Nitroxide

Mana efficency in pvp

I don't play priest but its a class im looking at building on (not just because FoTM)

Anyway i was playing one of my mates priests the other day and i just find that its really easy to go oom when fighting 1v1.

I will be straight foward, whats a good amount of mana to have and also are some spells not as efficent (and worse possibly) than others.

thanks for your time!

priest newb out.

Re: Mana efficency in pvp

Well I'm assuming you're disc. Make sure you are casting Penance on yourself. Bubble + Penance is an awesome way to recover pretty much half your health VERY quickly while hurting them with reflective shield. Another tip, make sure you're not overhealing yourself. try and heal only really when you need it, with the heal most proper to the speed and type of damage you're taking...without putting yourself in danger of dying of course.

In PVP you have to use pretty much all your spells even if they aren't the most efficient. I'm sure many priests still cast PoM on themselves knowing it will only get used once just because it pretty much negates an attack. Now that's not the most efficient thing but it's a life saver.

Bottom line is, in PVP mana goes fast. All you can do really is just make sure your spec/glyphs are good, and make sure you have decent PVP gear. You'll go OOM from healing yourself so damn much without any resilience. When you do have a decent PVP set it should be somewhere around 17k mana I think, and around 23k hp. You could definitely get better but I would say that's a moderate setup. Also, regen gear is very very important in PVP. A full crit set, while awesome for PVE disc healing, is not going to let you last in a PVP fight, so pick up the spirit PVP gear.

EX - <PIE CHART> US TOP 10 Check 'em out http://piechart-guild.com/

Nitroxide

Quote Originally Posted by G l o w y r m
    Well I'm assuming you're disc. Make sure you are casting Penance on yourself. Bubble + Penance is an awesome way to recover pretty much half your health VERY quickly while hurting them with reflective shield. Another tip, make sure you're not overhealing yourself. try and heal only really when you need it, with the heal most proper to the speed and type of damage you're taking...without putting yourself in danger of dying of course.

In PVP you have to use pretty much all your spells even if they aren't the most efficient. I'm sure many priests still cast PoM on themselves knowing it will only get used once just because it pretty much negates an attack. Now that's not the most efficient thing but it's a life saver.

Bottom line is, in PVP mana goes fast. All you can do really is just make sure your spec/glyphs are good, and make sure you have decent PVP gear. You'll go OOM from healing yourself so damn much without any resilience. When you do have a decent PVP set it should be somewhere around 17k mana I think, and around 23k hp. You could definitely get better but I would say that's a moderate setup. Also, regen gear is very very important in PVP. A full crit set, while awesome for PVE disc healing, is not going to let you last in a PVP fight, so pick up the spirit PVP gear.
    thanks,good reply

Make good use of your tools.
    Don't save Pain Supression for when your health is low because then it is of no use. Use a lot of bubble. Fighting a DK always keep your Abolish Disease on, and use lots and lots of dispel. Instant cast spells cost much less mana when specced properly. Just play and play until you know what to expect from every class, and you will be able to deal with most of 'em

There's tons of great threads here that can help you, so I'll just throw out what is imo the biggest rule for efficiency as a disc healer: You don't have to heal the damage you don't take. Becoming pro at pillar-humping and LoS can do wonders.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Yeah use your cooldowns as soon as possible pretty much. Like Pahus said use Pain Supp when you know there's big damage incoming, not after it. You would probably have the talent to lower your cooldowns too so the earlier you use the the more chance you have of using them a 2nd time.

Bigslick has a good point too. Stay on the move, within reason of course, and try to LOS whenever you can.

One thing I do, I like to use Pain Supp right after a bubble. It keeps the bubble on me longer so I my spells don't get knocked back for a longer period of time. Totally situational though.

EX - <PIE CHART> US TOP 10 Check 'em out http://piechart-guild.com/

Deleted

As far as weapons go, you'd propably have to pve for that.

If it is available to you, [item]Torch of Holy Fire[/item] is defenatly a good choice, but I run with [item]Staff of Restraint[/item] and I have no issues, in my pvp gear I am at 18,4k mana 1900sp, 20% holycrit and 600 resi..

I dont pvp very often, I raid, If i'm bored with that I level an alt, then I pvp.. so dont take my advice on pvp for granted at least from a wotlk pov I was a hardcore shadowpriest pvper in tbc ^^

Dont manaburn too much, Used to manaburn alot b4 but ended ur running oom just as fast as the one getting manaburned.. 3-4 burns in a game can be gamebreaking but when you can easy spend too much mana on it imo.
    Well thats from my exp doesnt mean its the same for others ;p
    Depends on your playstyle much too.
    Also dont offence disspel too much, ALOT of trashbuffs out there now..

Quote Originally Posted by Agrin
    Dont manaburn too much, Used to manaburn alot b4 but ended ur running oom just as fast as the one getting manaburned.. 3-4 burns in a game can be gamebreaking but when you can easy spend too much mana on it imo.
    Well thats from my exp doesnt mean its the same for others ;p
    Depends on your playstyle much too.
    Also dont offence disspel too much, ALOT of trashbuffs out there now..
    ^^

It's easy to get tunnel-visioned into that offensive role. Be particularly careful w/ pally healers - if they're prot spec, you're only hurting yourself. Resto druids are iffy too, given their innervate (and if you see them pop barkskin, don't even waste your mana) and ease with which they can drink. Sometimes mana burning the healer (or dps) is the best thing to do, but don't let you or your partner get too low on health to accomplish it.

If you can catch your target in the open, though, nothing beats a power-infused (or heroism'd) series of mana burns.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic