Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast

Re: Shadow Priest 51-talent

Quote Originally Posted by Kaesebrezen
    I didn't bother testing it after 3.1.2, because it still didn't work on Ignis Pot and Kologarns arm.
    But good to know, although Vezax HM doesn't have any clouds.
    I think it's kinda lame they seem to pick what it does affect, and what it doesn't from encounter to encounter.

Though concerning Vezax HM, the whole point is that there is no mana regen. That's what makes it hard mode. For normal, were it's allowed Dispersion rocks.

new 51 pointer: Shadow Zone

like we see all over this game, the black circle on the ground

could tick doing damage and slow them 80% while they're on it (if you put it under someone in pvp, could also be cool strategy wise to time an entangling root on them then shadow zone under them)

also useful in pve, put it under a boss, make the damage scale so that it does full damage (say 5k every 2 sec) if theres one hostile target on the zone, then half it if theres 2 hostile targets on the zone etc. lasts for 15 sec, 3min cd.

thoughts?

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Like a 10% reduced damage on Titan's Grip? Like a lolstorm? Or Chaos Bolt? There are a lot of talents out there that aren't as good as they seem, but definitely have their reasons for being spec'd into.

So what, you say you spec Discipline like 90% of the priest population for Arena? Good for you. Now quit your bitching.
    What they are trying to say is, while dispersion is as useful as all of these 51 pointers in a way, it's not really as fun as them.

I can't believe this discussion is still going on.

Dispersion isn't a bad ability, it's useful in both PvE & PvP applications and at the end of the day it costs all of 1 talent point. I can't think of a single talent i'd rather have for 1 point than dispersion.

If you believe Dispersion is bad then you must also believe that 31, 41 & 51 point talents must be better than the preceeding talents. Blizzard have stated on numerous occasions that the bottom tier talents don't recieve special inflation values just because they are at the end of the tree. If you disagree with that philosophy then change the discussion to that topic. For the current game structure there is nothing wrong with dispersion.

If you think Dispersion is fine as a talent but has little use in practical situations I say you're not very imaginative. First dispersion is great to have for chain pulling trash and while people say trash doesnt matter they are probably the same people that take 4 hours to clear naxx. Clearing trash quickly and effeciently is one of the major skills top guilds maximise to get extra boss attempts in. You don't want to do an Uld raid and spend 80% of your time on the trash... you want to spend that time attempting or clearing bosses and to do that you need to clear trash.

Dispersion is also good at staying alive in PvE, I use it in the Ignis Pot (and don't have any issues like others have reported), it's useful for Mimiron, particularly if i'm tanking the areial unit (which I do occasionally), it can be useful for Freya (particularly hard mode when the detonating adds just wont leave you alone), Kologarn grip (again I don't notice an issue), it's certainly useful for Yogg-Saron and as people pointed out you can use it in Saronite clouds. These examples are just for the 90% damage reduction, you also get the benefit of using it for 36% of your mana back if for some reason you are going oom. I know on Mimiron & Yogg-Saron my mana pool is slightly stretched and there are heaps of opportunties to use Dispersion in those encounters without losing any dps.

If anything i'd suggest Dispersion is slightly lacklustre for PvP... I still believe you should be able to cast during the effect because unlike Pally Bubble and Iceblock you are not immune to ablities. This means you can still be countered with stuns, silences, counterspells & interrupts. The whole fear of priests popping a defensive cooldown to offensively beat opponents is completely unwarranted.

In any case, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the talent when you compare it to the talent tree philosophy. If you want the talent tree philosophy to change then discuss that topic.

I think I managed to use Dispersion five or six times on a single Yogg-Saron attempt today. That's along with having Shadowfiend on constant cooldown for almost ten minutes, and using mana potions.

I usually use it when going between Crusher Tenacles, or back'n'forth to Sanity wells, so no dps lost.

Tell me how to keep my mana up without these abilities again? lol.

Replace Dispersion with an offensive ability and shadow pvp will go extinct. I use dispersion on a rogues opening moves, to make it blow vanish.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by thantos
    Replace Dispersion with an offensive ability and shadow pvp will go extinct. I use dispersion on a rogues opening moves, to make it blow vanish.
    You mean "to make it wait 6 seconds and THEN kidneyshot you" instead of "make it blow vanish".
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

My idea was to change Dispersion just slightly to make it much cooler.

While active you deal X shadow damage every second to any enemy within 10y of you.

Now instead of being a pansy merely trying to extend your miserable life, you become a cloud of shadowy death and destruction, your own moveable AoE. And IF the opponents melee insist on still attempting to kill you, they get to take the damage for their efforts. I imagine the damage similar to Mind Sear.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by thethain
    My idea was to change Dispersion just slightly to make it much cooler.

While active you deal X shadow damage every second to any enemy within 10y of you.

Now instead of being a pansy merely trying to extend your miserable life, you become a cloud of shadowy death and destruction, your own moveable AoE. And IF the opponents melee insist on still attempting to kill you, they get to take the damage for their efforts. I imagine the damage similar to Mind Sear.
    Ahh, I can see it clearly.

