Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Other MMO's using WoW sounds?

A while back I've read a topic about this Acclaim MMO, Spellborn. When I checked a video about it the first thing that came to my mind is that I heard the sound from Holy Fire during the video. The video can be found here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNHhv...layer_embedded
    It starts around 13 sec.

Now I'm checking this other game 9Dragons also by Acclaim and I can hear atleast 3 sounds used in WoW. Here's the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqYUZ...layer_embedded

The very first sound sounds alot like the "Discovered <insert map area> xx exp. gained".
    Then roughly around 10 seconds when storm vs. storm fades in I can hear a clear mage armor sound buff.
    Third sound comes in at about 15 seconds, you useally hear this when you apply Sacred Shield on a target.

Is this a coincedence I can spot so many or is it just me?

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Other MMO's using WoW sounds?

For some reason, I hear them at 9Dragons.
    The beginning of the clip.

simply, there is a bunch of media and arts that noone reserved copyrights to. you can often see / hear them in many games / movies / webpages / whatever.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

there's also that fucking annoying firetruck sirene sound everyone's always using
    or the children's playground laughing, or the police walkie talkie babbling

...hate hearing the same shit all over
    the ensidia ban was clever marketing

oh noes, someone is using engineering

Wait? We play World of warcraft? I thought we were playing diablo 2 from all the sounds I was hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroflip
    Wait? We play World of warcraft? I thought we were playing diablo 2 from all the sounds I was hearing.
    Not enough mana
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)

I'm honestly frightened by what is taking place on the BlizzCon forum.

That one cat sound that goes" rooar-arh" was in the game pokemon puzzle in 2000, used by a nidoking.

Since were on the subject, anyone ever watch that show Real Monsters on Nickelodeon many yeas ago. Theres a scream that plays at the end of the opening that i hear in movies and tv shows all the time. The same scream. It sounds like someones falling or something.
    Thats all.

There are many widely used sound effects you can hear in movies and video games alike. The lion roar Aciddragoon mention is a wonderful example.

Now I wonder if we'll ever hear the Ding sound in another game...

Or the male gnome death sound...

Or the stave-crit sound (I love that one)...
    To purr, or not to purr...

hey anarch are you referring to the Wilhelm movie scream?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbYsoEasio

To this day I still hear sounds from old school Doom pop up in all sorts of games. Not terribly surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroflip

This. Venture anywhere in Outlands. Then, load and reinstall (hehe) Diablo II: Lord of Destruction. Get to the Act 5, and BAM. Outlands. The end.

Also, ambiance sound clips can be purchased or received for free from multiple outlets. As such, those can be implemented into numerous songs/etc.

I once had a cell phone ringtone that, for some reason, had the same sound scape as the Incubus - Pardon Me song. It was on my old Nokia phone (some Beach/Tropical theme). No idea why, but every time I heard the song I caught myself digging in my pocket for my phone.

Anyone else have random, weird things?

I also heard a song from Emperor (in my youth I was all about that kind of stuff) with a specific line or two that sounded just like my door bell. Every time I'd put I Am the Black Wizards -- which was usually during Star Craft play -- I'd find myself pausing and going for the door.
    Johnny: Dad! I did it?!
    Dad: Did what?! Cure Cancer?!?!!
    Johnny: Nah; I made the first post on a forum sticky! All shall tremble before me in my awesomeness!!!1!

Wazdakka

Sounds get around. They get around so much it's absurd.

You know what's worse than hearing a familiar WoW sound in another MMO? Watching Top Gear and hearing music from Command and Conquer 3.

15+ Year Old Account

If blizzard made those sounds i actualy hope blizzard sues them just to put up an example to other.

blizz got copyrights on everything they made, u dont steal other ppls work even if it's as simple as a 1 sec lasting sound.

if blizz did not make the sounds they did not steal the sound from blizz and blizz cant do shit
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by xstatica
    hey anarch are you referring to the Wilhelm movie scream?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbYsoEasio
    lol that's the first thing i thought of.. I guess now it's a hollywood running joke?

tesla coils from red alert sound is used everywhere also, not from wow but still :P

To answer the threads question and my others. Almost all sounds in video games are stock, some custom, many companies will use and alter the same sounds in audio editing software like adobe premiere, much like web development companies use stock photos and edit them in photo shop and after effects to be place on web sites.

Yeah, they're mostly stock sounds. Often copyrighted by some company which sells off the use of the sounds in packages to companies. The one I usually recognize most often in TV, movies, and games is the old wooden door creaking when opened sound.

Quote Originally Posted by LrdPhoenix
    Yeah, they're mostly stock sounds. Often copyrighted by some company which sells off the use of the sounds in packages to companies. The one I usually recognize most often in TV, movies, and games is the old wooden door creaking when opened sound.
    Heroes of might and magic 2 had a sound when you discovered something, that plays in O so many southpark episodes it drives me nuts
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)

I'm honestly frightened by what is taking place on the BlizzCon forum.