Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

3.1.2 RIP Engineering

It is with melancholy that I begin this thread. I feel that the mayhem is over and the last blow was delivered by Blizz. Today I would like for all of us who dedicated time and gold on leveling a profession we loved. I first leveled engineering on an alt I was leveling during Vanilla Wow. I was leveling a hunter and I was such a noob that all I cared was about the cool looking goggles and the scope that I could add on my bow. I was happy to have a piece of gear on my head slot while everyone else had to wait till the 20s to pick one up. I left the game for a few months about the time TBC was released. I came back only to see people in stormwind rocking these cool looking goggles that had some fancy stats in them. I remember seeing a warrior decked out in plate and wearing @ZOMFG@ tanking goggles. I was starting all over and picked up engineering on that rogue. Come season 2 I loved that I had an edge to some rogues, I had a human racial and goggles that added some stealth detect.

Rerolled out of alliance a few months into s3 and started a huntard. BM was amazing those days and again I leveled engineering for the advantage to hunting rogues in bgs/arena. I thought of tanking and rolled a tank a UD dude that looked ultra badass with Engineering adn Stormherald (BS when it was cool). My toon looked soo cool when I was pvping I had a glossy big hammer that stunned people along with a talent that allowed for more stuns.. oh yea and some sick goggles for my two specs. Next came a Paladin, I was burnt out with needing to CC every mob and their mom during heroic runs (yes, at one point warriors needed all kinds of CC to avoid wipes); a Paladin was the ideal choice to be switching between healing/dps(oh yea ret sucked back then)/tanking aoe!! So another toon rolls out of the create a character screen, his name was Foreclosure. Man I was soo excited to have JC and Engineering at 70.. but WOTLK came out and I had to sacrifice engineering to lvl mining and my JC. I knew id level engineering again. So, a few weeks ago after farming bars and mats for engineering adn saving money for the stuff i was too lazy to farm, I went 1-450 in 3 days. I was soo happy to have rocking goggles again.

Unfortunately Engineering became crappy early in the game. The goggles were replaceable with 25s that were easily cleared, I mean Naxx is srs bsnss right? lol. And now... Now we have rocket boots that dont work, Goggles that dont detect stealth, a trinket that got nerfed to the ground, and only fond memories of what we once enjoyed.

With all four toons with engineering I feel the pain of 3.1.2

To all the trolls getting out of school at 3pm and being picked up by mom... it was simply a humble advantage we had to you. Ench has ring enchants, JC has prismatic gems, LW a dope enchant for wrists, gathering profs make gold, etc.

All I got now is the ability to make stupid scopes and a set of goggles that will be replaced soon.

With regret I now ask you to join me in this day of mourning. The profession we loved no longer fits any aspect of the game

Crackaine- it's like crack for the sophisticated man.

Patch 3.1.2... RIP engineering you will be remember with fond memories for the edge you gave arena

Re: 3.1.2 RIP Engineering

I've had the rocket boots fail on me countless number of times when I really needed them to work. I questioned whether the random chance for it to work was worth giving up straight up run speed (Tuskarr's), now I know it is clearly not.

I now go into the arena with 0 buffs related to my profession, a clear disadvantage. I'm not going to re-reroll since I've had engineering since Vanilla and I'm not going to give up Biznik's or other rare recipes I've collected along the way. Good thing my second profession isn't Herbalism or I'd really be kicking myself right now. GG Bliz.

Engineering has always been a wierd bird. It really was almost meant to be a joke. I mean, who else has to deal with chance of catastrophic failure for little gain. In vanilla, when things like trinkets were rare till the end game it was solid. And grenades had a nice niche. But it doesn't seem like they've figured out what they really want to do with it as far as evening out its bonuses PvE wise with the other proffesions. I still dig it tho, just not for my main.

Yeah, I feel your pain, I've been engineer since TBC and it feels like all they do is nerf every possible item or enchant engineers have... It's like every other profession has something useful... JC gems, BS extra gem slots, etc. etc. and now engineers have nothing useful.

I'm not sure how Blizz can "fix" the rocket boosts for example, only time will tell probably... :-\

Patch 3.2 Welcome back Engineering!

I never saw Engineering as much of anything other than to have little extra things that were useful for levelling or cute mounts.

It currently still makes one of the better tanking guns, in the game. As well, it makes it possible to stack potions to 20 in one slot rather than taking up 4 slots...and also it helps to make repair bots, mailboxes, and many various cute things.