[blizzquote author="LOLGC"]Dispersion: now automatically channels Mind Sear on yourself while active[/blizzquote]

Would rock for both pve and pvp.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

I think it's great ability, but it's just a tiny bit weaker than it should be. I think it would be great if they either added back some of the HP regen, made it increase movement speed, or allow you to heal or use holy spells in it without removing shadowform...

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    Ahh, I can see it clearly.

[blizzquote author="LOLGC"]Dispersion: now automatically channels Mind Sear on yourself while active[/blizzquote]

Would rock for both pve and pvp.
    Yea, Thats basically the idea, Would make for 6 seconds of free AoE in PvE (actually much cheaper than free since itd give you tons of mana back amiright?) and make it be able to be used offensively and be an even more powerful defensive tool in PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    I think I managed to use Dispersion five or six times on a single Yogg-Saron attempt today.
    A 3 minutes Cooldown Spell on a 15 Min Enrage Fight? And even manapots? Shadowfiend on constant CD?
    I didn't need to use it even once on a normal Yogg Kill. Shadowfiend and Spirit:Tap from tentacle kills were more than enough to keep me up, even with sleeping dispellers who left a full duration poison on me.

I use it in the Ignis Pot, it's useful for Mimiron, particularly if i'm tanking the areial unit, it can be useful for Freya, Kologarn grip
    Well. Slag Pot and Kologarn are the least useful if you have decent Healers. (Ignis and Kologarn are one of the easiest encounter in Ulduar, both without a Hardmode, and our Healers are getting bored if mages for example would use their block )
    But on the abilities you really could need it, it doesn't work. Freya Roots, Light Bomb and Tantrum on XT. And some more.
    On Vezax hard there aren't even clouds to use it for.
    Occasionally Tanking? Get active Warlocks, Soul Link and 20% more Healing Taken combined with more HP, and you don't need it here.
    And the Freya adds will leave you alone if you do it right.
    So the number of Fights the damage reduction is useful can be reduced to Zero.

these examples are just for the 90% damage reduction, you also get the benefit of using it for 36% of your mana back if for some reason you are going oom.
    As stated above, the damage reduction isn't nearly as useful as you think.
    And as you stated, you need the regen only on 2!!! out of 14 fights.
    And i don't need it, and many others, in any of those fights.

So what do we really get as a 51-Point talent?

For PvE, with Ulduar the current endgame content, useless damage reduction and mana regeneration for many, many, many shadowpriests out there.
    But at least some here have a use for it -.-

For PvP, a talent that is lackluster, helps you to stay alive for merely 6 more seconds, while you can't to damage, nor help your teammates, nor be of any use at all, for a non competitive PvP-Spec, that a handful who haven't given up shadow as a PvP spec enjoy.
    And a reminder: For PvP, spec Disc!

And for that reason i'm testing out this:http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bVcbuZZGxfVRfzcfqfzA
    And as it currently stands after some testing, dispersion is probably never going to come back to me.

A 3 minutes Cooldown Spell on a 15 Min Enrage Fight? And even manapots? Shadowfiend on constant CD?
    I didn't need to use it even once on a normal Yogg Kill. Shadowfiend and Spirit:Tap from tentacle kills were more than enough to keep me up, even with sleeping dispellers who left a full duration poison on me.
    ST & IST is a waste of 5 points, particularly when you evaluate the BiS uld gear, there is very little spirit which makes the dps component of this talent poor at best. Instead I get to pick up Shadow Affinity & Imp VE. Before you get on your band wagon and tell me threat reduction is useless, i'm the only caster not crying about being threat capped for Hodir hard mode attempts. I can also AoE extremely aggressively and I have 0 threat issues for Vezax... in other words i'm getting a lot more value with this talent than ST.

I'd argue if you weren't chaining fiend & dispersion then you probably aren't casting enough spells... either your raid has some awesome dps in which case you don't have to do much or you're one of those people in the raid the raid leader is constantly yelling at that there is a crusher tenticle up and why isn't the dps hitting it.

Well. Slag Pot and Kologarn are the least useful if you have decent Healers.
    You might choose to look at your screen and do nothing, I on the other hand cast dispersion and get some sort of effective action out of these events.

But on the abilities you really could need it, it doesn't work. Freya Roots, Light Bomb and Tantrum on XT. And some more.
    On Vezax hard there aren't even clouds to use it for.
    I stand corrected on slag pot & kologarn grip, but i'm extremely sure last time I popped dispersion on Tantrum it reduced damage. Normally I don't need to coz I have Imp VE but I happened to have a gravity bomb on me at the time and we were doing hard mode which meant it spawned an add which I had to get in a specific place. I don't remember being snared but that could be bad memory.

I agree that if we get a talent that reduces damage by 90% then it should do just that. Not sure if these events are working as intended or not, i know if you pop dispersion after a spell has left the hand it doesnt work on that incomming spell. Perhaps its the same deal for these events? If so it makes the spell limited and should be fixed.

