Thread: Backdraft

Backdraft

I just hit 80 on my lock about 2 weeks ago and was looking to try out destro, but I had some questions after trying it. I'm using 3/13/55 because I'm having trouble getting hit capped.

Anyway what do you guys do when you get backdraft if chaos bolt is off cooldown or immolate is about to fall off the target?

Re: Backdraft

Cast immolate thne follow with incinerates

Quote Originally Posted by mattzilla42
    I just hit 80 on my lock about 2 weeks ago and was looking to try out destro, but I had some questions after trying it. I'm using 3/13/55 because I'm having trouble getting hit capped.

Anyway what do you guys do when you get backdraft if chaos bolt is off cooldown or immolate is about to fall off the target?
    The cast priority doesn't change when you have the backdraft buff. The dpct of your all your abilities scale with haste the same. Longer spells don't get more benefit, higher damage spells don't get more benefit.

So cast preference is:
    Conflag
    Immolate
    Chaos Bolt
    Life Tap (only as needed).
    Incinerate

So to answer your specific question, you would cast immo, incin, incin.

Quote Originally Posted by mattzilla42

First of all make sure you have the conflag glyph. (with that you dont consume the immolate if you conflag)

then you start like this
    CoD/CoE
    Immolate
    Conflag
    Chaosbolt
    Incins as fillers.
    Form this point you just hit CB and Conflag when they come of cooldown and make sure your immolate is always up. and lifetap when needed.

other glyph i can recommend are Immolate and Incinerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachchairs
    The cast priority doesn't change when you have the backdraft buff. The dpct of your all your abilities scale with haste the same. Longer spells don't get more benefit, higher damage spells don't get more benefit.
    That doesn't sound right to me. I've been thinking that longer spells in fact do get more benefit than shorter ones.

IE, let's create a fictional rotation and spellset here. Let's say backdraft is the same, and you don't have to refresh immo or even apply it.. So you just have conf on say a 20 sec cooldown. Let's even drop the GCD of conf entirely so we can make the math easy. And to make it further easier, let's say backdraft is just two charges, and conf does no damage. Let's also just change the haste to 100% (IE, reduces cast time by 50%)

Suppose you have two spells, bolt1 and bolt2, identical dpct. Bolt1 takes 2.5 sec to cast, bolt2 takes 5 sec to cast. Bolt1 hits for 2500, bolt2 hits for 5000.

Now, suppose you're nuking without conf. If you spam bolt1, you do 1000 dps. If you spam bolt2, you do 1000 dps. Over the 20 seconds of a conf cooldown, you do 20,000 damage regardless of which spell you cast.

Now, let's add conf and backdraft, to test.
    If you go conf->bolt1spam, you will get 2 casts in the time you would have cast 1, so you do one bolt more during the 20sec duration. IE, you do 2500 more damage.
    However, if you go conf->bolt2spam, you will do 5000 more damage over the duration.

That sound right?
    Basic idea in my head is that backdraft hastes you ~42.86% (1.0/0.7). If it had no charges and you used it on cooldown, it would just be a permanent 42.86% haste buff.. As it is, the duration is tied to which spells you choose to cast. IE, if you cast 3 1.5sec spells, you're hasted for 4.5 seconds of the 10. If you cast 3 3 sec spells, you're hasted almost the entire time. Assuming the DPS/DPCT of each spell is the same, the longer casts will provide more benefit.

Oh and to the OP: Glowena's got it right. I wouldn't worry about chaos bolt, just cast it if it's up. It's just a slightly better filler than incin. You could even /castrandom incin, CB and probably not even notice the difference. ;P

One thing to note is that conflag can proc pyrocasm. With this in mind I like to wait on CoD until after I conflag, for a potential 6% increased damage to it.