IMO blizz should just add like a helm enchant for engineers thats better than the glyphs right now. like adding a pair of goofy goggles on top of your most likely already goofy looking helm. Also yes my main (hunter) is an engineer =\.

Perhaps you should be patient and read blue posts on the front page.

"I hope that not too many of my fellow engineers dropped the profession because of this change. Cool things are on the way. Hang in there."

Quote Originally Posted by Cham
    Patch 3.2 Welcome back Engineering!
    I hope that the Blizz Gods hear u on that one Im not dropping it... iono why but im not dropping it lol

Crackaine- it's like crack for the sophisticated man.

Patch 3.1.2... RIP engineering you will be remember with fond memories for the edge you gave arena

Engineering was the worst in making money.. Engineering was the worst in pve... And now it sucks in pvp too... great job

15+ Year Old Account

Hey atleast you guys can make extra gem sockets.. wait that's BS.. Well you got sweet epic gems! No that advantage goes to JC.. ring enchants? special bracer enchants?..

Man sometimes blizzard makes no sense.. this is kinda like when they took away the ghostwolf snare break because it was too much like druids "core abilities".. that still pisses me off.. we were too much like a class that is based on other classes >.<

I guess having the best hand enchant really sucks....

I guess being able to extract motes really sucks....

Or making choppahs.....

Or Copters.....

Or repair bots.....

Or Healing/Mana injectors.....

Or Ammo boxes......

Yea, it all seems useless :P Funny thing is, I never used the boots, I use Engineering for the other factors other than an Arena advantage. I hope MORE PEOPLE Drop Engineering, so I am the only one to mine Deconstructor and Leviathan for some nice eternals/titansteel bars.

Quote Originally Posted by aovzaphod
    I guess having the best hand enchant really sucks....

I guess being able to extract motes really sucks....

Or making choppahs.....

Or Copters.....

Or repair bots.....

Or Healing/Mana injectors.....

Or Ammo boxes......

Yea, it all seems useless :P Funny thing is, I never used the boots, I use Engineering for the other factors other than an Arena advantage. I hope MORE PEOPLE Drop Engineering, so I am the only one to mine Deconstructor and Leviathan for some nice eternals/titansteel bars.
    Eng does not have the best hand enchant.

Mote extractor is a +.

Goggles are crappy

and the rest you mention are crap.

Eng is useless except for the mote extractor.

Quote Originally Posted by slrockin04
    Unfortunately Engineering became crappy early in the game.
    You mean Vanilla WoW, right? Like early in game, circa 2004 or 2005. When all we had were explosives or vanity pets. Or the shrink ray. Or did you mean when BC first came out, when there were no goggles or epic guns or mounts.

Oh wait, you mean now. Right. Engineering is dead now. With the mounts, and mote vaccuum, and decent starter epics and pretty decent hand "enchants" and the bullets and arrows. Still using the stupid tanking gun too. Yeah, it TOTALLY sucks now. Man, we should mourn this, the fourth or fifth death of engineering. You're right, I'm wearing an armband to work today.

I seriously don't get why the Engineering goggles lose their Stealth Detection bonus, when the JC Trinkets still give a Stealth bonus. I mean, if people really picked up Engineering just for that bonus, why doesn't the reverse hold true? After all, JC also offers you three super-powered gems per gear set.

Engineering was alive?

Why are engineers always complaining? They're like the Mages of professions. Uhg....
    (80) - (80)
    Proud Member of the MMO-Champion Community
    - Embrace Your Inner Geek - Gameplay First - Every Voice Matters - Learn & Grow -
    - Lead Responsibly - Commit To Quality - Play Nice, Play Fair - Think Globally -

Quote Originally Posted by CookieEater
    I seriously don't get why the Engineering goggles lose their Stealth Detection bonus, when the JC Trinkets still give a Stealth bonus. I mean, if people really picked up Engineering just for that bonus, why doesn't the reverse hold true? After all, JC also offers you three super-powered gems per gear set.
    its some secret blizz arena only server that people give up better items for the eng helm in pvp.
    I've heard stupid shit from blizzard but this was by for the dumbest.
    I wore Eng helms on my hunter and rogue in arena.. Why? because I didnt have better.... DOH!

Quote Originally Posted by Doddilus
    Engineering was alive?
    Nope, any reasonable engi has already gone JC.

Hyperspeed enchant for gloves is the best gloves enchants for Rogues, not sure about other classes.