Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Hodir - resistance

So, I've been told by my guild to get frost resistance gear crafted for Hodir 25, but I was wondering what level of resistance I should go for? I've got 120 base resist from talents + mage armour, and another 130 from frost aura, so I'm sitting on 250 base level with no FR gear.

I checked elitist jerks, and I think the optimum level is around 400 resist, but what about Hodir in particular? Would 250 be enough? Or should I pop on boots/belt and sit at around 420 resist?
    http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6

Re: Hodir - resistance

0 resist is what you need.
    It's not hard.
    Regardless, 480 is cap iirc.

Only the tank should be taking any considerable frost damage (frozen blows). There is no aoe aura or anything. If your dps/healers are standing in icicles consider replacing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasyn
    Only the tank should be taking any considerable frost damage (frozen blows). There is no aoe aura or anything. If your dps/healers are standing in icicles consider replacing them.
    There is an aoe aura during Frozen Blows. No resist gear is needed though outside of the MT.

Quote Originally Posted by shiftynou
    There is an aoe aura during Frozen Blows. No resist gear is needed though outside of the MT.
    This.
    A pally aura or FR Totem is more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by shiftynou
    I mean auras like Sapphiron, etc. A couple thousand damage for ~5% of the fight is nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasyn
    I mean auras like Sapphiron, etc. A couple thousand damage for ~5% of the fight is nothing to worry about.
    Unless you count Biting Cold.
    Only baddies get hit by that, though. =P

People once again missing the whole point. The OP likely doesn't care how 'pro' you all are for doing the fight without frost Res, same as with Saph, else he would have asked about it. Instead, he said his guild have ASKED him to get frost res gear so why not try to answer the question instead of flexing that tiny e-peen?

Hodir IS a healing intensive fight.
    Many guilds complete it without frost res all round (except tank) because it's also considered a Dps race, but some use it.

Typically for fights such as Saph, the 'suggested' resistance was all three crafted pieces and an aura/totem. That was ample and that would be all you'd need if that's what your guild want.

Unless you're planning on standing still the whole fight, none is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by NoHealsForYou
    People once again missing the whole point. The OP likely doesn't care how 'pro' you all are for doing the fight without frost Res, same as with Saph, else he would have asked about it. Instead, he said his guild have ASKED him to get frost res gear so why not try to answer the question instead of flexing that tiny e-peen?

Hodir IS a healing intensive fight.
    Many guilds complete it without frost res all round (except tank) because it's also considered a Dps race, but some use it.

Typically for fights such as Saph, the 'suggested' resistance was all three crafted pieces and an aura/totem. That was ample and that would be all you'd need if that's what your guild want.

Nobody flexed e-peen...
    We just said you don't need frost resist.
    If your raid is semi intelligent, the damage during frozen blows is negligible.

I never denied it, I said the OP wasn't asking whether or not people used it. If he cared, he would have asked.

Most of the posters here wanted to help the OP, by telling him that no frost resist is needed for a fight. If anything, frost resistance will hinder your group because he has a timer, so telling the OP not to use frost resist is helping him more than telling him he needs X amount of frost resist for a fight which doesn't need it.

I never denied it, I said the OP wasn't asking whether or not people used it. If he cared, he would have asked.
    The OP asked how much he should have.
    Considering most people I know run with an aura and nothing else, I said 0. Make sense?

It can be helpful for casters to wear one or two pieces but generally you will be finding and using those fire things so you won't take much damage. 400 is far too much and if you are already going to use Mage Armor then don't bother putting on any Fr gear. If they want you to wear more than that then they are placing too much value on resist.

You're still missing the point. His guild have told him to get resistance gear. I don't use res, you don't use res, but his guild does. So, instead of saying that you/I/we/us/whoever don't use it, perhaps answer his question? Who knows, maybe they lack raid healers in their guild so would like to slightly lessen the healing burden. I don't especially care, I just answer the damn question being asked.
    If I recall, I gave him the resistance cap.
    Also, the proper amount of resistance to use is NONE.
    I don't care if his guild asked him to get some. It's a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by lilbandit
    So, I've been told by my guild to get frost resistance gear crafted for Hodir 25, but I was wondering what level of resistance I should go for? I've got 120 base resist from talents + mage armour, and another 130 from frost aura, so I'm sitting on 250 base level with no FR gear.

I checked elitist jerks, and I think the optimum level is around 400 resist, but what about Hodir in particular? Would 250 be enough? Or should I pop on boots/belt and sit at around 420 resist?

To answer your question directly in a non-elitist manner...

You raid should be fine with 1 piece of frost resistance gear, outside of what you should already have stacked with frost aura. Arguably, with your base resist from talents and mage armor, you could probably skip your 1 piece, but 1 piece at the most should be sufficient.

It's somewhat common for guilds as they ease into this fight and gear up in Ulduar to use 1 piece of frost resist gear in addition to frost resistance aura. You may find as healers gear up more and get used to the demands of the fight that you can ease off the extra frost resistance piece of gear. But as you learn it, 1 additional piece of frost resist gear for the whole raid mitigates the damage significantly, without diminishing dps too severely (since the fight is a dps race with an enrage timer).

This is separate from advice for tanks, which will typically run 2 pieces of FR gear for 10-man, and 3 pieces of FR gear for 25-man because the frozen blows swings on the tank themselves are much more severe than the raid aura damage during that mini-phase of the fight.

I hope that helps a little! Good luck in there!
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Stormscale&n=Vexryn

all the replies have been helpful.

a) I'm new to the guild, so don't want to go around saying no to using FR
    b) I'm new to the fight, so don't know what is an appropriate amount of FR
    c) Healers are new to the fight

All the above means I want to run at least 1 piece of FR gear which puts me on around 340 frost resist. I think that's enough to be honest.

Thanks for all the input though guys.
    http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6

People once again missing the whole point. The OP likely doesn't care how 'pro' you all are for doing the fight without frost Res, same as with Saph, else he would have asked about it. Instead, he said his guild have ASKED him to get frost res gear so why not try to answer Hodir IS a healing intensive fight.the question instead of flexing that tiny e-peen?
    "So, i heard ignis and mimiron are healing intensive fights, and my guild says i need fire resist gear. How much should i get?

What? You say i need no fire resist? I don't care how pro you are, and that fire resist is completely unneeded! Stop flexing your epeen!"

You see what i did there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chin
    Garrosh would wage war against the ocean for not being made out of orcs.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by jarell88
    "So, i heard ignis and mimiron are healing intensive fights, and my guild says i need fire resist gear. How much should i get?

What? You say i need no fire resist? I don't care how pro you are, and that fire resist is completely unneeded! Stop flexing your epeen!"

You see what i did there?
    Omg you don't use fire ress for ignis?!?! You must be pro.

The enrage timer on Hodir is a complete joke. If you are doing the fight correctly (read: freeing mobs which cast insane buffs) your dps will be quite high. If your guild wants to ensure good attempts as they being progress on the fight in easy mode, less dps to help people live though the frozen blows seems a fair trade. Ideally, dps and healers will not have to wear the gear in subsequent kills.