Occasionally Tanking? Get active Warlocks, Soul Link and 20% more Healing Taken combined with more HP, and you don't need it here.
    We have 1 lock in our raid who's dps spec doesn't include nether protection... if the lock doesn't have nether protection spriests are the better option. We take 15% reduced damage and heal for 25% of our dps (if you spec into Imp VE which you should). The only issue is poor threat gen but even with that I get more than enough of a threat lead by phase 4 that its insignificant.

And the Freya adds will leave you alone if you do it right.
    Detonating ones don't have a threat table and multiple mobs can target you at the same time. We have taken to only killing what one of our tanks is targeting which mitigates this problem. However on hard mode they all blow up for a lot more damage and it wouldn't hurt to have dispersion up your sleeve.

So the number of Fights the damage reduction is useful can be reduced to Zero.
    Wrong... i suppose pallys don't need to use their bubble, might as well remove that spell as well.

As stated above, the damage reduction isn't nearly as useful as you think.
    And as you stated, you need the regen only on 2!!! out of 14 fights.
    And i don't need it, and many others, in any of those fights.
    It's 1 talent point, can you please enlighten me where you can get better value in the tree for 1 point?

So what do we really get as a 51-Point talent?

For PvE, with Ulduar the current endgame content, useless damage reduction and mana regeneration for many, many, many shadowpriests out there.
    But at least some here have a use for it -.-

For PvP, a talent that is lackluster, helps you to stay alive for merely 6 more seconds, while you can't to damage, nor help your teammates, nor be of any use at all, for a non competitive PvP-Spec, that a handful who haven't given up shadow as a PvP spec enjoy.
    And a reminder: For PvP, spec Disc!

And for that reason i'm testing out this:http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bVcbuZZGxfVRfzcfqfzA
    And as it currently stands after some testing, dispersion is probably never going to come back to me.

[/quote]

Dispersion is a mediocre a 51pt talent, it is the only 51pt talent that doesn't do damage. (besides healers of course)

Here is what i wrote up on a post on wow forums.
    1. Keep Dispersion as 51pt Talent, Give it a Glyph to heal for as much mana it returns.

2. New 41 Pt talent.

Name: -*******

For the next 20 seconds you deal 10% more damage with your shadow spells receive 100% extra healing from VE and you next fear will not break on damage.

Move VT to where VE is, make IMP VE baseline for VE and move VE to the side of VT as an optional talent.

Shadow affinity, if swp dispelled, make it like UA, but weaker and no silence, VT gives mana return and Devouring plague heals you for 100% of full duration of spell.

Fade makes u Immune to ALL cc for its duration, make fade only last 5 sec in PvP as opposed to PvE duration.

Reduced silence and stun time imbued into Imp Shadowform 10/20% on stuns 20/40% on Silences.(Imp shadow form needs a tooltip as big as shadowform, amrite?)

Psychic scream to 5/10sec off its untalented cooldown.

VE is a self buff, also reduces damage from critical strikes by 10%, not dispelable.

Any number of these changes will make shadow a better tree.
    Imo alot of great ideas for PvP Spriest with slight PvE Buffs.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Strykie

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    It's 1 talent point, can you please enlighten me where you can get better value in the tree for 1 point?
    Sure. Shadowform and Vampiric Touch and Vampiric Embrace.
    All of them the prerequisite for Dispersion.

Before you get on your band wagon and tell me threat reduction is useless, i'm the only caster not crying about being threat capped for Hodir hard mode attempts.
    I had a spec with Shadow affanity and improved VE before instead of SpiritTap. Now with my new spec i'm still the caster with the no aggro problems on Hodir Hardmode. (And no, i'm not doing no damage nor to few casts)
    And on Yogg there are so many little tentacles that give you normal Spirit:Tab for regen, i think proccing spirit tab vs. sitting in dispersion and stop dealing damage ....

Wrong... i suppose pallys don't need to use their bubble, might as well remove that spell as well.
    Retris don't use it because of avenging wrath, and Protection don't use it because of .... Holy's aren't DD's, but will use it to continue healing.
    AND bubble is free, gives complete immunity, and allows you to contine casting.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Strykzor
    Dispersion is a mediocre a 51pt talent, it is the only 51pt talent that doesn't do damage. (besides healers of course)
    Shadow dance does damage?
    Hunger for blood does damage?
    Beast Mastery does damage?
    Deep Freeze does damage?

What's sad about Dispersion is was meant to be defensive pvp ability and it ended up one of the best PvE talents we can get. That makes Shadow Priest hard to die on encounters, has mana regen in times when there's "Oh shit " situation at the encounter and so on. However, in PvP - Dispersion just fails, it'd be 10x better if we were able to throw it on someone else.

15+ Year Old Account

Deep Freeze does damage?
    Apart from beast mastery, the 51 pointers you listed are offensive talents, dispersion is pretty much one of the few defensive talents.

Deep Freeze does damage?
    HEY GUISE, SHADOWFORM DOESN'T DO DAMAGE EITHER, CLEARLY A DEFENSIVE TALENT RITE?

There is hardly a spriest on this wreched forum that knows how to play.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Strykie

You included, retard. Just gtfo already, you proved you're an idiot many times, why the hell are you sticking around anyway?