Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Why is Discipline supposedly more fun than Holy?

Quote Originally Posted by axxey
    Inspiration is the main thing that tips the table for me.
    Holy priests and shaman will in most raid groups rarely be critting the tank for consistant uptime when they're raid healing. Disc priest will always keep it up on tank.
    So put a shaman on the MT as they are kinda bad at raid healing these days

Quote Originally Posted by Swedishcow123
    shaman as they are kinda bad at raid healing these days
    ...sarcasm, do I smell?

i played disc priest right when wotlk started.. loved it.. but when i switched to holy to try it out, i never went back...

maybe when i think i have 1000g to spare i will dual spec into it... maybe
    It's just a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Izenhart
    ...sarcasm, do I smell?
    i would say no cuz shamans are falling behind on raid healing, tho they are awsome healing the MT and the all melee grps around the MT or in encounters like Auriaya where all the raid is huging the MT

I disagree with that, Elween.
    A shaman healer is a good match to a holypriest in my eyes. Arguably marginally better, but Ulduar is higly tilted in favor of the priest thanks to massive AoE burst. Ultimately both healers rock, and you want a good mix of both.

Still, I couldn't even touch my good guild shaman on the meters (why do it always fall down to the meters?) back when CoH spam was dominant. And I can't touch him now; a good shaman will rock on healing done and I thoroughly respect that. But usually it all really comes down to the fight who will "win" the meters. Kologarn is usually mine, priests are great at AoE burst healing. But on fights like Thorim, I just stand no chance against him. The only thing preventing him from waltzing over the rest of the healing team is the fact that his Chain Heal is at a low jump range.

Though I must admit, he has to work slightly harder than me to catch up with the bursts, I would still take my guild shaman over a second holypriest, any day. Just for diversity in healing, bloodlust and additional utility.
    And also because my guild shaman rock.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

ye maybe you r right about the burst aoe dmg and there priest can do a good job, but you r forgetting about the resto druids for dmg like thorim those, they can pull in the metter on dmg like that. Our healing setup its usually 1xholy priest; 2xresto shamans; 2x resto druids; 2xholy paly, not perfect but works even tho i would like to have one more holy priest or replace on paly with a disc. oh damn we r going way offtopic now ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Elperdedor
    Interesting that you compare it to pally healing, since I hear pally healing is often the most boring of healers.
    You heard, I play it, I disagree.

I play a holy/disc priest and a holy paladin and paladin is CRAZY boring compared to priest, either spec. Disc is still way more boring than holy imo mostly because tank healing is far less intensive and emergency-prone than raid healing... it's much easier to watch 1 health bar than 25.

The reason so many priests find Disc to be more enjoyable is the pure and simple fact that they've turned holy on it's head in the expansion.

-Spirit is still necessary, but far less effective
    -GHeal, in the minds of most priests, has been overshadowed by FHeal
    -We no longer thread small heals between big tank heals
    -We are actually required to spam FHeal and Binding to build up charges of Serendipity

Does Holy still do it's job? Yeah, but now so does Disc; it's nice after several years of having only one choice to now have two.

Holy brings nothing to the table that Disc doesn't in some form or another; with the exception of CoH, which Disc can compensate for via Renewed Hope and preemptive shielding.

Is one better than the other? No, not really. Regardless of what people say, they have the same number of healing buttons and use them just as effectively.

Pick one. Have fun. Stop fighting over which one is "better."

Quote Originally Posted by Elperdedor
    I have heard a lot of opinions that a disc priest is more fun to heal as rather than a holy priest. Why is that?[...]
    Because it is new.

Quote Originally Posted by Arduroc
    Pick one. Have fun. Stop fighting over which one is "better."
    Its not that, each spec is good at one roll holy better for raid healing disc is better to MT healing.
    Now what spec is more fun to play is the question, it depends on tastes really.
    I prefer holy.

Quote Originally Posted by c4tuna
    I play a holy/disc priest and a holy paladin and paladin is CRAZY boring compared to priest, either spec. Disc is still way more boring than holy imo mostly because tank healing is far less intensive and emergency-prone than raid healing... it's much easier to watch 1 health bar than 25.
    Disc do watch 25, their the ones that throw the PW:S on the rest of the raid so that Holy priests, and other healers heal won't land .5 sec's too late

Fun = Effective for most
    I don't agree with this sentiment but I have no doubt this is partly why people are enjoying disc at the moment. To be fun and effective are completely different concepts.

Fun = Easiest to do well for less skill
    Not having any mana management issues as disc makes it much easier.
    Again I don't agree but have no doubts people are confusing fun with easy. If you really think easy is more fun, ask a Lock about Destruction during TBC. All they did was cast CoE, Shadowbolt, Shadowbolt, Shadowbolt, Shadowbolt... a lot of locks were really annoyed how boring their spec was. It was by far the easiest most effective spec out of any dps class in TBC yet the most boring to play.

Looking at the Disc Vs Holy discussion, Disc is far easier to play. Someone thought they'd be clever and try to flame that opinion earlier in this thread but at the end of the day Disc requires 0 mana management. Heals can be chain cast with little thought on a target that will for the most part take consistent damage. It doesn't challenge the player to be all that innovative. Sure there are going to be disc priests out there that use penance, PW:S and Borrowed Time more effectively than others but this is no different to any good player playing their class/spec to its best capability.

