Destruction: When there isn't enough time for another Curse of Doom...

I'm 3/13/55 and I always open a fight with Curse of Doom. (as suggested both here and on elitist jerks) But my question is, when you're nearing the end of the fight and you KNOW that there won't be time left for another doom, what do you do?

1) Just forget curses all together
    2) Switch to agony

Or, when you are doing a quick fight and won't have time for doom, such as the heart phase on XT, what is the best option for dps

1) don't curse at all
    2) use agony

Thanks in advance for the input!

Re: Destruction: When there isn't enough time for another Curse of Doom...

Haven't PvE'd in a while...

but simply compare the time spent (Global Cooldown vs. ~2 sec cast) and compare the damage done.

Personally I just forget it all together if I know the fight will end within less then a min, such as heart phase. Also, I always try to put up curse of doom after a conflag to get pyroclasm benefeit.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Screecher
    Personally I just forget it all together if I know the fight will end within less then a min, such as heart phase. Also, I always try to put up curse of doom after a conflag to get pyroclasm benefeit.
    This is a good idea. It might not be the best idea (agony is still a dps gain) but the difference between trying and settling is so trivial, so why try?

R.I.P. YARG

CoA does pathetic DPS, worse than Corruption.

I CoD and when theres no time for another I just don't bother with any curses.
    FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

CoA has one of the highest DPCT of any of your spells. If you have 24 seconds, like on trash mobs or the heart, definitely use CoA. If it's less than 18 seconds probably not worth it.
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

Not worth the GCD. I forget curses aside from CoD and use the time for another incinerate or whatever.

I usually throw up a CoE, it helps the other spell DPS so why not.
    - Khody is the Lord and God of the Forums. When spoken to, you may only refer to him as the following:
    'Lord Khody'
    'My Liege'
    'The One True King'
    'God'

I have a fun idea. You give a general rule, and I'll make a bunch of counter-factual statements until I've found a specific situation (that really isn't that interesting to be honest) in which the application is marginally changed and then I'll jump around triumphantly that I've undermined your rule. Go!
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

This is terrible! It looks like the general consensus is..

Bwuh?

Well I will not be doing elements because its already covered by other classes in my raid.

I'll keep checking back to see if there's more information.

So far the count is:
    Don't Curse III
    Agony I
    Elements I

So I guess Don't Curse is winning. :P

While it is true that some dmg is better than no dmg at all, I would say that CoA over using nothing is situational. I use it on DPSing the heart for XT hard mode as well as throwing up on Life Sparks along with corruption. Other spots where it is useful include phase 1 of Yogg where movement can make casted spells a pain or fights where there are adds that are off-tanked and dpsed while the main focus is usually on the boss, I.E. hard mode XT or dpsing the bots in Mimiron phase 3.

As a rule I usually reserve CoA for boss fight situations where I have to move or dps offtanked adds and stick with CoD when I dont have to move. I rarely ever use a CoA with less than a minute on a boss fight, I tend to still throw CoD up in the off chance that disaster strikes and everyones dead but a couple DS'd pallies with less than a % left. lol. Don't act like everyone hasn't seen that happen at least once.

In general the extra dps you will see from 24 seconds of CoA is going to come up very minimally in a 6-8 minute boss fight.

As for the person who said to use CoE, that's just asinine. You should pretty much never be wasting a GCD on CoE unless you absolutely need it. In which case you should have never been casting CoD in the first place.

15+ Year Old Account

For someone in decent gear, the DPCT for Incinerate is around 5000 and the DPCT for Agony is around 8000. Expand this out for 12k Agony and 10k Incinerate

Lets say you fight a boss who dies on the last tick of your second agony. That's 48 seconds.

If you were to do absolutely nothing but spam incinerate, that would result in 10 x 24 = 240k damage (5000 dps)

If you were to use Agony twice and spam incinerate: 12k + 12k + (22.5 x 10k) = 249k
    (for sake of fairness I let Incinerate get off a half cast. Pretend its a searing pain crit or something.)

249 / 48 = 5187.5 dps.

So is a MAXIMUM of 200 dps for 48 seconds worth it to you? It isn't to me. I drop curses.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by Sindershock
    CoA does pathetic DPS, worse than Corruption.

I CoD and when theres no time for another I just don't bother with any curses.
    Wrong information is wrong, CoA will do more damage than Corruption.

Because it ticks for less, doesn't mean it does less damage. A few facts..

1. CoA ticks every 2 seconds.
    2) CoA lasts longer.

I personally also forget about curses when there isn't enough time left.. Reasons?

My incinerates will do only slightly less damage than CoA, but will have a chance to crit.
    Sometimes, there's no even enough time for CoA to run its full duration.

The increase in damage will be close to nothing.. So I'd rather just continue my normal rotation instead of checking into detail wether CoA will be better or not.(Use of theorycraft add-ons such as Dr Damage can allow this.. but even then, it's too much bother).

Keep in mind this only applies to less than 40-50 seconds of a boss fight.. The overall damage gain is likely to be less than 2k..

If it's under a minute, I usually guess whether or not there's going to be time for a full CoA to go off.

If there is, I try and throw one up.

Otherwise, I continue merrily jamming my 4 key.
    I'm your maker, not thy saviour.

15+ Year Old Account

IMO, when there is less than 1 min remaining, instead of dropping Agony, treat it like Corruption - cast it while moving.

R.I.P. YARG

when there is not enough time for cod to hit i use coa when i have to move
    if i don't for the rest of the fight i don't curse anymore

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Why is opening with CoD better than doing it after the Immo, Conflag, CB opener? You get a chance to proc Pyroclasm and trinkets that way.