Excesso

All those other MMO's

Either if you wanna read all this or not, check out the trailer(link at the bottom) anyway, i think its awesom. Especially from 2:30-3:00.

There was AoC wich i think we can agree, didn't really make an impact in the MMO-genre. There was LotRO wich i think was the most solid alternative to WoW, and the only (I think) MMO since WoW to have an expansion. There was WAR wich focused on PVP and tbh i don't know how well it is doing these days. Soon there is AION wich I know only little about and now to the reason of this post: Star Wars - The Old republic.

I never played Star Wars Galaxies, so I can't say much about Star Wars as an MMO. The game's big thing atm is that it will be an MMO build on story. I have played both the KotOR games and i loved them, but how do you think story will work in a MMO?
    They say that each class will have a unique story that will develop through the game and be effected by every choise the player make. Suposibly it will not be anything like another MMO has seen before; it have more debth and length, so its not just a "starting area" for each class, but even at points in the game where classes must work together, each class and each player have its own view on the problem at hand.

I think it sounds like something that could be really great, but it doesn't sound much like an MMO. Bioware is behind the game and they have produced some solid games, but will this be too much?

Discuss please.

Game's website: www.swtor.com
    Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4iL5uUDf5I

Re: All those other MMO's

What game are we talking about again?

AoC?
    LOTRO?
    Star Wars?
    KOTRO?

What?

SWTOR? What is it? More explanation on game plzkthnx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowf0x
    math has nothing to do with a game that is based on RNG.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Excesso
    Either if you wanna read all this or not, check out the trailer(link at the bottom) anyway, i think its awesom. Especially from 2:30-3:00.

There was AoC wich i think we can agree, didn't really make an impact in the MMO-genre. There was LotRO wich i think was the most solid alternative to WoW, and the only (I think) MMO since WoW to have an expansion. There was WAR wich focused on PVP and tbh i don't know how well it is doing these days. Soon there is AION wich I know only little about and now to the reason of this post: Star Wars - The Old republic.

I never played Star Wars Galaxies, so I can't say much about Star Wars as an MMO. The game's big thing atm is that it will be an MMO build on story. I have played both the KotOR games and i loved them, but how do you think story will work in a MMO?
    They say that each class will have a unique story that will develop through the game and be effected by every choise the player make. Suposibly it will not be anything like another MMO has seen before; it have more debth and length, so its not just a "starting area" for each class, but even at points in the game where classes must work together, each class and each player have its own view on the problem at hand.

I think it sounds like something that could be really great, but it doesn't sound much like an MMO. Bioware is behind the game and they have produced some solid games, but will this be too much?

Discuss please.

Game's website: www.swtor.com
    Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4iL5uUDf5I
    How about we discuss that this wont be out for 2 years shall we?

Aions battle mechanic is weaker than wows.
    And SWTOR is resident online its not even the same genre as most of the mmorpgs.

I think i'll be getting Cataclysm... Unless Lucas Art makes Yoda a raid boss.....

That looks awsome but WOW is more m style.

Deleted

ay.. im rolling protocol droid!

BEEP BEEP BUP!

Deleted

AOC could have been nice, but it failed horribly, went to take a look there recently and the 12 people still playing it still think it is gonna "zomg destroy wow".

War was decent but it had too many flawed concepts, like those public quests, they are fun 3 times, then they are just boring, same with city siege, its fun 3 times, not much replay value, also the game is horribly unbalanced, theres only like 4 classes that are good, and the "good" side is way overpowered and can facerol lthe other side every time, hence theres almost no people left there either.

Lotro is a different game, it has some very well worked out concepts, and it plays very nice, the downside may be that it is very very casual, at endgame theres a few dungeons and 2 or 3 raids that can be pugged by anyone as long as you have the proper (radiance) gear. Theres quite a few people still playing it though.
    The only thing is that if you live in the EU, don't play it, because codemasters support / gm's are absolutely the most horrible ever in an mmo (still don't understand why turbine does not just ditch codemasters).

Aion, seems big in asia, but also seems very asian and unappealing to western players, think this will go the same way as aoc in europe/usa, no pve servers means i am not even gonna give it a try.

SWTOR, could very well be a very succesfull mmo, especially since Bioware, one of the best, if not the best, game studios of the past years are developing it, also with lucas arts backing them up. The only thing i am afraid of is EA's hand, i seriously hope they won't let EA fuck it up to turn it into another one of their trash-games.

Cataclysm, there is only one reason needed to buy this, there is a blizzard logo on the box. Any game that has a blizzard logo on the box will still be instantly bought by me without question