
    If you really want to play games, you have to buy better graphic card. Buy double 4770 or go with 4890.
    I would recommend to get 4890 as it is really cheap now (under 200)
    Go with a single graphics cards as CrossfireX [or SLI for that matter] are a waste of money due to the fact that most games won't need eve 75% of the performance potential it'll offer. The more bells and whistles you add to your rig, the greater [and more expensive] opportunities for screw-ups.

Biostar's mobo quality is questionable as a couple of my clients have had problems with faulty equipment from them but I've run one for two years now and it's been fine.

I'm an ATI fanboy but I honestly think Nvidia dominates the market for high-end cards at this point [unless you're going with CrossfireX as it scales so much better than SLI]. A GTX280 should handle all of your gfx needs for the foreseeable future.

And personally, I went with the Raptor series HDD's because of the increased speed and performance, they're amazing in RAID.

Ok most of the tech forums i have been reading have said that Phenon 2 is better than i7 so i was just wondering if anyone could explain exactly the difference was, and what in their opinion is better for gaming.
    Once Elendur of Arthas.

Dunno from which tech forums you got the info but, imo i7 is the fastest procesor you can get on the market. Sure, it costs more money but if you are aiming for better performance, i7 is the way to go. If you want to balance things money/performance than any AMD should do the trick.

Oh and about the graphics card, the lower high class now offer some very interesting products from both Ati and Nvidia. The 4870 and GTX260 are one hell of an offer if you want both power and performance.

edit: Just a thought: the RAM costs the same amount of $$ as the keyboard xD

Well price wise it comes down to a 3.2GHz Phenon 2 vs a 2.66 GHz i7 which one do you think would preform better? Though the i7 has 6gigs of ram and the phenon has 4
    Once Elendur of Arthas.

eh i'll just ask /g/
    Once Elendur of Arthas.

You won't need 6 gigs of ram. Not for a while. It's a waste of money as you won't come close to utilizing it. Instead go for less but faster RAM and you'll see more returns from it.

I'd go for the AMD if you're on a budget but make sure you have a decent heatsink as the Phenoms run hot, especially if you overclock.

Not going to comment on your peripherals because I believe a gamer's keyboard and mouse preferences are at his own discretion. I typically use a cheap keyboard and then a very expensive mouse though so that's my two cents.

After a bit of talking on /g/ I ended up with this build http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=10071005
    Before I hit order can anyone see anything i may have forgot, this is my first build so it cant hurt to double check ^.^
    Once Elendur of Arthas.

Got a coupla issues with the build, im going to edit this post with them in, hold off on ordering it for a bit

No xfire, so cheaper PSU with 1 12v rail (it will also be fine if you crossfire in the future, the one you chose is rather expensive) Corsair 650 99$, with a 30$ rebate

Your mobo has onboard gfx, Why? You are purchasing a GFX card, so its not needed. Speaking of that, that card is overkill for a 24 inch monitor, you could EASILY get by with a cheaper card. Expensive case and fan cooler, got something against antec 900? Cheaper, stood the test of time. I dont like the thermal paste that comes with yours I use The dark knight (sounds cool IMO, plus its amazing)

Unless you have money to burn, I really can't comprehend any of the choices you've made.

For your first build you seemed to have just clicked on what category item you need and added the first thing you saw.

When building a new computer figured out how much you want to spend, and figure out what you will be using it for, by the looks of that rig your spending more money on items that don't enhance the power/performance of the rig just overpriced "name-brand infused" components.

But like I said unless you have money to burn and don't really care, go ahead and click the "Checkout" button.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonteriyaki
    Unless you have money to burn, I really can't comprehend any of the choices you've made.

For your first build you seemed to have just clicked on what category item you need and added the first thing you saw.

When building a new computer figured out how much you want to spend, and figure out what you will be using it for, by the looks of that rig your spending more money on items that don't enhance the power/performance of the rig just overpriced "name-brand infused" components.

But like I said unless you have money to burn and don't really care, go ahead and click the "Checkout" button.
    Heh the first build was a big mistake. After chatting with some guys on /g/ i came up with the https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/M...px?ID=10071005 build which i am really happy with. I got a 620w instead of a 550w just to leave room for some upgrades aside from that i don't really see any power/performance issues
    Once Elendur of Arthas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_BoMyJangles
    Nice find
    Once Elendur of Arthas.

Stop posting private wishlists, I cant see your most recent one

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_BoMyJangles
    Stop posting private wishlists, I cant see your most recent one
    Gah, sry
    Once Elendur of Arthas.