Holy just has that much more to think about and requires far better reactions and decisions than disc. You are healing a greater section of the raid, for the most part they are taking unpredictable damage. Selecting who you heal and with what spell is absolutely vital and that decision needs to be made quickly and correctly. Do I CoH, PoM, Renew, Flash Heal, PW:S, PoH, Gheal, Binding Heal... all of these spells need to be cast by a holy priest at some stage during a raid... then add on top of that is the need to manage your mana. You need to play the FSR game, you need to make the best of your SoL procs. You need to select spells with a view of what HPM effect it might have... all of these decisions just don't exist for Disc.

For me that variation and that dynamic decision making is what makes Holy more fun. I think a lot of healing priests are just enjoying the change to disc as something new. The fact that mana doesn't need to be managed and the ease of disc's style is a welcome change to those who are perhaps a bit tired of the constant decision making required in the holy tree. I think after a few months those priests will get a bit bored of the lack of variety and probably switch back.

Bubbles, man!
    BUBBLES EVERYWHERE

How can you not love it!?

WTB Power word: Barrier ;D

I used to think Holy was boring. This is coming from a long time Discipline priest. Dual Spec has allowed me to switch back and forth and really get to feel out my Holy counterpart better.

I think 3.1 really pushed Holy further into the raid healer position that it was already good at. We have 2 instant heals that can cover a lot of ground quickly, Empowered Renew and Circle of Healing. Empowered Renew adds another spell that can crit to the table for more SoL proc reactive fun.

What I'm getting at is Holy isn't about the big slow GHeals on the tank while spamming CoH. Now you should constantly be targeting someone for a SoL proc, or Empowered Renew, along with the timed CoH since there's a cooldown now. On top of that, watch out for a Serendipity 3 stack from all the SoL flashes to get off a PoH (That's a pretty situational thing but I'm just making a point). They just really upped the "raid healer" game for Holy. It's no longer slow with mindless CoH's. It's a little faster and more reactive with Emp. Renew and CoH cooldown.

I still LOVE discipline but I hate all this poo throwing between Disc and Holy priests. There are priests in my guild who are pretty much jackasses about it, over the meters I assume even though healing meters don't really mean shit.

Onto "Why Discipline is so fun"...

Spamming shield...there just isn't a feeling like it, lol! No CD, lower mana cost, and the debuff adds 4% crit to our heals which is something to keep track of. Grace stacks and then losing them for a quick heal on someone else is something to keep track of. Giving 3% less DMG to the whole raid is pretty nifty (yes pallies can do it too but you need 3+ and while that happens often it isn't needed and now they can give something else that's useful). Penance is really fun and has to be watched the same as CoH. Rapture is a great mechanic and it's fun to regen while giving someone else resources, mitigation, AND healing with one click. We also have huge mana pools and awesome regen.

Even though with the way I described the "new" Holy play style up top is pretty fast, I think Disc is a little more fast paced while being "different" since a lot of it is mitigation rather than straight up healing...PW:S, DA, Renewed Hope...they add up for quite a lot. I wish there was a way to show how much Renewed Hope actually mitigated for the entire raid over the course of a fight.

EX - <PIE CHART> US TOP 10 Check 'em out http://piechart-guild.com/

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by G l o w y r m
    Giving 3% less DMG to the whole raid is pretty nifty (yes pallies can do it too but you need 3+ and while that happens often it isn't needed and now they can give something else that's useful).
    Renewed Hope stacks with Blessing of Sanctuary. And 6% less damage > 3% less damage, so take both
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by Arduroc

-We are actually required to spam FHeal and Binding to build up charges of Serendipity

You aren't required to do that. I and many others on EJ are very against that. Many, not myself, are even against picking up Serendipity at all because it promotes that kind of mana wasting. Precasting and knowledge of incoming damage is the best way to go but I still feel that it helps with those "oh sh!t" moments, plus my SoL procs like crazy and builds it up to 3 stack often for free!

Holy is definitely different now though. There's 2 very different ways to play it. I ditched GHeal almost completely and even Flash heal takes the back burner to Renew most of the time. Two instant heals (Emp. Renew and CoH) covers much ground really quickly while upping your Holy Concentration time and SoL proc amount compared to Flash Heal spam.

To me, that's greater than Flash spam.

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    Renewed Hope stacks with Blessing of Sanctuary. And 6% less damage > 3% less damage, so take both
    Really?! That's great news! God swoons! I was always told otherwise!

EX - <PIE CHART> US TOP 10 Check 'em out http://piechart-guild.com/

15+ Year Old Account

You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

um...why disc's more fun than holy...good question

for me, it's fun because it's bursty - large crit from penance. plus it's less gear demanding and you don't have to worry about mana all that much. it's much easier to play than holy, at least to me. i like to spam and not worry about mana.

GM/Raid Leader of <Air>, Sargeras-US, Alliance
    13/13M Mythic Morning/Day-Time Raiding Guild

Now recruiting for Legion! Apply at air-guild.com