Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

How powerful are players within the world of warcraft supposed to be?

And I mean lore wise. Do we even exist? I don't find a lot of references to players within the game, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough. Who was it that defeated the Burning Legion and vanquished the lich king? We only ever seem to be called "Adventurers"

How powerful is an "Adventurer"? Are we legendarily powerful heroes almost capable of anything, the likes of Tirion and Thrall? Or are we simply a peoples militia? general mercs for hire.

What do you think?

General mercs i'd say

Deleted
    General mercs for hire in stupid, yet irritatingly practical outfits.

I think we are some kind of special forces. Stronger than the "normal armies" but lot weaker than the lorewise important persons.

Also you have to compare the strength with enemies on equivalent gear and character level. If you want to compare "an adventurer" with Kael'tas, you have to imagine him as level 70 in ~magtheridon - tempest keep gear.

Deleted
    I think we are about the same powerful as a lore character. Not the most important ones. Let me use a druid example. Malfurion supposed to be the top one. We are far less powerful, but we might be close to Broll Bearmantle. Our names never shows in the lore because we are millions of players. Whose name would you link with the big boss kills? However there are some items in the game with player name connections. I don't play TCG but I know about hero cards. We should be about the same as those. Remember this quest: http://www.wowhead.com/quest=11727/a-time-for-heroes ?
    If I understand it well, they call us heroes who lead armies.
    Shatari Skyguards call us top guns after we reach exa and complete quests with them.

A raid as we know it ingame is a non existant thing in lore. We actually better than 1 man in the army. The Lich King probably wasn't defeated by 25 man group + Tirion. Rather by 2-3 mid level heroes + Tirion while a whole army fought against little minions. In the game we form bigger teams to make it more interesting, since its not a single player game. Also the boss fights as a lore event should be about as long as the Illidan vs Arthas fight was in the game or only a bit longer. Definitly not 10 minute / boss.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicc View Post
    However there are some items in the game with player name connections. I don't play TCG but I know about hero cards. We should be about the same as those.
    It's possible in exceptional circumstances and if you're lucky within the TCG to have your character made into a card.

Tim Riviera - Timriv the Enforcer http://www.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cardid=3884
    Simon Key - Master Sergeant Simon McKey http://www.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cardid=4311
    Me :-) - Gerrunge the Sadist http://www.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cardid=6755

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Adventurer

Think this entry on wowpedia says it all, really.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Deleted
    Elite mercs.

10+ Year Old Account
    We fight for gold and loot. I'd say we're mercs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    We're like the equivalent of an elite task force, nowhere near Tirion or Thrall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

We are Generic Units. Cannon Fodder. Nothing.

We only win through sheer numbers and the uncanny ability to reappear at the nearest graveyard when we die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post

We only win through sheer numbers and the uncanny ability to reappear at the nearest graveyard when we die.
    Nah. Thats the footmen and grunts.

I'd say we're more akin to the Captain unit that accompanied Arthas and Jaina in WC3.

(Who later on turned out to be a boss in the Halls of Reflection, I think thats the same guy)
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Adventurer

Think this entry on wowpedia says it all, really.
    from the bottom of the page

We were there, when a world of limitless adventure opened up before us. We rose defiantly, against all those that threatened the peace of our kingdoms. We ventured to a new alien world, and cast the lords of shadow and flame back into the abyss. It was we who held the line as death itself rose like a tide to swallow everything we held dear. We have endured the breaking of the world, and must now face the Destroyer and end his cycle of destruction. But soon we will face a new chapter. An adventure unlike any we have known thus far. A mystery shrouded by superstition, a land of forgotten power and ancient magics, and a people that may well change the fate of us all. For all the challenges we have faced and all the places we have been, Azeroth's limits have yet to be revealed.

because it's a very good description of our achievements and what we are starting to do soon.

in lore we are right under heroes like thrall, malfurion etc. we are mercs that do job for loot and gold, we work for your own profit and glory, we are not tied to a faction but we earn their respect with your actions, and usually the most powerfull of us are employed in difficult task like accompany thrall back in time to recover the dragon soul, assist tirion into the frozen throne, helping jaina,thrall and tirande defeting archimonde etc.
    In game we are more limited cuz game mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post

I agree. I've always preferred to just be a random scrub adventurer who steps up when the main goodie of the expansion can't spare the time or needs a few extra hands. I was one of those vanilla players who thought the idea of the player characters killing major lore characters like Illidan and Arthas was unthinkable but I quickly got used to it. Blizzard can't just keep supplying us with 2nd rate bad guys to kill, sooner or later we have to deal with the big leaguers. I think by this point we've been somewhat elevated to veteran status, we're getting the hang of this world-defending business and, while we're not up on the same level as characters like Sylvanas, Varian, Malfurion and the rest they respect our consistent ability to get shit done.
    "Lordaeron belongs to the Forsaken. Always and forever!"

Perfection is so horribly dull, don't you think?

Deleted
    Would you be able to destroy the frostmourne alone in current content ?

Would you be able to kamehameha DW in current content ?
    Would you be able to one-man Garrosh and make him flee before he gets the fatal blow ?

Would you be able to solo-STOP Horde/Ally army and Thrall + Varian in current ( UC quest .. Jaina btw ) ?

List can go on , but i guess you got your answer. We are nothing more than barely good soldiers.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    World of Warcraft is kind of set up as your a "hero", everyone experiences the same quests. You are all technically the heroes of like Stonetalon and every DK has technically gotten shadowmourne. At least that's the way I would look at it, it's not how the developers have explained it, but it's the best explanation for me personally.

It's just continuity, like the reason we have such inflated character health pools and damage is it explains how our characters are practically demi-God's now, or at least have potential to be. When our characters went into Sunwell/Ulduar they vastly improved in power.

But seeing as this is a MMO everyone has to have a character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandush View Post
    head cut off? just a setback!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LolretKJ View Post
    We fight for gold and loot.
    I like to imagine myself as a pirate now and then. :P

Deleted
    Special Ops, 25 normal sw guards against lich king heroic ?

We're pretty much worthless in lore.

That's why Rift and Aion lore is instantly better. It's based around you as well as the characters in the story. You're actually important.

WoW's whole adventurer bullshit is old.
    They try to pretend you're a 'hero' but they never make you feel as such. NPC's never marvel at you. We somehow save the world 10 times and there isn't even a fucking statue of us. Apparently people who save the world shop at the same general store as civilians so often that no one even gives a shit.

In TBC places like Shat Skyguard recognize you as you get closer to exalted, but even then they just regurgitate the same phrase over and over.
    Last edited by Shoridayo; 2012-04-16 at 05:22 PM.
    There are good people in every corner of the planet. Unfortunately, the Earth is round.